Was this an AD, ND or something else?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Was this an AD, ND or something else?

Post by awp101 »

Hit the range for a couple of hours this afternoon with three rifles. One was a Yugo M24/47 Mauser in 8x57 I got in a trade a month or so ago. I picked up 2 boxes (20rds/box) of 1950s Yugo 8x57, forgetting it is LOUSY stuff. I don't know if it was not stored properly or what, but most rounds require a second strike to fire. Of course I forgot about this problem until I was at the range. :roll:

Out of 20 rounds in the first box, only 3 fired the first time. I even developed a pretty good rhythm with it. Chamber a round, sight, pull trigger, lift the bolt handle with the offhand just enough to reset the sear then pull trigger again. One time I got sloppy. On the second round of a three round group I just kept it pointed down range, lifted my head a bit instead of bearing down for a sight picture and pulled the trigger expecting to have to reset the sear except this round went "bang" the first time.

Now technically I was not sighting in on the target but I did hit near it. I don't think it was an AD as I was in the process of shooting. I don't know if it would qualify as negligent as I had the rifle pointed downrange at the target in case it fired the first time and was ready to fire except I was expecting the usual click and no bang with this ammo and the range was live.

So was it an AD, a ND or something altogether different?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Was this an AD, ND or something else?

Post by 20cows »

Something else all together. You didn't think it would fire, but had everything in place in case it did.

Just part of the plan and accommodation.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

awp101 wrote:On the second round of a three round group I just kept it pointed down range, lifted my head a bit instead of bearing down for a sight picture and pulled the trigger expecting to have to reset the sear except this round went "bang" the first time.
Neither. Unaimed fire. You had the gun pointed downrange and purposely pulled the trigger. An "AD", IMO is when you chamber a round and without doing anything else, the round fires. A "ND", IMO, is when you unthinkingly, or unknowingly pull the trigger.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Griff wrote:
awp101 wrote:On the second round of a three round group I just kept it pointed down range, lifted my head a bit instead of bearing down for a sight picture and pulled the trigger expecting to have to reset the sear except this round went "bang" the first time.
Neither. Unaimed fire. You had the gun pointed downrange and purposely pulled the trigger. An "AD", IMO is when you chamber a round and without doing anything else, the round fires. A "ND", IMO, is when you unthinkingly, or unknowingly pull the trigger.
I fully agree that it's neither--just like you said--lousy ammo from ther last century--nice gun though my friend has one and it's a shooter... :)
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Doesn't matter - you had it pointed in a safe place.

By the way, I've had very good luck with the 1990s production Yugo 8mm ammo. That 1950s stuff has gone bad but they keep offering it up for sale everywhere.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Griff wrote:
awp101 wrote: An "AD", IMO is when you chamber a round and without doing anything else, the round fires. A "ND", IMO, is when you unthinkingly, or unknowingly pull the trigger.
No one was harmed and and nothing was damaged, but it was not your intent for the firearm to discharge when you pulled the trigger according to a the pattern you had established.

It wasn't an accident because you fully intended to pull the trigger with a live round in the chamber, and it may have been unaimed fire but it wasn't deliberate because you weren't expecting it to go off.

I'd call it a ND, only because of your momentary lapse in attending your established cycle of operation.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Does this have any bearing on the case? How old are you? :o

ollogger
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

FWiedner wrote: I'd call it a ND, only because of your momentary lapse in attending your established cycle of operation.
That's what I was thinking and it's also what got me irritated at myself about it. I let my guard down and could have got bit. I get real picky about that kind of stuff and I wondered if I wasn't being to hard on myself over it.

ollogger, not that it has anything to do with the price of rice in China, I'm 40. :mrgreen: I guess after 30+ years of shooting I joined the ND club... :|
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Not feeling particularly judgmental tonight - just seems like it went off in the course of some testing your were doing. No apparent danger and it would seem you had no way to know which strike it would go off on and you weren't particularly target shooting. So just a round down range. Negligent would involve creating a danger. I don't see it that way but - if you want to be a stickler for the preconceived classifications be my guest.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...