Bought a new "truck" levergun...with lousy phone pics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

Bought a new "truck" levergun...with lousy phone pics

Post by 1894c »

I bought a new "truck" levergun this weekend (this forum is bad news). It's a Rossi 92 in .357 Mag, stainless, 16" barrel. Overall the build is good, was surprised that the action was smooth, the color of the wood is nice, the fit of the stock is ok (where the wood and the metal meet it's tight on one side and has a small gap on the other). There are some tool marks, I like the all-metal recoil pad :) , the front and rear sights are serviceable too, but I like the William FP receiver sight better, so that will be my next purchase.

The only cosmetic issue that I see is the area where the barrel and the top of the receiver meet (see lousy phone camera photo) it's not square--this may be an issue, we'll see; although I cycled 8 rounds of Speer Gold-Dot 135gr. hollow points through it twice and loading, feeding, and ejecting were good, the bullets were not deformed -- didn't shoot said bullets, just cycled them to test function. Going to order some fluff & buff parts from STEVE'S GUNZ today.

Yeah I know it's not a vintage Win.92, nor is it a new Winchester 92 from Japan, looked at both--only could afford the Rossi, sold my Win.94AE to cover the purchase. So I will be taking the '92 out shooting this Friday and we'll see--in the end I bought it as a truck gun... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 1894c on Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Bought a new "truck" levergun...with lousy phone pics

Post by Griff »

Just remember that it's made out of stain"LESS" steel... not some fabled stain"FREE" stuff! Nice lookin' shiney gun! :P I like the wood too!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

If u decide u don't like it, send it to me :wink: . I'm in the market for the exact same gun :mrgreen:
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Send it to steve's guns. Or use his CD to slick that baby up. You won't regret it. Great choice Best of luck
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

As to what Griff said:
Series 400 stainless actually has a high carbon content and it WILL rust.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

1894c wrote:

The only cosmetic issue that I see is the area where the barrel and the top of the receiver meet (see lousy phone camera photo) it's not square--this may be an issue, we'll see;

------------

sold my Win.94AE to cover the purchase. )
That area thats not square may not affect function, but i guess you will find out when you do the range test --- if it shoots them 30" to the right or left at 20 yards, then you might have an issue :o :o

--- :x i was in a good mood until that last sentence ! :lol: -(JK ) -- but seriously, - 94 AE's make good "truck guns" too --- i assume it wasnt in a pistol caliber though, huh
----- Doug
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

That is one of the handiest and most practical leverguns out there - for truck, home, or horseback...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

You got no reason to look down in another man's presence for buying that gun. It's a good one.

It's got a couple cosmetics flaws, but that's just personality.

Just think how happy your truck will be. :mrgreen:

Well done!

:mrgreen:

P.S. Sorry left out an important word in the first sentence :oops:
Last edited by FWiedner on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Personal preference, but I'd get it Bead Blasted to take the shine off...

Oh wait, I did.

:mrgreen:

Steve/NKJ did it for me.

Handiest. Gun. Ever.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Streetstar wrote:
1894c wrote:

The only cosmetic issue that I see is the area where the barrel and the top of the receiver meet (see lousy phone camera photo) it's not square--this may be an issue, we'll see;

------------

sold my Win.94AE to cover the purchase. )
That area thats not square may not affect function, but i guess you will find out when you do the range test --- if it shoots them 30" to the right or left at 20 yards, then you might have an issue :o :o

--- :x i was in a good mood until that last sentence ! :lol: -(JK ) -- but seriously, - 94 AE's make good "truck guns" too --- i assume it wasn't in a pistol caliber though, huh
I agree-- Win.94AE's are fine guns, but didn't shoot it for a long time (lost interest)--I really like reloading for pistol cartridges and the .357 mag has turned out to be my favorite (have a Ruger SP-101 & GP-100 in 357). I also hunt with a Marlin 1894 in .44 mag (don't own a pistol in that cartridge, because to be dead honest I really sucked with it after 25 yds, traded the .44 mag pistol to get my Rem-Marlin 1894c in 357 mag) ... :)
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I think you did real good with that little carbine. I reckon my Rossi blue SRC .357 has now become my most of the time truck gun. Hard to back off on my old 1892 Winchester 32wcf rifle as a truck gun, had it since 1953. You will really enjoy carrying and shooting your Rossi.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Ironsights wrote:Personal preference, but I'd get it Bead Blasted to take the shine off...
Fine grit sandpaper and enough time to watch a decent western movie will also work, though it won't be as pretty... :wink: Works on the stock, too...

Before:

After:

Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Very nice looking gun; I'm sure it will serve your purpose admirably. Give us a range-report update after shooting.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:Personal preference, but I'd get it Bead Blasted to take the shine off...
Fine grit sandpaper and enough time to watch a decent western movie will also work, though it won't be as pretty... :wink:
I've got 2 guns I need to do it to, but I don't have a tv... so I guess the scotchbrite method is right out... :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Congrats! i hear nothing but good things about the .357 lever, so i'm sure you'll have a hoot. They seem to all but fly off the shelves when they're in stock. That off geometry receiver has me a tad concerned tho. [runs off to check his recently acquired .454] :cry:
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

this is a nice-looking thread.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Good gun, good caliber, good golly, what's not to like? :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

That's a nice lookin carbine ya got there. It would make a nice patrol carbine too.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Good gun, good caliber, good golly, what's not to like? :mrgreen:
Yep. +1 Enjoy!
Old Law Dawg
1894c

Post by 1894c »

...insert delete here...
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Rusty wrote:That's a nice lookin carbine ya got there. It would make a nice patrol carbine too.
thought the same thing, in-service-training next month...all i need to do is have a bushmaster, colt, or s&w m&p tacticool logo on the side-plate and i'll be good to go...i'll tell the ranger officer that it's a retro-patrol rifle and it's nypd or lapd approved...probably need to attach a flash-light too...yeah that'll work... :)
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

they are great little rifles i have had one in my truck for the last 3 years the only time it comes out is to shoot or clean.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I currently use my .410 Snake Charmer as my "truck gun" for reasons of size and broad application. To me a "Truck Gun" needs to be more of a survival gun than anything, and really a .410 covers that role better than my beloved .357

However, I am looking to do an AJMD "Night Scout" treatment to a Stainless Rossi RioGrand .410 as soon as it makes an appearance (too bad it's 2-1/2" only though :( ).

Since a .410 isn't a "real" levergun caliber anyway, I figure I won't get struck by lightning. :mrgreen:

I wonder if the Ramline "Trail Tech" 336 stocks will fit the Rossi?
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Current truck gun is a Chicom rippoff 1887 IAC. That SS 92 is sweet.
jager3
Levergunner

Post by jager3 »

Author, what great tastes you have in "truck guns"; I've got the same gun, but not as pretty wood :)! Mine will feed .38 Special and .357 interchangeably, and is very accurate. It is one of the most fun guns to shoot that I own. Congratulations!