Levergun boar hunt 2012

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Levergun boar hunt 2012

Post by 2ndovc »

Just veggin' with Blondie back at the creepy little motel after another great boar hunt. :D

I was disappointed that Joe couldn't make but Ricky K. Took really good care of us today.

I was late getting to the right place. I was on the wrong road tooling around someone else's field :oops:

Was finally able to get through to Ricky and he got me to the right place and
I was out in a blind about 20 minutes later.

One nice big boar came in with ten others but wouldn't come out from behind a little one and then ran off with another bunch that had shown up.
A little while later in a different blind I got a nice big sow that was @ 170 lbs. shot her as she was about to bolt with my .450 marlin.
Knocked her flat but I had hit her about 2" to the rear of what i wanted and she got up and ran.
We followed a beauty blood trail and found her about 60 yds into the brush.

Two of us went back out after lunch and again were successful.
I started at the same spot but moved to a different one on the other side of the farm.
Twenty minutes later a group of @ 15 ran out of the brush. I spotted the one I wanted and waited for her to come out from behind the others. She walked right into my cross hairs and Boom, the .450 slammed another one. This one went down hard, flopped for a few seconds and died. Weighed @ 180 lbs.

Was really nice to see Ricky, Fred, Charles and Vance who just stopped by to chat, again.
Vance didn't even slam my Yankee heritage this time. :D

I'll get pictures up as soon as I can. Haven't gotten the iPad thing down quite yet.
By this time tomorrow I should be back behind the Yankee lines.
:D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Levergun boar hunt 2012

Post by crs »

Jason,
Thanks for writing up the hunt.
Good job, but you forgot to mention the great weather, Rickey's lunch stew, and
Bryans new 4 passenger Kawasaki Mule, that can carry three clients and 4+ dead hogs all at the same time. This UTV is head and shoulders aboove walking through mud and pools of water to the hunting area and to blinds on foot and hauling out one hog per trip on an ATV.

BTW, be sure and check out the bed and breakfast before you leave Clarksville as you may want to try it next trip.
My boar and only picture on my Droid:
Last edited by crs on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Dude, after I saw the way you were pounding them hogs with that 450 Marlin I wasn't about to say ANYTHING to you about being a Yankee :shock: .

Glad you had a good time and enjoy your last night in some of Texas's best accommodations :lol: . Y'all be careful heading home.
Ricky

DWWC
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I'm sorry I couldnt be there! I had new hunting clients that had never even shot a gun before that needed attending to. I got the run-down and it sounds like you guys pounded them pretty good!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Well done Jason. When u figure out iPad picture posting, let me know how
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I was almost late to the party. Took two hogs.

The first was from a blind. Took my time and picked a good sow out of the group that came in. One shot in the noggin with the .356Win using 200gr factory stuff.

I took the second while walking the dirt road at the rear of the property. We scared a bunch out of their beds and they ran off through the trees just off of the side of the road. Some smallish ones scattered out onto the road and I tried to get closer to make an estimate of their size. In body shape, little pigs look just like big pigs. I was walking out in the open and managed to run the group off, so Brian circled around in the mule and either drove that group or another group back toward me. I watched them mill around in the trees for a while, and then a few of them started walking around and crossing the road. I moved closer to get a better angle around the brush, and was able to target a sow. One shot broadside through the chest and she was down.

The day was too short for my liking. It was a little muddy, but not as wet as it has been in the past. I was glad to not have to wade out to the stands this year. Brian's new buggy is like a woodland limosine compared to the old ATV.

It was a real pleasure to see Ricky, Charles, Jason, Vance, and Brian again, and to spend a few minutes BS'ing about the things that interest us and putting hogs on ice.

:mrgreen:
Last edited by FWiedner on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Hey Fred,
You left out the part about getting lost on the way to Po Boy's! :D
I was there when you were talking to Steve on the phone and left just before you arrived.
I was talking on my cell phone in front of the Merit US Post Office when drove you past on H36 North.

Me and my piggie:

CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

OK.

Feel free to add my name to to the list of dummies who took a drive "out of the way" compliments of their portable GPS device.

I just couldn't figure out why the thing was directing me to go NW out of Greenville, but was happy to let it guide me to 'the short-cut'.

When I got about 20 miles out of the way and the dumb thing told me "You've Arrived," I knew I'd joined the club.

:lol: :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Here's one reason I didnt make the hog hunt:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=40435
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

86er wrote:Here's one reason I didnt make the hog hunt:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=40435

No worries Joe. Was just looking forward to hanging out again.
Looks like the kid did darned good!

Just going to have to drink that bottle of Famous Grouse by myself. :D
Should have given it to Ricky!

Anyway,
14 hrs on the road I've had it. We're in Florence, Ky. Should be an easy day tomorrow even
with the obligatory stop at the Coach store for Blondie. :D

jb

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Levergun boar hunt 2012 (new pics).

Post by 2ndovc »

After 2200 miles round trip we're home. Long but fun trip.

First one was a large sow @ 170 pounds.

Second was about 180. This one went right down and flopped for about a minute.

I got my Marlin .450 for christmas in '04. I've taken it hunting for
various animals several times since then. Finally had something get in front of it.
the 350 FPs performed perfectly and I'm more than pleased with my large bore carbine.
I finally got a scratch on my rifle! Still looking to wear the finish off of it.
The boys seemed to really like the sound it made when I shot something. I barely remember
it going off.
Just finished putting two notches on the stock. More to come! :D
jb 8)

BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Sorry to have missed out this year, but I couldn't make it happen without spreading myself too thin, and I would not have been able too relax and enjoy the trip. - Brian
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

2ndovc wrote:Just veggin' with Blondie back at the creepy little motel after another great boar hunt. :D

Was really nice to see Ricky, Fred, Charles and Vance who just stopped by to chat, again.
Vance didn't even slam my Yankee heritage this time. :D

jb 8)

I wouldn't slam your Yankee heritage :D . . .I feel too sorry for ya. :lol: You keep coming to Texas in the middle if winter and finding those 65 degree days, you'll end up being a dang Yankee for sure. We'll never get rid of you!

Did you hear any chainsaws at the hotel and was there a barbeque stand next door? :shock:

It was a short visit, but I'm glad I got to shake hands and BS with y'all again.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle