checkering

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

checkering

Post by two bit okie »

In looking at rifles that have the negitive pressed decoration, I wondered if I were to take a "checkered" stock and one of brownells checkering tools, could I use the pressed checkering for a guide and recut the decorations to a useful checkering.

Or am i just out of luck with a pressed stock?
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Re: checkering

Post by damienph »

two bit okie wrote:In looking at rifles that have the negitive pressed decoration, I wondered if I were to take a "checkered" stock and one of brownells checkering tools, could I use the pressed checkering for a guide and recut the decorations to a useful checkering.

Or am i just out of luck with a pressed stock?
I have no personal experience doing this but I have heard that it can be done but you need to make sure that your checkering tool is the same size (lines per inch?) as the pressed checkering.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've seen articles on 're-cutting' checkering, and the pictures made it look fairly easy, and results attractive. Never did it myself, though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yep - I use a single-row Dem-Bart checkering head, and connect the depressions in each row, in both directions - a little at a time (shallow strokes - a checkering tool is basically a fine wood file/rasp).

Eventually, the diamonds will form up nicely, and some stain (if needed) and/or stock finish can then be toothbrushed into the checkering pattern.

Just don't try it on the kitchen table, or with the stock in your lap - secure it firmly in either a home-built checkering vise (clamp, really) or a padded woodworker's bench vise.