67 years ago today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

67 years ago today

Post by JReed »

The portrait of a generation: Old Glory rose over Iwo Jima 67 years ago today
http://www.marines.mil/unit/mcascherryp ... 0aG4XlfRfs
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 67 years ago today

Post by Nath »

Thanks Jeremy :D Big thumbs up from here.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Thanks for the reminder.

Sadly, not one in one hundred high school seniors have a clue about the significance of Iwo Jima, most have never heard of it and none could find it on a map. History is not taught in most public schools any more.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Brave men who endured hardships and great danger for our freedom from tyranny, we owe it to those men to continue the fight.

Thanks Jeremy for the reminder.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The sad part is, I can remember it like it was yesterday.......... :roll: . :roll: . :mrgreen:

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

jnyork wrote:Thanks for the reminder.

Sadly, not one in one hundred high school seniors have a clue about the significance of Iwo Jima, most have never heard of it and none could find it on a map. History is not taught in most public schools any more.
Saddly but most college grads these days don't know either
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That was a great day!!!
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

As Sect'y of the Navy, James Forrestall said at the time:
"Of the Marines on Iwo Jima, uncommon valor was a common virtue"....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I'm pleased my son, a high school senior, knew.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Good post Gunny, thanks.

While we may all know "Freedom isn't free", most of those who enjoy it today don't give a second thought that it was bought with someone else's dime -- or life for that matter.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jnyork wrote:Sadly, not one in one hundred high school seniors have a clue about the significance of Iwo Jima, most have never heard of it and none could find it on a map. History is not taught in most public schools any more.
One more reason there should NOT be "public" (i.e. 'government') schools... If all schools were private, they's be cheaper than public schools, offer better education, and parents could pretty much insist that certain things be taught (or not).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

JReed wrote:

During my 33+ years as an electric lineman, I spent 5 years teaching Electric Power Distribution - "Lineman School" at a Technical College. One of my better students was in my office one day and noticed a civil war era picture of General Ulysses S. Grant on my bulletin board. When he asked me who he was, I asked him who he thought that was... after a few moments of serious thought he said..."the first lineman?"

Nooo.... US Grant, civil war general, later president of the USA? His picture is on a $50 bill? Nope, never heard of him.

I am not kidding. HS graduate, 2 years of college. And now, 13 years later, a line supervisor. Probably still doesn't know.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Gunny, heard about the helos going down. My condolences on the loss of your Marines. I was with my business partner when he got the call. He served with the Cobra pilot. It's amazing that the network of Marine helo pilots past and present is faster than the press.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Yes very sad. Sorry to hear that your partners friend was involved. Yes the green machine spreads news fast. Just goes to show even in the rear with the gear has its hazards. My prayers are with their family's.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

jnyork wrote: Sadly, not one in one hundred high school seniors have a clue about the significance of Iwo Jima, most have never heard of it and none could find it on a map.
JReed wrote: Saddly but most college grads these days don't know either
damienph wrote: During my 33+ years as an electric lineman, I spent 5 years teaching Electric Power Distribution - "Lineman School" at a Technical College. One of my better students was in my office one day and noticed a civil war era picture of General Ulysses S. Grant on my bulletin board. When he asked me who he was, I asked him who he thought that was... after a few moments of serious thought he said..."the first lineman?"

Nooo.... US Grant, civil war general, later president of the USA? His picture is on a $50 bill? Nope, never heard of him.

I am not kidding. HS graduate, 2 years of college. And now, 13 years later, a line supervisor. Probably still doesn't know.
Remember guys we are throwbacks, anachronisms, dinosaurs and old fuddy duddys (or in my case a fuddy duddy in training). We believe in remembering and honoring those who came before us in general and those who fought and died for us in particular.

We feel our free time is best spent studying and sharing these things and many others that are in danger of being lost because they are "old fashioned" instead of following the latest celebrity gossip or whatever "reality" drivel those in charge think we want.

We are a minority that understand "new and improved" might be either or but is rarely both and the latest whiz bang gadget won't help one bit if you don't already have the basics.

I did my best to instill these things into my two stepsons and intend to continue this mission with my grandchild who is on the way (it's too early to know the sex so I don't know if I'm going to be a Grandpa or Grandma yet) as well as any other young'uns I happen to make extended contact with.

Yeah, I get cantankerous when it's past my bedtime... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Not sure it's quite that bad. SHOP is no longer taught in many public schools! But history they actually do cover and both of my boys know about Iwo Jima and can find it on a map. 'Course we live in a nice area in a conservative state so I suppose it's school board and location dependent...

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

(it's too early to know the sex so I don't know if I'm going to be a Grandpa or Grandma yet)

Thanks for reminding me why I shouldn't drink coffee while catching up on this forum. It's very painfull when it comes out my nose.

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JReed wrote:

I think this has been a deliberate effort by the left to destroy the appreciation of our history, what it takes to keep us free, and the true nature of heroism. :evil:

Jeremy, thank you for sharing this - and thank you for your continuing service to our country!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Larkbill wrote:(it's too early to know the sex so I don't know if I'm going to be a Grandpa or Grandma yet)

Thanks for reminding me why I shouldn't drink coffee while catching up on this forum. It's very painfull when it comes out my nose.
In that case, as someone many years ago said "My work here is done"... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Ray Newman wrote:As Sect'y of the Navy, James Forrestall said at the time:
"Of the Marines on Iwo Jima, uncommon valor was a common virtue"....
No, Admiral Nimitz said that.

Forrestal said "Holland, the raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next five hundred years" to General Smith.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Yep RSY beat me to it it was Admiral Nimitz.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

:oops: JR and RSY: yup, you are right. I had the quotes and the names correct, but did not post the correct name when typing it out on the board. :oops:

Rest assured: I did not fall asleep during the history and traditions classes at Parris Isl during the summer of '64 :oops: Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.