Browning 1895

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Browning 1895

Post by marlin shooter »

This rifle followed me home after looking and handling it 2 different time's in a 3 week span. It's a Browning 1895 in 30-06 gov't. William's FP, and sling mount's. Rifle is about 95%. 675.00 dollar's. I shot the rifle 10 time's and it show's great promise. There was a time that I thought these rifle's were hideous (didn't like the magazine). Now after handling and shooting it I find it balances nice and carrie's fine. I like it! I do wish it was 30-40 krag though. Oh well I reload and it is easy to duplicate the Krag and get more out of the 06. Picture could be better but have poor lighting and too cold outside
Karl
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

That's a nice rifle. The .30-06 will do you just fine.

I wish you'd a turned that dad-burned box the rifle's on right side up. Had a hell of a time standing on my head in my chair trying to read it and type this reply.
ED
Yer never too old
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

Very nice.

A Winchester Collector
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

The -06 will grow on you. Brass is cheaper and easier to find. I have a 30-40 and the only real advantage that I see is that the 30-40 case is a little more user friendly to cast bullets, as the neck will contain pretty much all the lube grooves. Beyond that, they are both great cartridges in a great rifle.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I got stuck on the repros-- bought a carbine in 30-06 and 30-40 and a take down in 30-06.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I really like mine which is a .30-40. SLICK! Slicker than any other lever I own. Reminds me, I need to get the Climbin' Lyman repro installed. Too many other things going on. :(
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

Hobie,

If you are too busy to install that Lyman, just send it my way and I'll put some wear on it for you.

Marlin Shooter. You will enjoy that rifle. I have a Browning in 30-40 and 30-06 and was just thinking today about getting them out for some exercise.
regards

3T
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

If you reload don't use the 180 grain Remington round nose. My gun doesn't have a very long throat . The 180 's would shoot awsome , but that was because they were contacting the rifling. I found this out by unchambering a loaded round and it wouldn't come out . I had to tap it out with a cleaning rod. So stick with spitzers.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

The "no throat" condition seems to be a hallmark of the Mirokus. It doesn't matter what cartridge or what model rifle, the no throat (compared to the same model Winchester) is pretty universal.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I was in the same boat - the 1895 was one of the last lever's I wanted. That is, until I saw the one I purchased from mod71alaska. Man, it is beautiful!!!
:D
Congrats! 8)
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Hobie wrote:I really like mine which is a .30-40. SLICK! Slicker than any other lever I own. Reminds me, I need to get the Climbin' Lyman repro installed. Too many other things going on. :(
Hobie, you really do need to get that done! Been awhile, as I recall. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Grizzly Adams wrote:
Hobie wrote:I really like mine which is a .30-40. SLICK! Slicker than any other lever I own. Reminds me, I need to get the Climbin' Lyman repro installed. Too many other things going on. :(
Hobie, you really do need to get that done! Been awhile, as I recall. :)
TWO years now! :oops: :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

You got a screaming good deal on that rifle.......around here in mid michigan that would be closer to a grand or better!

Wm
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Great find. For actual field use, as opposed to a safe queen, you might want to add a barrel band swivel so you can use a sling. Since I reworked the sights, sling and buttplate on mine almost 9 years ago, it became my #1 game rifle. Don't think of it as a brush gun either. Mine will group under 2.5 inches at 200 yards.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

These are gorgeous rifles. I picked up a Browning 1895 in 30-40 Krag about 2 years ago nearly-NIB from an estate sale. Stuck a barrel band swivel on her and I'm now looking for a better rear sight to replace the buckhorn. Mine loves the 180gr Sierra spitzer over a charge of IMR4350. Don't remember the amount though, but she's going hunting this season for the 1st time.

Yes... I said..."she". Don't tell my wife...
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I had one when they first came out in the middle 1980's. I shot cast bullets in mine. A 170 gr. gas checked with 20-22 grains of SR4759 and Federal match primers is a very accurate load.

Mine shot 180 gr. jacketed the best.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i need to find a deal like that. it,s the next purchase in my sites. well done!
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

The rifle has a barrel band mount on it. It won't be a safe queen. Hobie or anyone, are your rifle's D+T'ed for the Lyman or Williams receiver sight's? My rifle has one installed and just wondered if factory or done by previous owner. Thank's for all the compliment's everyone.
Karl
joepb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by joepb »

Where do you find the barrel band swivel for the 1895 ? I looked in Midway but did not find them..........Joe
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

marlin shooter wrote:The rifle has a barrel band mount on it. It won't be a safe queen. Hobie or anyone, are your rifle's D+T'ed for the Lyman or Williams receiver sight's? My rifle has one installed and just wondered if factory or done by previous owner. Thank's for all the compliment's everyone.
Karl
No, they were not D&Ted by the factory for the Lyman or Williams.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

marlin shooter wrote:The rifle has a barrel band mount on it. It won't be a safe queen. Hobie or anyone, are your rifle's D+T'ed for the Lyman or Williams receiver sight's? My rifle has one installed and just wondered if factory or done by previous owner. Thank's for all the compliment's everyone.
Karl
They don't come from the factory D&Ted. Aftermarket... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

The 2006 anniversary Win 95 SRC DOES come drilled and tapped for peeps. I understand only the Lymann 66 will work, not the Williams FP series. Of course, the "Climing" Lymann Model 38 still needs to be custom drilled and tapped.

Not that I have a strong preference for the Williams over the Lymann, but it seems odd to me. The Lymann 66 will serve fine, though.

Hope you enjoy yours. It looks like a great set-up. At the range I belong to, I have found many hundreds of 30-06 empties over the years. I have found 18 30-40 Krag empties. The Krag cartridge does look cool, and may be THE classic cartridge for the rifle. But the 30-06 is really more practical, even if you don't have any urge to go beyound 1920's load levels.

Sean
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Junkbug, It's the Williams fool proof that works. The lyman 66WB won't get low enough with out the windage adjustment screwhead hitting the receiver. The fool proof is wider and clears the receiver on the non mounting side. If the adjustment screw head wasn't so big on the Lyman it would work. Trust me I've tried it.
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

joepb, both Williams Gunsight Co. and Uncle Mike's produce various barrel band arrangements.