Monte Walsh

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
aussie
Levergunner 2.0

Monte Walsh

Post by aussie »

I watched "Monte Walsh" tonight. First time I've seen it. What a great movie. What calibre was the lever Monte was shooting...looked pretty decent, maybe 45/70?
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Great movie indeed. The earlier one with Lee Marvin is good to. I thought he used an 1876 Win. for that but I'm only on my first cup of Coffee :shock:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

IIRC Selleck's Monte uses a .50-110 1886 Winchester. IIRC it was Selleck's privately owned weapon.

That is a classic movie.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Yep....great movie....
One of the best parts is the beginning....
I think I'll watch that tonight....
gunslinger598
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gunslinger598 »

I watch it approx every 6 to 8 weeks.

there are several I have been doin that way up until recently when I signed up for net flix.
AQHA Life Member
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The best line in any movie I've seen in a long time comes from Monte Walsh: "I don't think you understand how little I care."

I'd like to see the one with Lee Marvin again as a point of reference.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Rusty wrote:The best line in any movie I've seen in a long time comes from Monte Walsh: "I don't think you understand how little I care."

I'd like to see the one with Lee Marvin again as a point of reference.

Rusty <><
I like the Lee Marvin one the best. Selleck does an excellent job, but I think the bucking scene through the town is better in Marvin's.

Also, it was the first one I saw years ago and loved it then, so I am a bit prejudiced. :D
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

++JimT
"That'll Be The Day"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

We have the Tom Selleck version on DVD and like it a lot, but I have to admit I've never seen the Lee Marvin version. I'll see if I can't hunt up a copy. It would be interesting to compare.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Well I guess that's two more DVDs to add to my wanted list! :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

J Miller wrote:We have the Tom Selleck version on DVD and like it a lot, but I have to admit I've never seen the Lee Marvin version. I'll see if I can't hunt up a copy. It would be interesting to compare.

Joe

If you find it at a decent price, let know. I want one. I have only be able to located "collectors" versions ... WAY TOO PRICEY!! So please let me know if you would.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Ditto here for the Lee Marvin version. I remember seeing it in the movie house when I was a youngster. The best part I remembered about the Lee Marvin version was when they were all headed for the out house after they gave the cook a bath.

Lee Marvin was a true hero as a U.S. Marine IIRC.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

JimT wrote:
J Miller wrote:We have the Tom Selleck version on DVD and like it a lot, but I have to admit I've never seen the Lee Marvin version. I'll see if I can't hunt up a copy. It would be interesting to compare.

Joe

If you find it at a decent price, let know. I want one. I have only be able to located "collectors" versions ... WAY TOO PRICEY!! So please let me know if you would.
Jim, will do.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Hobie wrote:IIRC Selleck's Monte uses a .50-110 1886 Winchester. IIRC it was Selleck's privately owned weapon.

That is a classic movie.
Yep. I believe Kenny Howell of R&D Gunworks actually built two of them for Selleck's film. Kenny is best known for his conversion revolvers, and has built a number of arms for Selleck's films.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
ornery
Levergunner

Post by ornery »

If ya really want to enjoy the story of Monte Walsh, read the book. The history behind it is fabulous. The book takes you from Monte at 16 to his passing. I highly recommend it.

Montes' notorious lines from the original book......."Shucks. It's a horse, ain't it?'.....and "Mister, you cain't imagine how little I care."......and one more..."Hope I see you again...never."

Read the book. :D
Soy vaquero, nada mas.
joachim slim
Levergunner 2.0

Monte Walsh

Post by joachim slim »

if someone is able to record VHS to DVD i can send them the VHS of Monte Walsh with Lee Marvin. they can make a copy for them on DVD and for me. if they wanted they could make several copys and sell them for a fair price to people here.
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

Great movie ! (Both versions, although it's been years since I've seen the Lee Marvin version.)

Are you sure Selleck's gun is a 50-110 and not a 50-90 or 50-95 ? A few years back there was a magazine article on a either a pig or deer hunt a gunwriter went on with Tom Selleck and Brad Johnson...and Selleck used the 86 Winchester from Monte Walsh. I could have sworn the gun was a 50-90, but my memory has been known to be...umm, 'misinformed' before!

Lee Marvin was, in my opinion, one of the great unsung 'real' actors of the 60's and 70's. If you ever get a chance to see John Boorman's documentary on his good friend, give it a viewing.

Boorman's tale of how, during the pre-production of 'Hell in the Pacific' is amazing. Lee Marvin and Boorman were scouting filming locations on a pacific island and suddenly Lee marvin stopped by a large rock and got very quiet.

Boorman came over and asked what was the matter.

Lee Marvin paused, then pointed down to a stained section of coral. "This is where I was shot by the Japanese back in 1945," he told his stunned friend, then walked away.

Truly a man who had 'been there, done that'.
Dirty Dan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Dirty Dan »

Sorry boys- Selleck is a way better cowboy than Marvin.
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. - John Steinbeck
blueroan
Levergunner 1.0

50 CALIBER LEVER GUNS

Post by blueroan »

Get a copy of Mike Venturino's SHOOTING LEVER GUNS OF THE OLD WEST for a referrence...You'll enjoy it and learn a lot. LEGACY OF LEVER ACTIONS by Wolfe Publishing is definitely worth the $7 p;lus shipping it's advertised for currently.

A 50/90 is the current name for a SHARPS 50 X 2.5 inch straight case. I have one of these big boomers and love it.

A 50/95 is a chambering of the 1876 WINCHESTER. The reproductions are supposed to be available in this caliber.

The 50/110 is an 1886 WINCHESTER chambering and the casing is the basis for the 348 Winchester; which gets blown out or necked up to the various ALASKAN series cartridges in either a model 1886 or model 71. The WINCHESTERS further confused things by using the same brass with different bullet weights and rifling twist rates....and different names! Refer to Mike Venturino's book. Brass is available from STARLINE.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
When they said SHARPS, I always thought BIG 50!
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I liked it, what I seen. I didn't finish it. Listening to you guys, I will have to get it and watch it all.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog