Anyone ever had a Greyhound ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Anyone ever had a Greyhound ?

Post by 2ndovc »

Dog racing is pretty big in OH.

Every season they put down dogs that have grown too old or just couldn't compete.

I've always thought they were really cool and have read a lot about them.

Would love to hear from someone that's had one.

It may be a bit before I'm ready for another dog but I'm trying to decide if I want another Lab, a Greyhound, or another pound puppy. But still going to be awhile. It's going to be some time
Before I'm ready for another dog.
Three is good for now.
But .....
You never know.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anyone ever had a Greyhound ?

Post by FWiedner »

I've never owned a greyhound myself, but have met and spoken with several folks who have rescued retired racers.

To a person they have only good things to say. They seem to be friendly, affectionate, good dogs.

Not as high-strung as one might think.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Oddly, they require little actual space to live in (being kennel-bred dogs) but they DO need plenty of exercise or they will begin to have psychological problems. I.e., Greyhounds are GREAT pets for High Rise dwelling Fitness Nuts.

A Greyhound is not a "loyal" dog in the Lab sense, but more loyal like a favored cat... they would be Lap Pets if allowed and tend to be followers/chasers (duh).

I don't think you would be disappointed if you adopted one, though they are much, much different creatures than a "traditional" gundog or even mutt...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have never had one but folks who have say they are GREAT !! :wink:
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Neighbor has 2 and sponsors more. They are great dogs. Tend to be a bit timid at the beginning but usually quiet and inquisitive. Murder on cats and squirrels or other small animals. Love to run and need space to run. Fenced yard or fenced dog park is suggested.
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Coyote hunters use them here. They drive country roads until they see a coyote, turn 3 or 4 greyhounds loose to tire out the coyote. Once the coyote is tuckered out and the hunters catch up, they turn loose the killer greyhound to finish the coyote off. Coyotes are bringing $50.00. Don't let them run coyotes on my place, just doesn't seem sporting.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've got about half of my 1 1/2 ac fenced in because of my crazy Lab and long legged Dane.

Its still too soon for another dog but I've always loved the look of Greyhounds and would rather adopt a needy dog than spend big $ on a pure bred. Labs don't count though. I'd pay dearly for another big sweet black Lab.

I went too great lenghts to find the breader of my Dearest Lab Tasha. Finally found her AKC papers. Went for a drive to Clinton, OH after work one day hoping that AKC Lab pups
Sign was still there.

Found the property but all that was left was the old split
rail fence. The house and barns were gone.
Don't know what happened but I hope that sweet lady Katie is ok.

j

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

2ndovc,
Had a retired greyhound, when I first brought him home he slept in the closet for a while.
They had put him in a crate at night.
He got out of it and was a good dog and a loyal friend.
If you are used to an independent dog, you will have to have patience with him/her to redevelop that part of thier persona.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

They smell like hounds and got to run/exercise. HOWEVER, every one I've ever known has been friendly and relaxed when not chasing a lure.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

The ex-racers do seem to be a bit emotionally stunted, but respond well to love and come out of their shells. These guys are actually couch potatoes at heart, and love to lean against their humans. Very sweet.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Ditto. Friend of mine had a rescue greyhound. Said she was a great companion. Good with his kid also.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

cowboykell wrote:Coyote hunters use them here. They drive country roads until they see a coyote, turn 3 or 4 greyhounds loose to tire out the coyote. Once the coyote is tuckered out and the hunters catch up, they turn loose the killer greyhound to finish the coyote off. Coyotes are bringing $50.00. Don't let them run coyotes on my place, just doesn't seem sporting.

cowboykell,

One time I shot at and missed a coyote. The coyote took-off and boy could it run. I'm wondering if they are as fast as a greyhound.? I've noticed in lists of animal speeds they are ranked pretty high.

Don
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Jason,
A lady I know has 4 of them and loves em.

Another dog(beside the lovely labs)that is such a absolutely cool dog is (don't laugh)the full size poodle(the big one)
OMG---my daughter has one(a male,apricot colored) Jason, let me say this dog is absolutely unreal.
We baby sit him some weekends,he is 9 months old and he is as smart as most people. :lol:
Daughter keeps his hair longer so he looks kinda like a big airedale or something.(not dreadlocks but kinda mid length)
Has cut his hair twice(lady does it for $30)
A extremely nice dog,but will guard you/family/home like no ones business.
He sleeps with us and there is NO shedding/dander/smell??????/
He don't chew(ruin stuff)does everything but write his name and gives all my 95lb 2 year old lab he can handle.
But he is much different on the protection deal,but extremely friendly when you tell him(their nice,its ok)
I never would have believed a poodle could be this way.
He also likes to just chill on the couch and relax.
Absolutely stunning dog($300 she paid for him,purebred)and what a dog! His name is Cooper! (a big dog)
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

An avid jogger in my old neighborhood back in Indiana had a rescue greyhound. I talked to him one day when the two were out walking. He absolutely loved that dog but he bought him hoping he would be a good jogging partner. However, the dog steadfastly refused to run again, ever. Now that I'm retired I know how the the old boy felt.

Bob in Friday Harbor
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yeah!
You can't get me ANYWHERE near a plane now.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

soon 2 retire wrote:An avid jogger in my old neighborhood back in Indiana had a rescue greyhound. I talked to him one day when the two were out walking. He absolutely loved that dog but he bought him hoping he would be a good jogging partner. However, the dog steadfastly refused to run again, ever. Now that I'm retired I know how the the old boy felt.

Bob in Friday Harbor
:lol: I resemble that as well! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Brian Kilcommon says the Full size poodle is the best dog when you have kids. Perfect baby sister/guard dog for your kids.
Corrine a friends wife has one and it is a hunter. It will take on anything that moves. But once it stops moving the poodle looses interest and walks away. It got a slow moving shrunk the other day.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have a Greyhound sewing machine ....... does that count?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Joe,
the short answer is no.
The good news my mother has an in perfect condition a Singer treadle sewing machine :P
pneuby
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pneuby »

a friend has rescued a few and kept one for a long time. They will kill neighborhood stray cats. The cats run, they chase...end of story. I read this thread and would agree with what most have posted. You may get a mixed bag, emotionally, with a critter that has been bred as a tool, and not a a pet. But, most turn out ok.

The one thing I could not stand is that it's like petting a skeleton with fur. :shock:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Mescalero wrote:Joe,
the short answer is no.
The good news my mother has an in perfect condition a Singer treadle sewing machine :P
Well drat. It should count .... it runs fast.
Greyhound front view.JPG
The better news, I have four treadle machines. 3 Singers and a Franklin.
All of 'em work.

Just like Lays Potato Chips, you can't have just one.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Back on topic. I have never had a Greyhound dog. But from what I've heard I would have no problems with one "IF" I had enough acres for the dog to run in. They are one dog I just would not want to coop up.

Joe
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

pneuby wrote:a friend has rescued a few and kept one for a long time. They will kill neighborhood stray cats. The cats run, they chase...end of story. I read this thread and would agree with what most have posted. You may get a mixed bag, emotionally, with a critter that has been bred as a tool, and not a a pet. But, most turn out ok.

The one thing I could not stand is that it's like petting a skeleton with fur. :shock:

The long lean dog has always appealed to me. My Abbey looked a bit like a Greyhound and I
Would like a dog that has some of her physical traits. Plus I've always loved to rescue animals and people for that matter. Just part of my being.

We got some more bad news from the vet today. The Lab we got from a rescue shelter last spring has a heart problem. She may be fine or it could develop into something more serious.
No matter what she will have a comfortable and loving home for as long as is able.

Not a big fan of Feb. 2012!

j

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jason,

Give your Lab a big pat on the head for me. And don't give up on her. She may well just turn around and recover.

Joe
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

The Danish in below video looks a lot like my Charlie now!
I did not even know about these dogs??
Watched it,called the wife and she said hey thats Charlie.
I said ----yep,but that is not a Lab :lol: :shock:
And we paid big bucks for our big boy! :lol:
I love that look in a dog!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&featu ... VwlMVYqMu4
If that big one ain't pumpkin pie don't know what is!(melts my heart)look at that face when he is looking at others plate :lol:
The other one looks like an older small female lab,not a golden???????
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

no , but i rode in one from the east coast to the west coast one time. :D

hoooboy, i'll never do that again. :roll:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

One thing you have to remember about Greyhounds is they have no body fat or fur to keep warm and cannot be left outside below 50 degrees. ( unless they are running of course) If you dont live in the south, you will have to have sweaters and clothes for the dog for outings
longer than just an hour or so.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

We have friends who adopted a GAP (Greyhounds As Pets)
- it lives with two Labs and is a sweetheart - I admit to being dubious in the beginning - thinking the way they started life, they would never relate to people. I was 100% wrong.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Neighbor has one 2 of those racing dog rescues. He says he can't let them off a leash. 'Hood is full of squirrels though.

His dogs are approachable and seem ok as pets.

He puts sweaters on them in the Michigan winter when they go outside.