Chippa Fire Arms ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Chippa Fire Arms ?

Post by tomtex »

You can find its site here. http://www.chiappafirearms.com have the members here use their Lever Guns or Rhino Hand Guns? They have a lot of products ,that seem to be imported, the Rhine hand guns looks like a Move hero ,type gun used to shoot zombies, but I wonder why it's not chambered for big game hunting cartridge, other than the 357m, it is suppose to reduce recoil by 30%?
Last edited by tomtex on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Chippa Fire Arms ?

Post by Pete44ru »

Chiappa was formerly the infamous Armi San Marcos, maker of mostly black powder clones - and not all that good ones, either.

Although YMMV, IMO they are struggling with metallic cartridge arms, but are sure to give their products plenty of bling (eye appeal) to draw buyers & (maybe) fix probs later.

I have zero attraction for any of their products, including clones of the Winchester 71, 1886, & 1892 leverguns.
For me, the Rhino is (besides a curiosity/magnet) the answer to a question that never needed to be asked.
\
I'm sure someone will come along that loves their product(s) - so be patient.............................. :roll:

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Others here have commented on the other Chiappa guns, good and bad, but regarding the 'Rhino' revolvers - I'd really love to see a write-up or range-report from someone who actually SHOT one, vs. just saw the advertisement and 'reacted' to it... :roll: They seem like a LOGICAL development, and yet I do admit the grips look strange. Even if they aren't good to shoot, I'd like to see what would happen if a person replaced the grips with a more 'normal' set.

Anyway, I think gun-makers really have courage to try to please current gun-owners - we disrespect anything that isn't "traditional", yet complain that there's nothing new; we gripe about high prices (which relative to inflation are still modest), yet gripe more about low levels of hand-fitting and finish.

Gun owners evidently cannot be pleased unless you produce a hand-fitted, custom-made, innovative-yet-traditional, firearm, costing less than a week's worth of ammo... :roll: :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Ask and ye shall receive... Grant Cunningham has several articles on the Rhino and how it works.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

I just saw some videos of the Rhino 2 1/2 inch barrel,shooting 357 Rem and S&W 40 with no recoil, They needed to come out with a 44 Rem mag ,and a 45/454 hand gun?
Last edited by tomtex on Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Well, I don't "love their products", I simply have one and it's worked fine for me. It's finished well too. I got it as sort of a fluke and it's been a happy turn of events. That aint a sales pitch, it's simple facts.

YMMV.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

FYI, I was reading Gary's Gun Notes for Feb. At the Reeder Custom Guns website and he says that he won't carry Chiappa firearms in his store because Chiappa puts a tracking chip in each one to "help law enforcement recover stolen guns". Yeah, like there's no possibility of governmental abuse with that.

As far as the Rhino goes, life's too short to have an ugly gun. I know "eye of the beholder" and all that; but my eye beholds it to be ugly.

Bob in Friday Harbor
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

Pete44ru wrote:Chiappa was formerly the infamous Armi San Marcos, maker of mostly black powder clones - and not all that good ones, either.

Although YMMV, IMO they are struggling with metallic cartridge arms, but are sure to give their products plenty of bling (eye appeal) to draw buyers & (maybe) fix probs later.

I have zero attraction for any of their products, including clones of the Winchester 71, 1886, & 1892 leverguns.
For me, the Rhino is (besides a curiosity/magnet) the answer to a question that never needed to be asked.
\
I'm sure someone will come along that loves their product(s) - so be patient.............................. :roll:

Chiappa was and is Armi Sport, not Armi San Marcos; they took over the 1892 levergun production from ASM a few years back. For what its worth, I have one of the Chiappa/Armi Sport '92 copies in 44-40, and it is a nicely made and accurate rifle.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

All I know is that they seem to go to great lengths at least cosmetically to be nicely finished as suggested and--in the case of the 92s for instance--to be configured very close to the original Wins. IIRC '92 master tunesmith Steve Young, aka Nate Kiowa Jones, was approached by Chiappa to give input on their 1886 during development. It'd be interesting to know whether his input "took" and whether they solicited his review (long after production had already begun) of the '92 as well, re fixing some of his early misgivings on some small internal parts we wasn't enamored with on at least early examples.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Armi San Marcos had such a bad reputation, they changed the name to Chiappa so they could sell guns.
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

Charles wrote:Armi San Marcos had such a bad reputation, they changed the name to Chiappa so they could sell guns.
This seems to be a fairly common point of confusion, but they are not the same company. Chiappa has the Armi Sport line, which has been around for decades (since 1958). They make the Spencer replicas, for instance. Armi San Marcos was also in business for quite some time, though I'm not certain if they still are.

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/company

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiappa_Firearms

I'm not making a statement either way about Chiappa/Armi Sport quality, although I'm happy enough with mine, but I think its important not to confuse the two companies. I've also seen people confuse Chiappa with Chaparral because the names are similar.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Chiappa/Armi Sport is not & never was ASM.
I have one of their Mare's Legs (Legacy Sports Bounty Hunter Model), very nicely done.
Denis
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

The main purveyors of Chiappas here would be Cimarron www.cimarron-firearms.com , Taylor's www.taylorsfirearms.com , and LSI www.legacysports.com .
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

[quote="tomtex"]You can find its site here. http://www.chiappafirearms.com have the members here use their Lever Guns or Rhino Hand Guns? They have a lot of products ,that seem to be imported, the Rhine hand guns looks like a Move hero ,type gun used to shoot zombies, but I wonder why it's not chambered for big game hunting cartridge, other than the 357m, it is suppose to reduce recoil by 30%?
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

Pete44ru wrote:Chiappa was formerly the infamous Armi San Marcos, maker of mostly black powder clones - and not all that good ones, either.

\

Was it the AK-47 that put them out of the Arms race?
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

It's my understanding that Chiappa fire arms, is the importer of the Rhino line from Italy,and not the builder? **Well, I have found out I'm wrong, In 08 Chiappa got the patens from Mateba of Italy. If Chiappa can refined ,this hand gun it has a big future? But it's not refined yet , sale or low and costs are high. Its may be the time for Chiappa to sale its paten?
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I believe Armi San Marco made the less than stellar Chaparral Arms line of 1873, and 1876 Winchester replicas.

Chiappa (Armi Sport) 1886 replica has special appeal to me.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:I believe Armi San Marco made the less than stellar Chaparral Arms line of 1873, and 1876 Winchester replicas.
I've never heard that. I have heard that they were parts sourced from Italy in the gun making region where there are many "armis" making guns, but that they were assembled in the U.S. I've looked at them and they don't have the Italian proofs all over them which is interesting.

But at any rate, Chiappa was what was asked about and I agree with you that their 1886 appeals to me.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

one of the cimarron (armi sport) 92s got a real nice writeup on gunblast from Jeff Quinn

http://www.gunblast.com/Cimarron-1892.htm
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Martini450 wrote:

\

Chiappa was and is Armi Sport, not Armi San Marcos; they took over the 1892 levergun production from ASM a few years back. For what its worth, I have one of the Chiappa/Armi Sport '92 copies in 44-40, and it is a nicely made and accurate rifle.
Yeah - I MEANT Armi Sport :oops: :oops: :oops: - but azz that I am, went from memory ILO looking it up again.
Thanks for the sanity check. :o

Of all the things I've lost - I think I miss my memory the most........... ;) :mrgreen:

Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Rumor has it that at least one IDPA shooter is running a Rhino in the stock revovler class down my way.

Saw one at a NRA basic pistol class... nice idea. Let me know if it's in time after 5,000 rounds or so and get back with me.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

I'm must say the Rhino ,because of its recoil reduction ,would be my chose in caliber's as the 44 Rem and 45/454 ,480.
Also in the 357 mag for self defense , when I'm sure its reliable hand gun?
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Chaparrals were neither Armi San Marco or Armi Sport.
Denis
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

Well, finely found Chiappa's phone number at 937-835-5000 and this new site,http://www.mkschiappa.com. I called them and talk to them, I ask them about quality control problem on the Rhino? They said they found quality in Italy ,is not the same as quality control here in the USA, and now have it under control . I ask them about the future of the Rhino line? They said the 2'' 357 Rhinos will soon ship with moon clips for the 9 mm, 38 and 357M, also a moon clip 40 cal S&W version of the 2" Rhino
Will soon ship to distributers. I ask them about chambering the Rhino for 45 ACP, 45 long and 454 as well as 44 mag? They said thats down road, because they will need to design a new frame for those calibers ,and at this time they need to fill distributers orders. Note : Chiappa is a family own business, with a good attitude and a lots of common sense.