Advice needed on ammo for 357 lever rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Advice needed on ammo for 357 lever rifle

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

What kind of target ammo can I use (what kind should I use) for a 357 Magnum Winchester model 94 lever rifle (which is what I've decided to get). Can i use the Blazer aluminum cased ammo? will it cycle properly? What about hollow points, round-nose-flat-points, what about semi-W-C?

Should I be shooting the 158 grain bullets or the 125 grain bullets?

also, any good sources for inexpensive ammo?

thanks in advance for the advice.

I have decided to get a 357 Winchester model 94 lever rifle to shoot at the range. I may eventually get into reloading, for 44 and 357, but for now I need to get caught up with some stuff at work before taking on a new hobby. Maybe someday I'll get a .22 Magnum Winchester 9422, but they are kind of pricey and I need to wait on that.
"A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people"
-The Declaration of Independence
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

For just target shooting you should be able to use 38 Spl. Some lever actions will baulk at semi wadcutters. Round nose or round/flat nose usually feed the smoothest. Search around the web for deal on buying bulk ammo. Cabela's sell some in bulk, probably other places around that do too. As far as bullet weight, I can only tell you what my rifle likes. It has a preference for heavier bullets, 158/180 gr. Others report good luck with 125's though.
Last edited by TedH on Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
cecil
Levergunner

Post by cecil »

Need to be very careful about using aluminum cased rounds in levers, as the extraction power offered by a lever can tear off the rim. Unless my memory has lapsed (very possible) Marlin says not to use aluminum cased rounds in their levers.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I just bought some 30-30 from chestnutridge.com for the best price
I found online.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I believe on the box of Blazer ammo itself it states not for use in rifles though they do work fine in "Shorty" and have account for a couple wild goats.
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

Thanks, guys, for the great advice on this forum!

I have shot the Blazer aluminum cased .44 Special ammo through my Henry .44 Mag lever rifle, and have not really had any issues, and I think I remember reading over the text on the box and did not see the warning about not using it in rifles, but I will look again at the boxes I have left. In any event, I have taken the advice of someone on this forum to check out Georgia Arms, and they do seem to have the best bulk prices for ammo (.38 Special, .357 Mag, .44 Special) that I can find online, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a place that is even less expensive. I ordered 50 rounds of .357 RNFP 158 gr ammo, 50 rounds of .38 Special RNFP 125 gr ammo, and 50 rounds of .44 Special RNFP ammo. If it all cycles nicely and fires relatively cleanly (whatever that means), I will then order a few thousand rounds here and there.

Thanks!
"A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people"
-The Declaration of Independence
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Some years ago, back in the late 80's I guess, not long after getting my Win94AE .45 Colt, I shot most of a box of the aluminum cased Blazer 250gr lead ammo (discontinued), and 200gr JHP (flying ashtray-discontinued) ammo out of my Win 94.
No problems at all. All rounds went bang, and all the cases were extracted intact and ejected far far away.

About 5 or 6 years ago CCI began producing the old .22WRF round. Their first boxes were not marked with a "do not use in" warning. I bought a box and shot them from my Old Model Ruger Super Single-Six convertible. MANY years ago I found that the WRF ammo is usually more accurate in revolvers than the .22 Mag ammo is. Well, this was proven to be true with the new CCI stuff in my OM Ruger as well.
The next box of the CCI .22WRF I bought had a warning on it not to use it in revolvers.
I emailed them and they said it was because revolvers with excessive barrel cylinder gap could have bullets stick in the barrel. Ohhhh Kayyy said I. Then why don't they have "do not use" stamped on their .22 LR target ammo? If a gun has excessive barrel cylinder gap with the mag cylinder it will be the same with the LR cylinder.

Forward to 2006 I think and Speer publishes .45 Colt data for their then new 250 gr GDHP. Right in the standard load section is a warning about bullets sticking in the barrel due to excessive barrel cylinder gap.

SO, WHERE AM I GOING WITH THIS?

Speer is and has been paranoid about things that "MIGHT" happen.
I don't know anybody who has had a Blazer aluminum case separate on them.
I don't know anybody who has reported stuck bullets from CCI ammo or loading data in revolvers with large B/C gaps.

That doesn't mean it won't or hasn't happened, just means you gotta take care with this stuff.

Sorry for being so wordy.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

I am curious to find if the shipping charges wipe out any potential savings over local shops.
I have a Sportsman's Warehouse just up the road from me and sometimes they have sales, but not often.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Fired them in my 357 rifles - they all worked fine.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Ignorance is bliss and I tried two boxes (IIRC) of the aluminum cased Blazer ammo through my Rossi/EMF 92 in .45 Colt. I don't do that any more. For one thing it is cheaper to reload and I have a dyed in the wool reloader's aversion to unusable cartridge cases. For another it is the rim SHAPE that is incompatible with some extractors. The cases do grab a bit more (i.e. more friction and less of a return to original dimensions) but it is the rim shape that is the biggest problem.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

.357 rifle

Post by Hillbilly »

I shoot all you mentioned through a Marlin.

Some 357 rifles are fussy about case lenght on bullet profile.

Blazer ammo isnt much cheaper than brass. Remington .38 in RN lead is still pretty cheap

Hill
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have read and heard of almost every "a friend of a friend" had something happen when using the aluminum case ammo story that has been oft repeated. And while those stories were worrysome to a bit, the thing that's kept me from using the "Blazer" ammo is its unreloadability (is that really a word?).

I don't know about you other reloading guys, but it seems that everytime I go to the shop and buy some reloading supplies, primers and powder mostly; the prices seem to steadily climb. Then, I look at the prices for new ammo; and realize that if primers and powder have increased by two-fold, ammo has risen even more. And find myself thanking my lucky stars that I reload. And, if it doesn't actually save me money, it does provide ammo that I can be proud of, fulfil my specific needs, and provides a outlet for experimentation that, on ocassion, will exceed my expectations.

If collecting and shooting are the two biggest parts of gun ownership, reloading is the third part of the pie that provides the home hobbyist with the satisfaction of creating the ultimate in accuracy and efficiency.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I agree Griff, at one point I wndered if I was reloading to shoot or shooting to reload.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

When I got started with .357 I tried many brands, although never the CCI Blazer (just by chance, not intent). I found Magtech to be the most consistent and most accurate, and nearly the cheapest.

Here's the .357A variety, which is loaded to the same specs as Remington Green Box. Nickel plated cases, etc.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=687746

I got a case of it and now that I've used it up, am reloading the cases. I think Magtech has the best ammo, and not just for the price, either.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

magtec

Post by Hillbilly »

shot 9mm 45acp 357 and some .38 specials . That Magtec is good. I found it shot very clean... much better than the yellow box UMC you find in the big box discounters.

I shoot a little Seliors Belloit... too. cheap on sale.n

The Magtec seems cosistant too. What I have tried groups as well or better than the Winchester and UMC Remington

I wish it was made in the US
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The only times I've had Blazer problems is with .45acp in the Glock.....mabye 1 in 50 stovepipe. I've shot thousands of other Blazers amd they are reliable and work well......(The .45acp Blazer Brass have not been a problem in the Glock and the Blazer alum. in the Para Ord 1911 have so far not been a problem)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Your Win 94 should swallow everything from full wadcutters to long 180s without hiccup. The Wins are not finnicky.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

J Miller wrote: Speer is and has been paranoid about things that "MIGHT" happen.
Yep. After Omark Industries bought Speer in the '70s their whole attitude toward loading changed.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Griff wrote: the thing that's kept me from using the "Blazer" ammo is its unreloadability (is that really a word?).

It is now! :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Griff,

You can use my name when talking about aluminum Blazer ammo. Rim SHAPE is a problem with SOME extractors.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I got told once not to use the blazer ammo so I dont.
I couldn't afford to shoot factory ammo for target practice at the price they charge on this side of the big puddle.
I use a handload of 125gr tc and 6.2gr unique.
Different rifles like different things, some will do 38 special without any hiccup others wont and some baulk at SWC ammo but mine doesn't.
I guess if your going to use factory ammo your in the same boat as a .22 shooter, try some till you find one that your particular gun likes then stick with that till you find something better.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Yeah, ammo can be ugly expensive any more.

Back when it was "only" $17/bx I bought a case of Magtech 158gr SJSPs and a case of "Independence" SJSPs.

Both shoot well in my gun ans are immenently reloadable.

Federal AE is not as accurate in my gun, and costs more ta boot.

From what I've seen, your best price for OEM ammo seems to be in Magtech these days... just look around.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!