RANGE REPORT: new Rossi 92' 357 mag "truck" levergun...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

RANGE REPORT: new Rossi 92' 357 mag "truck" levergun...

Post by 1894c »

I recently bought a stainless steel Rossi 92 .357 Mag. with a 16" bbl. Wasn't sure about accuracy and function, so before I took it shooting today (02.17.2012) I cycled the action some to help break it in and gave it a good cleaning. I bought two boxes of factory stuff (busy week--no time to reload) Fiocchi 357 with a 142 grain bullet (FMJTC) and a box of 158 grain hollow-points (XTPHP).

My distance was only 35 yards and my targets today were clay pigeons and a few soda cans, my goal was to break the gun in and get a feel for accuracy and function. OK--can this rifle shoot, I used the iron sights that came with this gun and was breaking clays all day--hits on the soda cans came easy (accurate at-minute-of-soda can).

I have a Rem-Marlin 1894c which has proven to be a good shooter and this Rossi is right there too. The recoil is nothing, my shooting buddy enjoyed it also. The one thing I did notice is that this gun is short, I once owned a Win.94 Trapper in 30/30 (used it when I hunted in the Adirondacks) and the Rossi seems a little shorter than that.

The action was good, not great, but as I continued shooting it smoothed up allot (no FTF, this gun ate everything). I really like the 92' action and design so I'm thinking I need one more in .44 Mag (yeah one more--right). I don't think I'm going to put a receiver sight on this levergun as I usually do, I may simply up-grade it to Marble's iron sights; WHY--because I think I want to maintain the simplicity of this trapper. Bottom-line: you want a working man's truck-jeep-levergun I would highly recommend a Rossi 92. I also ordered pieces-parts and the CD from Steve Young http://store.stevesgunz.com/, talked to him on the phone--what a wealth of information and a true gentlemen... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Re: RANGE REPORT: new Rossi 92' 357 mag "truck" levergun...

Post by gak »

Sounds like you're good to go! Great little gun.
Rich N
Levergunner

Post by Rich N »

Thanks for the review. I'd sounds like you have a nice little rifle.
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

Thank you. You have answered the needs of many I'm sure. Been looking into the blued model with the large finger lever as it reminds me of a Win. 94 I had once in .32Spl. (miss that one!) and the Rossi in .357 was of great interest to me. Now I know it will do the job!

Thanks again for taking the time to provide this report on the weapon.

Wade
Aim low boys! They're riddin' shetlands!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nice report, thanks. I'm thinkin that for a truck gun a 16-18" barrel would be just about perfect.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I really like the 92' action and design so I'm thinking I need one more in .44 Mag (yeah one more--right).
I like the way you think...you'll eventually want a .45 Colt one too, I presume... 8)

That little gun with a Marble's "bullseye" rear sight will be a ton of fast-shootin', accurate, FUN...!

I shot this group right after mounting the sight, so had to drift it left just a bit, but since then the groups are still nice and tight, and centered.

I'm assuming I can find a .357 Mag load it likes as well as the .38 Specials - and I'll have to hunt down that link on 'accurizing the levergun' so I can make sure the barrel heat-up isn't causing the stringing due to magazine-tube binding, but at 40 yards, the Marble's "bullseye" surely lives up to it's name.

You'll love that gun - and I highly recommend the Marble's sights.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

AJMD429,
TELL ME MORE ABOUT THAT SIGHT!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Mescalero wrote:AJMD429, TELL ME MORE ABOUT THAT SIGHT!
Here's a link to thread on Bullseye sight.

It's this one for $15.99 at MidwayUSA.com

About the same size as a "full buckhorn" style sight, but way less obstruction of the field-of-view, and way faster (see the thread link above).
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Wish I could say the same for my Rossi 454. Cycles the 454 all day, but fails with .45lc; half the reason i bought it. Think I'll pay the extra next time and skip Rossi for the time being.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Panzercat wrote:Wish I could say the same for my Rossi 454. Cycles the 454 all day, but fails with .45lc; half the reason i bought it. Think I'll pay the extra next time and skip Rossi for the time being.
I think you might want to check your own topic on this subject. Nate is THE man on the 92s. Listen to him.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Panzercat wrote:Wish I could say the same for my Rossi 454. Cycles the 454 all day, but fails with .45lc; half the reason i bought it. Think I'll pay the extra next time and skip Rossi for the time being.
Not sure what you mean - as far as I know, the ONLY .454 Casull levergun is the Rossi, so 'paying extra' would get you what...?

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I know what you mean about a 92 .357, mine is just about the perfect little carbine for anything I will run onto here in north Arkansaw.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15