44 Special vs 45 Colt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

44 Special vs 45 Colt

Post by Old Savage »

I say there is no practical difference - let the games begin :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 44 Special vs 45 Colt

Post by Mescalero »

You are not content to stir the effluent, you intend to use an Evenrude!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Old Savage wrote:I say there is no practical difference - let the games begin :)
I agree with you - unless you're talking about factory ammo. Then I don't.
The .45 Colt 250-255gr conical flat point at 860 FPS is a better load than the .44 Specials 246gr RNL at 760 or whatever it's doing.

Now if we load both with Keith bullets and keep the velocities equal, no practical difference.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I am going to go with .44 special,
1) it is my current fetish
2) more available guns for my taste
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

There is too a difference, the 44 uses .430 diameter bullets and the 45 uses .452's :mrgreen: nannernanna nana...
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I dont bother with 44 spl.....
since I have a 44mag...I just load them light...
so I vote for 45lc....sounds tougher too!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Old Savage wrote:I say there is no practical difference - let the games begin :)
1) Less pressure, less wear and tear for same results in mid-range loads
2) 44's don't shoot in a .45
3) Can shoot .45 ACP's in my .45 Colt Ruger - more availability
4) Less blast on ears in defense situation
5) .45 is cooler
6) Once again, since you're starting an argument, my Dad can whip your Dad.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Thats kind of like asking if you would you rather have a brunette thats 5'4" and 115lbs or a blonde that is 5'7" and 128lbs? :P :lol: And by the way they both work great :D
Last edited by 3leggedturtle on Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I agree!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think John Taffin wrote that the .44 special was the most accurate.

I think it was Jeff Cooper that said speed's fine but accuracy's final.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Moot point. a .45 Colt is infinitely more useful for me. I don't have a .44Spl.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

3leggedturtle,
How do you know that?
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Don McDowell wrote:There is too a difference, the 44 uses .430 diameter bullets and the 45 uses .452's :mrgreen: nannernanna nana...
Yeah, and the .44 special or magnum is a .429 fit, whereas the .452 has to accommodate itself in .454, .455, .452, 451, .453, chambers/bores...ad nauseum. Or at least that's what I read every time a post is started here about the .45 Colt and the woes and complaints associated with them. And the quest to find just that magic size, bullet hardness, powder, primer, lube, brass and so forth that doesn't lead or smoke cases, etc., etc, etc.! That alone ought to be enough for Colt cartridge fans to just flat give up. I have. Way too much trouble and life's too short, IMHO. I prefer shooting over trouble shooting! :wink:
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Bull.

45 Colt is more cartridge. Simple as that. It can be loaded way beyond the 44 Special. More on par with 44 Mag.

I like em both.

The 44 Special in it's standard pressure loadings is equal to the 45 ACP and a darned good defensive round.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Couldn't wait to read the rest - 44 s do shoot in a 45 - the cases just look like a beer glass. :D :D :D

And John 2:44

Oh yeah!

Sorry boys, Elmer left the 45 for the 44. :lol:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Elmer, i believe (though don't know for sure), might have stayed with the 45 exclusively if he had the beefy modern guns like the Rugers or Freedom Arms with which to experiment. Up to a point there is no practical difference, but you can take a .45 Colt way beyond the capabilities of a .44 Special in the right firearm.

In other words, if you like to hotrod, the .44 Special is like a stock Camaro, while the .45 Colt is more like a Ferrarri :D
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have to buy more popcorn for this one.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

OS,
you are a ---- stirrer extrodanair!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

I'll play with you pards...

In the field there's no difference that I can see. A 250gr. Keith going out at 1000 to 1050fps. in any of them (including the .41 mag) will shoot thru deer & elk with no problem. Having used .44mags (5 of them) & 45 Colts at midrange velocities on deer, black bear & elk...I can't see any difference. They work great on small game too.

In '82 I had to move from Cal. to Utah (followed the work). That winter averaged -10. My buddies & I fed ourselves & loved ones with the sixguns. We all got a lot better as field shots. Keith's load in the .44 zipped right through rabbits & jacks. Left nothing but a nice .430 hole. The .45 did the same. Learned how to gut & skin a rabbit in 15 seconds (my buddy Jim could do it in ten).

Work played out & we were kept in vittles with my Smith's & Ruger. After a short while they loved any of those sixguns & could hit their mark on command. They were a great bunch of Pards.

Jackrabbit (only in the winter below freezing) tastes pretty good with wild asparagras (sp?) & potatoes when you're hungry. Vernal can get real cold & Diamond mtn. helped keep us up & running. It's a wildly beautiful place, Zumbo lived there at the time in Dry Fork, before he went crazy.

Finn Aagard wrote that there is no difference in the field between the 7x57 Mauser thru the '06. Honestly, I haven't seen any difference myself over the years.

Roil the pot if you will & have a good time at it, make your choice & then go kill something......then eat it. :mrgreen:

After 45+ years of shooting these sixguns my choice is the .45 Colt in a custom Ruger Blackhawk (so what!). Any of those listed will do a terrific job. They've all worked like the Bees Knees for me to put something on the table.

Oh, I forgot...the .401 Herters Powermag in a buddies hands made some crazy long shots...if'n y'all have one, it'll do the job just fine too.

LB
Last edited by LeverBob on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

3leggedturtle wrote:Thats kind of like asking if you would you rather have a brunette thats 5'4" and 115lbs or a blonde that is 5'7" and 128lbs? :P :lol: And by the way they both work great :D

The best response I have ever heard!
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I have a number of both and pretty much agree. I understand that the 45 colt doesnt need as much pressure to do the same job because of case volume. The one thing that bothers me a little is the thinner chambers in the 45 colt. I like the slightly thicker clyinder walls of the 44 special. Maybe I need not worry, but the thought is there. Also it is easier to double drop powder in the colt for a double charge. That said, I like and own both.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

.44 Special....45 Colt...I say yes... :)
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

RIHMFIRE wrote:I dont bother with 44 spl.....
since I have a 44mag...I just load them light...
so I vote for 45lc....sounds tougher too!
It takes $ to go fast...cubic inches matter. Want to run a mouse motor or an Elephant motor?

45 Colt is the big block, neaner, neaner, nearner.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

LB
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Quote:
"45 Colt is the big block, neaner, neaner, nearner...."

And if you've ever driven a big block Vette vs small, the latter is a lot better all 'rounder and daily driver :) Neaner...
But seriously, my choice is .44 Sp "just because" - it's what I have and trended toward, having started with .44 Mags. I too like that extra margin, especially in the midframes--even if I never really test it--but both are great.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

3leggedturtle wrote:Thats kind of like asking if you would you rather have a brunette thats 5'4" and 115lbs or a blonde that is 5'7" and 128lbs? :P :lol: And by the way they both work great :D
Then some idget throws in a 5'-10", 160 lb. Readhead! (yep, Ginger was quite a gal! :mrgreen:)...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

But then again, this isn't about the 44 Mag even if it is "neaner, neaner, nearner.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:" 44 Spl is the sweet spot and if you want more - well there is always the 44 Mag. One advantage with the 45 Colt is that if you want to buy factory and don't want "neaner, neaner, nearner.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: " you can buy it in 45 Colt and 44 Spl if you can find those 44 Spls and have one.

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

If Miss SI is a .44 Special I have been wrong for years and will repent. I can change.. :wink: .
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You are granted absolution my son and paint is all she is wearing. Natalie Gulbis - golfer. And LB - I will see your puny 44 Mag and raise you a 454.

LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Ya got me OS, I have no earthly desire to wear out my joints using a .454 Casull.
Oh........by the way......NEANER,NEANER,NEANER :twisted: :twisted:
(WE NEED AN EMOTICON WITH IT'S TONGUE STICKING OUT. BADLY...EVEN!!!)

LB
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

In this era of close quarters combat, you guys are focused on the wrong thing. I say one rifle butt to the nose is just as good as different rifle butt to the nose :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If you get back up after I knock you down with a .44spl, and then you get back up after I knock you a 2nd time with the .45C, then I prolly got BIG Problems no lawyer can solve in time!!

rimrock
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Since I no longer have a .44spl, (it dissapeared) I 'll say my Colt SAA .45 Colt that I have been carrying since 1959 is certainly better in all respects.
I sold a four month old Ruger .44 mag to buy the Colt, a much better gun.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well LB mine will likely not be shot as a 454 unless it is ---P. Oh you meant nanner, nanner, nanner. I get it.
Last edited by Old Savage on Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The .45 Colt 'series' does have the advantage of 'factory' loads and cases from the Schofield to the Colt and then to the Casull - quite a wide spectrum of power.

With the .44 you're limited to Russian, Special, and Magnum, which doesn't rise to the level of the Casull.

Still, within the original poster's parameters - "44 Special vs. .45 Colt", things aren't as unequal; More manufacturers have made ".45 Colt +P+" capable guns vs. ".44 Special +P+" guns, but the .44 Magnum guns fill the latter role, and many are not much bigger than the .44 Special guns.

To get to the Casull's level of performance, though - you can't just go to an upwards-compatable .44 Special-shooting gun; you'd have to go to something like a .444 Marlin.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Less filling vs. tastes great.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

At SAAMI levels, in Colts, clones and other "lesser" guns, it's Ginger VS Mary Ann, Ford VS Chevy.

Get into a RUGER or other stout gun, hands down the .45 Colt beats the .44, even in the "Remington (extra special) Magnum" flavor, and the .44 spl. is left looking like a red-headed stepchild outside the dance.
Certified gun nut