Question for LEOs (Law Enforcement Officers) and ex LEOs

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Question for LEOs (Law Enforcement Officers) and ex LEOs

Post by Alan Wood »

Particularly those with California work experience. Just saw something out front of the house that strike me as peculiar. A car comes round the corner and turns around just in time for a Police car to come around the corner from the other direction and turn on it's lights (as is lights of lights and sirens not head lights). The cars stop with the Police car and first car blocking 2/3rds of the street. Saw someone out of there vehicle a very few seconds later and was getting more than a little concerned as to what was happening. About that time dogs started barking in the neighborhood. A few minutes later the first car left and a Police care is in roughly the position of the first was after they first stopped. That police car was a K9 unit ( I assume but don't know that it is the same Police car as mention above) and left almost immediately after the first car. Ok so my question is if this was just a traffic stop what was the Police car doing blocking most of the roadway? And if it wasn't why did it seem to conclude like a minor traffic stop? Oh and this might be important the street that the Police car and the first car were on before turning onto my street is the dividing line between city and county jurisdiction. My street is County jurisdiction. Just really puzzled about what just happened.
1894c

Re: Question for LEOs (Law Enforcement Officers) and ex LEOs

Post by 1894c »

could be a traffic stop--could be a vehicle and or driver that matched a particular description that the LEO's were looking for--or that were taking up a parameter position (fleeing felon from a crime scene)--hard to tell without being there, seeing the info on the computer or the communications from dispatch... :)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Some of the places I've lived, it would probably have been a drug-buy... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

1894c wrote:could be a traffic stop--could be a vehicle and or driver that matched a particular description that the LEO's were looking for--or that were taking up a parameter position (fleeing felon from a crime scene)--hard to tell without being there, seeing the info on the computer or the communications from dispatch... :)
As said, hard to say without more information. Someone from the outside looking in may not understand at all what's going on, but because the LEO's know it looks odd. Like, running code (lights and siren) for a considerable amount of time to get to an accident, assault in progress or some other type in progress call only to be called off before you get there. Now if someone you passed along the way to the call comes by after you've been called off and your parked alongside the road to let your adrenaline burn off they'd think you were just screwing around and wanting to drive fast.
Old Law Dawg
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Thank you all. I see what you mean about needing more information to tell what happened.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Alan Wood wrote:Particularly those with California work experience. Just saw something out front of the house that strike me as peculiar. A car comes round the corner and turns around just in time for a Police car to come around the corner from the other direction and turn on it's lights (as is lights of lights and sirens not head lights). The cars stop with the Police car and first car blocking 2/3rds of the street. Saw someone out of there vehicle a very few seconds later and was getting more than a little concerned as to what was happening. About that time dogs started barking in the neighborhood. A few minutes later the first car left and a Police care is in roughly the position of the first was after they first stopped. That police car was a K9 unit ( I assume but don't know that it is the same Police car as mention above) and left almost immediately after the first car. Ok so my question is if this was just a traffic stop what was the Police car doing blocking most of the roadway? And if it wasn't why did it seem to conclude like a minor traffic stop? Oh and this might be important the street that the Police car and the first car were on before turning onto my street is the dividing line between city and county jurisdiction. My street is County jurisdiction. Just really puzzled about what just happened.
Wouldn't doubt if the first car while traveling down the road from their vantage point got a view of the oncoming police car.
For some reason did an abrupt turn around.(did they do a K-turn or just a quick U-turn??????

The police noticed this suspicious activity(possibly illegal turn,if not K-turn?)and pulled them over.
Fact it was a canine unit is probably just coincidence.
Bet the police warned him about doing a U-turn and both left.
If a ticket was issued(both would have been there longer)??????????
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

madman4570 wrote:
Alan Wood wrote:Particularly those with California work experience. Just saw something out front of the house that strike me as peculiar. A car comes round the corner and turns around just in time for a Police car to come around the corner from the other direction and turn on it's lights (as is lights of lights and sirens not head lights). The cars stop with the Police car and first car blocking 2/3rds of the street. Saw someone out of there vehicle a very few seconds later and was getting more than a little concerned as to what was happening. About that time dogs started barking in the neighborhood. A few minutes later the first car left and a Police care is in roughly the position of the first was after they first stopped. That police car was a K9 unit ( I assume but don't know that it is the same Police car as mention above) and left almost immediately after the first car. Ok so my question is if this was just a traffic stop what was the Police car doing blocking most of the roadway? And if it wasn't why did it seem to conclude like a minor traffic stop? Oh and this might be important the street that the Police car and the first car were on before turning onto my street is the dividing line between city and county jurisdiction. My street is County jurisdiction. Just really puzzled about what just happened.
Wouldn't doubt if the first car while traveling down the road from their vantage point got a view of the oncoming police car.
For some reason did an abrupt turn around.(did they do a K-turn or just a quick U-turn??????

The police noticed this suspicious activity(possibly illegal turn,if not K-turn?)and pulled them over.
Fact it was a canine unit is probably just coincidence.
Bet the police warned him about doing a U-turn and both left.
If a ticket was issued(both would have been there longer)??????????
The first car turned right onto my street and turned around at the first intersection which is only 3 houses from the street they were on the police car did a left turn from the same street they were originally on hitting the lights as they got on my street. I doubt the officer saw them turn around but they might have.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

They do a lot of wierd, meaningless stuff in CA. Like 'running code'. Silly. What's that supposed to mean? They was goin fast?

Probably posing for tv camera.
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

After 25 on the job and now retired, I can tell you this about being a Peace Officer; There is NO SUCH THING AS A ROUTINE STOP! Every time you snap on the red and blues, there is no way you can predict what will happen. Every stop is different. You might get similar lines of stuff told to you, but the stop is always going to be different as you are dealing with human beings; the most UNPREDICTBLE animal on the planet.

What you observed was just one of those mements...

Wade, Third generation Peace Officer and proud of it!
Aim low boys! They're riddin' shetlands!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

2571 wrote:They do a lot of wierd, meaningless stuff in CA. Like 'running code'. Silly. What's that supposed to mean? They was goin fast?
Probably posing for tv camera.
Most departments have at least 3 levels of authorized operation of a patrol car, dependent on the perceived or actual importance of the call for service... They are usually referred to as Code 1, Code 2 & Code 3, hence, "running code". Just as in most other professions, law enforcement has it's own language, often incomprehensible to those "not in the know", think ebonics! :P :lol:

For oversimplified examples; in both departments I worked for, (CA & TX) Code 3 is imminent danger, think home break-in where the perpetrator might still be in the home or near vicinity, or robbery in progress, child in pool, etc. Code 2 is urgent, but not imminent danger, think aid another officer "not in imminent danger" or where hurried travel is warranted, but you're not allowed lights and siren. Code 1 would be regular travel, in obeyance with all traffic laws and regulations as tho' you're in your POV (privately owned vehicle). Each might even have different levels added depending on the exact circumstances and may change during the course of the officer's travel. Different departments might label those differently, but in my travels, those are pretty universal.

Some departments allow the officer to exercise his own discretion over the use of "code", (generally refers to Code 3), while others will reserve that authorization for a supervisor or command officer. Any officer running code 3 attaches a higher risk to the entity for which he works, be it city, county, state or federal agency. I.e. responsibility in the case of an accident with a innocent civilian or property damage. Ergo, the decision to limit who can authorize "running code".

"Running code" is very different than a routine traffic stop. In both departments I worked at, the officer will usually attempt to signal a motorist to stop with the smallest "light and sound show" necessary. You'll often see CHP officers who will initially only turn on one forward facing solid red light, (if you're behind them, you might see flashing yellow lights (depending on the set up they have); they might then initiate a flashing red light, then flashing red and blue, then add either a "whoop-whoop" and finally a full siren of whatever type their car is equipped with. (The above maybe limited based on the exact equipment they have installed).

Yes, running code is an adrenalin rush... but it has it's own dangers and pitfalls. Both to the officer and the general motoring public. But, that doesn't mean that every time you see a police car running code it's on its way to the donut shop. Saying so is both demeaning to the individual officer and to the profession. Whether you respect the officer or not, remember, the vast majority signed up to protect YOU and your property! Many times at the cost of their life or career.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

[quote="Griff"][quote="2571"]
For oversimplified examples; in both departments I worked for, (CA & TX) Code 3 is imminent danger, think home break-in where the perpetrator might still be in the home or near vicinity, or robbery in progress, child in pool, etc. Code 2 is urgent, but not imminent danger, think aid another officer "not in imminent danger" or where hurried travel is warranted, but you're not allowed lights and siren. Code 1 would be regular travel, in obeyance with all traffic laws and regulations as tho' you're in your POV (privately owned vehicle). Each might even have different levels added depending on the exact circumstances and may change during the course of the officer's travel. Different departments might label those differently, but in my travels, those are pretty universal.

Some departments allow the officer to exercise his own discretion over the use of "code", (generally refers to Code 3), while others will reserve that authorization for a supervisor or command officer. Any officer running code 3 attaches a higher risk to the entity for which he works, be it city, county, state or federal agency. I.e. responsibility in the case of an accident with a innocent civilian or property damage. Ergo, the decision to limit who can authorize "running code".

quote]

Griff, you must have retired a while back. Most, if not all, California agencies, got rid of "Code 2". Its all or nothing. If you're blowing lights and stop signs, you better have lights and siren going. Otherwise you're liable for any damage or injuries. Not to say cops still don't rush to aid a fellow cop or a citizen when the circs don't quite justify a code 3 response but it's on them. Most policies have been changed in recent years due to law suits. Some don't even allow pursuits unless it's a known felony. It's a whole different ballgame. Even a stolen car is not worth chasing anymore. If you catch the guy, he is usaully fed kicked the following day. :evil: (still fun though :) )
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jkbrea wrote:Griff, you must have retired a while back. Most, if not all, California agencies, got rid of "Code 2". Its all or nothing. If you're blowing lights and stop signs, you better have lights and siren going. Otherwise you're liable for any damage or injuries. Not to say cops still don't rush to aid a fellow cop or a citizen when the circs don't quite justify a code 3 response but it's on them. Most policies have been changed in recent years due to law suits. Some don't even allow pursuits unless it's a known felony. It's a whole different ballgame. Even a stolen car is not worth chasing anymore. If you catch the guy, he is usaully fed kicked the following day. :evil: (still fun though :) )
1990. Then in 2004 in TX. And while my last years here in TX were mostly mounted, we were changing those policies also. IMO, not for the better... but, what would I know, I'm an old dude! But, like I tell my son, I got that way for a reason; it wasn't just blind luck!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Griff wrote:
jkbrea wrote:Griff, you must have retired a while back. Most, if not all, California agencies, got rid of "Code 2". Its all or nothing. If you're blowing lights and stop signs, you better have lights and siren going. Otherwise you're liable for any damage or injuries. Not to say cops still don't rush to aid a fellow cop or a citizen when the circs don't quite justify a code 3 response but it's on them. Most policies have been changed in recent years due to law suits. Some don't even allow pursuits unless it's a known felony. It's a whole different ballgame. Even a stolen car is not worth chasing anymore. If you catch the guy, he is usaully fed kicked the following day. :evil: (still fun though :) )
1990. Then in 2004 in TX. And while my last years here in TX were mostly mounted, we were changing those policies also. IMO, not for the better... but, what would I know, I'm an old dude! But, like I tell my son, I got that way for a reason; it wasn't just blind luck!
GRIFF...Code-4 ... deeply appreciate your service... :)
Fairshake
Levergunner

Post by Fairshake »

I retired in 1990 myself but it does not matter if your running code 3 or not, you are always responsible for any damage you may do. The lights and siren of code 3 only give you the right to go through red lights and stop signs after be assured you may do so in a safe manner.
The biggest problem I had with running code three was when you had ran it for 5 miles and had several cars pull to the side to allow you passage, then you receive a code 4. I would always pull down a side road before killing the lights and siren.
For those who don't know, police units run the code that they are advised to run by dispatch. It's not up to you to decide how to handle the call.
I was on patrol one night about 2200 hour and dispatch called for any unit in the area of a certain road. No One would answer as it had been a busy night and they were busy catching up on the paper work that is not shown on TV. I finally decided to answer as I knew the lazy guys on the shift were not going to. The dispatcher advised me that they had a naked woman swimming in the pool of a certain apartment complex. You should of heard all the units including detective units which don't answer this type of call come to my aid.
We ended up with about 8 units at the scene and yes I did find the very nice young lady and had her cover up with a towel and go to her apartment as it was pass swimming hours.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Fairshake wrote:I retired in 1990 myself but it does not matter if your running code 3 or not, you are always responsible for any damage you may do. The lights and siren of code 3 only give you the right to go through red lights and stop signs after be assured you may do so in a safe manner.
The biggest problem I had with running code three was when you had ran it for 5 miles and had several cars pull to the side to allow you passage, then you receive a code 4. I would always pull down a side road before killing the lights and siren.
For those who don't know, police units run the code that they are advised to run by dispatch. It's not up to you to decide how to handle the call.
I was on patrol one night about 2200 hour and dispatch called for any unit in the area of a certain road. No One would answer as it had been a busy night and they were busy catching up on the paper work that is not shown on TV. I finally decided to answer as I knew the lazy guys on the shift were not going to. The dispatcher advised me that they had a naked woman swimming in the pool of a certain apartment complex. You should of heard all the units including detective units which don't answer this type of call come to my aid.
We ended up with about 8 units at the scene and yes I did find the very nice young lady and had her cover up with a towel and go to her apartment as it was pass swimming hours.
That's a way better call then the one i was on...we had a rather large 50-something male (350 lbs+) wearning
nothing but his socks @ 2am, in the middle of February, dancing in the middle of a city street--we didn't have
a towel...wasn't pretty...took two of us to put him into the partol car...then we had another one a year latter,
almost the same time of year...must be me... :(

Fairshake--thank you for your service...Code-4