I'm okay

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

I'm okay

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Guys, sorry I haven't been around this week. Besides the juggling of two jobs, I was involved in an automobile accident Wednesday afternoon. A semi decided it wanted to be in the place where my car was, and the semi won. I think the car is totaled.

Fortunately, I got lucky. Had my seatbelt on, and was paying attention, so when the truck turned in front of me, I was able to react quick enough to avoid a head-on collision. Unfortunately, there was not enough room for me to swerve around him before he nailed me. He admitted fault and was given a citation.

I didn't lose consciousness, but can't remember the first 15-30 minutes immediately after the impact. First thing I remember clearly was the LEO handing me back my license and registration/insurance paperworks, etc. I asked him for help collecting the other driver's info and any witnesses, and he looked at me strange, told me he already had (and the other driver's admission), and told me to get to the hospital. EMS was concerned as well and wanted to transport me by ambulance due to the memory loss and head pain (my head apparently smacked the door frame pretty solidly).

More fortunately, the customer I had just visited was a minute behind me. He pulled over, worked with the police and EMS, and took photographs of the accident. He said he would take me to the hospital. Turns out they would have transported me to a "less than desirable" medical facility, whereas he took me to one near his house. My customer stayed with me the whole time - 4 hours - as I got X-Rays and a CAT scan. No broken bones or concussion, though I feel like I was hit by a Mack truck...which, in this case, I was! Credit one thick Irish skull for again protecting what little brains I have!

My customer called my wife, let her know what was happening, then drove me north of Atlanta for 1.5 hours until we met up with my wife and brother. They took me home and I was in bed for most of Thursday and Friday. Moving around a bit today, though slowly. Still pretty sore, stiff, and my head, neck and back are in a decent amount of pain. I'm counting my blessings though, as no one was seriously injured, and it could have been a heck of a lot worse.

Now comes mountains of paperwork from the company... :(

Guys, please be careful out there. I know we have a lot of "road warriors" amoung our Levergun community. I gave a presentation just last month and kicked it off with a discussion on driving safety. Our sales people usually have 3-5X the exposure on the road each year than the average American. I know for those making a living driving, it can be 10X or more. All this exposure simply increases the odds that one will be in a traffic accident, and since we can't control all the variables - such as other drivers' actions - one must control every variable he or she can with an eye towards constant safety.

Had I been looking at my phone (I wasn't), or doing anything else that would have distracted me, I wouldn't have had enough time to maneuver like I did. It would have slammed into the truck head-on. It still scares the heck out of me to think about it.

Be safe.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I'm okay

Post by Pitchy »

Wow that`s scary, glad your ok and here to tell us about it.
Prayers out for ya Ysabel Kid
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Glad to hear you're okay, Jay. Could of been a whole lot worse. Sounds like your customer is a standup guy. Need more of those type people around. You've had some hurdles these last couple of years.

A couple of years ago I was tagged by an 82 year old man when he blew a stop sign. I barely saw him coming out the periphery of my left eye a nano second before he hit me. I was looking at the car coming up to the intersection on my right side as he was moving pretty fast. My reaction was to punch with my left hand and believe it or not I shattered the window with my fist. I lost a couple of seconds of memory. Don't even remember the airbag deploying, but it did. I was sore for a couple days, but no serious damage.
Old Law Dawg
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

YK,

I'm very glad to hear you are OK and recovering.

But you know us, we need pics of the mangled car. Bruises are good too. You know lounging around in the recliner with house slippers on and an ice pack on your head ........

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune. I hope you mend quickly and well.

Your client being there for you, helping to be sure you got the best care, is the sort of person that makes the world a better place. Truely one of the good guys!

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Jay,

Glad to hear you're ok!!

You're right about paying attention. Things happen way too quickly out there.

jason
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

:o Thankful to the Lord you are OK Jay!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Prayers of thanks on the way "up".... :D I find myself driving like I ride Harley....way away from everyone. We older models hate to admit it, but our reactions are not as quick as they were 40 years ago :( I'm seriously happy you're ok :D
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Sorry that happened and glad it wasn't any worse. Prayers UP for fast healing without complications.

Grizz
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Glad you are as well as can be expected.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thanks guys!
BlaineG wrote:Prayers of thanks on the way "up".... :D I find myself driving like I ride Harley....way away from everyone. We older models hate to admit it, but our reactions are not as quick as they were 40 years ago :( I'm seriously happy you're ok :D
Blaine, you are so right. I think that may be bugging me more than anything else. I think I may have been able to make it around him 20 years ago. Probably not, but I sure as heck wouldn't be hurting as much back then...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

A customer who takes 7 hours out of his day to help you is a good guy for certain. I'm really glad you seem to be ok for now, I haven't met you yet! :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Glad you're ok. In your honor I posted a picture with slippers on it just now. You'll have to search the forum for it (give you something to do besides wreck-paperwork).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

As you pick your way through this process, don't forget the cost of higher education for your kids..... :lol: :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

YK, Jay
you do have a concussion by definition and the symptoms of headache n memory loss.
the CT scan only shows bleeding etc which u dont have but the concussion symptoms may persist for many months

glad u r not hurt worse, and i am sure i dont have to tell u not to sign any release with any insurance company etc
cable
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Man YK that was a close one. Glad you're OK. You might have paperwork to do, but the alternative isn't an outcome we'd like to hear about. Keep an eye (so to speak) on your noggin. Anytime you wack your skull and have memory loss, it's best to have it checked a few days later just to be sure.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Glad to hear that 'yer OK. Prayers offer up for you and your family.
Had I been looking at my phone (I wasn't), or doing anything else that would have distracted me, I wouldn't have had enough time to maneuver like I did. It would have slammed into the truck head-on. It still scares the heck out of me to think about it.
It's doggone right that you weren't using the phone because they would have probably charged you with failure to pay attention or some other charge, or you'd be up S*** creek without a paddle.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Glad you're ok Jay! Hope you are back on your feet soon!
NRA Life Member
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Glad you're OK Jay. Too many people today just don't take driving serious enough. It's a joke and a car is a toy. To God be the glory that you weren't injured any worse than you were. I hope all the soreness goes away and you don't have any permanent damage.

Our company teaches us to use the Smith system of defensive driving. It does help. Learn the 5 steps and live by them.

Aim high in steering

Get the big picture

Keep your eyes moving

Leave yourself an out

Make sure others see you
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Whoa ...Glad to hear you are okay..
Prayers sent for a speedy recovery...

What kind of car were you driving?

I drive an F350 because its big and safe....
but even that would not win in a head on with an eighteen wheeler..
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Jay,

Glad to hear that you're as well as could be expected. Yes, it sounds as like a concussion. And, you're probably right about reactions 20 years later! I drive about 120-140,000 miles/year. I've developed an attitude to traffic... It's like my family is out there on the road with me... I love them all, think most of them are idiots, don't like many of their actions... and have to extra cautious because of their idiocy.

The US DOT statistics state that 90% of semi- vs passenger car accidents are caused by the passenger car. Glad you were paying attention and didn't add to the statistics. 8)

I, for one, don't need pics.
Rusty wrote:Aim high in steering

Get the big picture

Keep your eyes moving

Leave yourself an out

Make sure others see you
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hey, look on the bright side... it might have knocked your back back into alignment... :mrgreen:

Now go buy a yellow cab. Those can take a Peterbilt head on. :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

A Mack!...Yikes... What a nightmare! Glad you're here...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Glad you're OK and your warning about phones etc. is a good one.

Hope you get to 100% quickly!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Rusty wrote:Glad you're OK Jay. Too many people today just don't take driving serious enough. It's a joke and a car is a toy. To God be the glory that you weren't injured any worse than you were. I hope all the soreness goes away and you don't have any permanent damage.

Our company teaches us to use the Smith system of defensive driving. It does help. Learn the 5 steps and live by them.

Aim high in steering

Get the big picture

Keep your eyes moving

Leave yourself an out

Make sure others see you
+1 on the smith system.

i pilot one of these around all day, been hit a few times,
it doesn't matter how big your ride is, it's not fun. :?
buckettruck.jpg
glad you're ok.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Jay,

I have to go out the door and take care of some things, so I have not read all of the posts. Forgive me if this has already been said: Get checked out by a doctor. If you blacked out, there may or may not be further consequences, and you need to rule out any internal damage or whiplash effects that could hurt you later. Don't talk to the insurance company that represents the truck driver. Consider seeking a reputable lawyer to represent you for any settlement.

My wife had an injury at work and the very same "reputable" insurance company that represented me as a peace officer tried to make a cash settlement to avoid further medical costs. Thankfully, I knew enough about the industry that I knew that they would try to cut their costs. She obtained a lawyer who negotiated a deal where all future medical costs (mainly for a chiropractor) would be covered, instead. Although the chiropractor's bill is not that high, over these many years it would have amounted to many thousands of dollars due to her ongoing problems.

God bless you, my friend. I'm glad that you weren't visibly injured, or taken out. Prayers that you have no further effects.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

As big as my rig is I drive with the headlights on all the time.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Heal well. Glad ur ok. Blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Jay,
I'm so glad you survived this awful accident and are still posting, I guess it would take a much bigger truck to keep you from the forum.

Heal well and quick my friend.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

PTL that your ok :D
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

I sure am happy that you are okay after your accident. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Glad you are ok, take heed what others have said about concussion.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Wow, I'm glad that you seem to be OK friend.

Semis scare me in a big way. I know that most of the guys (and gals) who drive them are good, but when the size advantage over the cars or SUV's that most of us drive is that great, you're almost certain to come out the loser in any type of accident involving the big stuff.

Many years ago I was travelling northbound on US 1 here in Melbourne. There was a semi in the left lane, a passenger car in front of me, in the right lane. The car ahead of me was directly abreast of the semi truck. Suddenly the semi driver must have seen that his turn was upon him, and he turned the wheel hard right, absolutely crunching almost half of the passenger car, about 50 feet in front of me. Amazingly, the driver of the passenger car was alright, but only because they were not in their seat belt. When the semi came crashing in to the driver's side of the car, the driver literally moved over to the passenger side, and then climbed out the passenger side window.

It all happened very fast, as I'm sure you can relate to. Ever since I witnessed that wreck I have always tried to keep some distance between myself and the big stuff out there.

I'm glad that you came out of this with the relatively minor damage that you did, considering how bad it could have been. Hope you recover and are tip top soon. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Glad you're OK, YK! :shock: :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

Hi Sir , Great to hear you are OK ! GOD Bless !

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mutt :D
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Glad you are still here and okay!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

sure glad you're ok...wow... :)