Helping a Marlin 1894 feed SWC loads?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Helping a Marlin 1894 feed SWC loads?

Post by awp101 »

I know I've seen this info before but I can't find the right combination of words in the search function to find it and I didn't see anything on the Marauder website.

I've got a fair amount of SWC .38 Special and .357 ammo and I'd like to use it in the little Marlin. I don't NEED it to as my Martini will eat them all day long, but it would be nice instead of using my HP fodder ($$$).

If anyone has the links or info saved, I would appreciate them.

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Re: Helping a Marlin 1894 feed SWC loads?

Post by adirondakjack »

It's all about timing of the carrier rise. Hold the gun level and observe as you slowly feed a round. See if it catches high or low on the chamber. Now you know whether the carrier has too much lift or not enough. The "Ramp" on the bottom of the carrier, where the lever's snail cam rides either needs a very slight build-u or relief, something on the order of a few thousanths will do it.

Oh, before you touch a thing, be sure the bottom tang screw is tight.

Google "Marauder, widdermatic" for ideas on what it's capable of. Spot on timed, slicked up, a Marlin will feed empty cases.
Certified gun nut
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Helping a Marlin 1894 feed SWC loads?

Post by awp101 »

adirondakjack wrote:It's all about timing of the carrier rise. Hold the gun level and observe as you slowly feed a round. See if it catches high or low on the chamber. Now you know whether the carrier has too much lift or not enough. The "Ramp" on the bottom of the carrier, where the lever's snail cam rides either needs a very slight build-u or relief, something on the order of a few thousanths will do it.

Oh, before you touch a thing, be sure the bottom tang screw is tight.

Google "Marauder, widdermatic" for ideas on what it's capable of. Spot on timed, slicked up, a Marlin will feed empty cases.
OK, I was thinking it was related to the mouth of the chamber more than timing. Maybe breaking the edge with a file or polishing. I did skim the timing articles looking for answers but since I didn't see what was expecting to see, I didn't really READ them.

I had the little Marlin out yesterday because I'd removed the scout scope recently and wanted to make sure it was still zeroed. My can of .38/.357 has a fair bit of SWC mixed in and they looked lonely not being used... :lol:

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at