Fixed blade EDC knife

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Fixed blade EDC knife

Post by Irelander »

I've been looking into getting a fixed blade EDC (every day carry) knife not to replace my folder but to compliment it. Folder for utility and fixed for protection since it is faster to deploy than a folder. Anyway, I plan to get an ESEE Izula II pretty soon.

Since I'm bored, I thought I'd ask you all what fixed blade knives you carry on a daily basis.
The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Fixed blade EDC knife

Post by Ravenman »

Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

Ravenman wrote:Good decision - nice blades!
I can highly recommend: http://www.knivesshipfree.com/index.php?cPath=27_641
or http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/ratknives/
I've ordered from Knife Center before and they had much better service than the Blade Shop. Can't beat the price at knivesshipfree.com! Thanks.

Glock Certified Armorer
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

This is my EDC.Cold Steel Voyager, 4"...very light, very sharp, very fast to open. If I feel "hinky" my hand is on it in my right pocket and it would be open by the time it was waist level. :wink: Not that your choice isn't super...I just like folders. On a not so humrous note: I could be arrested for having this knife in Seattle, but I could legally open carry my 1911.....go figger :roll: :roll:

The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

That looks like a good choise. I've tried fixed blades from time to time. They're tough to carry (for me) unless it's one like you pictured.

I do like that Cold Steel and have and carry them too.

Blaine, unless the laws have changed drastically, while you could technically open carry in Washington state it was rather actively "discouraged" in most all of it's cities. Meaning no way, you'd get arrested. Usually on disturbing the peace. I don't know how long you've lived there and just wanted to make sure you knew. The first CWP I got in Washington in 1974 was indeed a Weapons permit and covered knives, too. Sometime or other they changed it to a CPP and it covered pistols only. Don't know when it changed. The dogs.

Cat
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I keep a shrade pro hunter in my pocket when I'm working with the horses. I have to go through lots of stalls and gates with the lead ropes and it feels comforting to have it. It wears a leather thong and sticks out of my pocket enough to grab it. For self defense, I try to never bring a knife to a gunfight though! :wink: Still comforting to have.

I bought a Puma Bowie recently and really love the knife. It's big enough to do some damage if you out of ammo or have lost you're gun in a tussle, yet not awkward or cumbersome to carry.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

C. Cash wrote:For self defense, I try to never bring a knife to a gunfight though! :wink: Still comforting to have.
If there's a gunfight, I'll have two guns and two knives (once I get that Izula) ready for action.

Glock Certified Armorer
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Every day carry is a Benchmade folder, with spring assist opening. I also carry a small leatherman tool, (use to carry a wave but gave it away on a recent missions trip). I also carry two small pistols, a NAA ranger mini revolver in .22mag, and Kimber solo CDP in 9mm, with two spare mags. In my backpack I have a sweedish laminated blade fixy with neck landyard.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I dont carry a fixed blade....unless hunting
usually its a swiss army knife....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Catshooter wrote:That looks like a good choise. I've tried fixed blades from time to time. They're tough to carry (for me) unless it's one like you pictured.

I do like that Cold Steel and have and carry them too.

Blaine, unless the laws have changed drastically, while you could technically open carry in Washington state it was rather actively "discouraged" in most all of it's cities. Meaning no way, you'd get arrested. Usually on disturbing the peace. I don't know how long you've lived there and just wanted to make sure you knew. The first CWP I got in Washington in 1974 was indeed a Weapons permit and covered knives, too. Sometime or other they changed it to a CPP and it covered pistols only. Don't know when it changed. The dogs.

Cat
Nope...no longer....it's acceptable after several individuals that I know took the bull by the horns, got detained, and a local lawyer/judge pushed the matter. This resulted in new training guidelines. Also, the RCW now states that being in posession of a holstered, open carried gun does NOT meet the criteria of a disturbance, or warrent detainment. You might certainly be asked a question, but expect no real problems. The last person that police "took down" because of a holstered open carry got a nice check for it from the City of Seattle. On the other hand, a fixed blade or a 4" folder will get you arrested. Been here since '85 :wink: You may confirm this at http://www.opencarry.org :idea: The tide is turning.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I dont like wearing a fixed blade knife as Iam on a horse more often than not I carry a pocket knife and a belt folder & in my day pack I carry my fixed blade knives one or the other of Mora knives from Sweden. Been using Bear & Son pocket knife for some time. danny
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

i carry anza knives for all my fixed blades. bigsky i ride everyday an carry fixed blades with no trouble, but the blades are only 3 1/2 inch with overall of 6 inches even when not working and we are just out a roping or sorting have no problems with them.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Ontario RAT 3 ... or my Camillus locback (bought 5 right after they went out of business)... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

336bl wrote:Ontario RAT 3 ... or my Camillus locback (bought 5 right after they went out of business)... :)
I thought about the RAT-3 but decided on the smaller Izula II.

Glock Certified Armorer
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I use the Ka-Bar TDI to supplement my folder. The sheath fits belt, ankle and chest rigs. Quick to draw and deploy, even off-hand.

"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

This is my EDC folder, a Benchmade mini-Griptilian. I love the large hole in the blade for opening and the AXIS lock is superb.

Hope to get the Izula II for fixed blade EDC.

If I could have any fixed blade, it would be this:

Benchmade Marc Lee Glory Knife.

Glock Certified Armorer
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I've tried carrying a fixed blade knife for EDC and it sucks. Not any faster to use, usually in a less handy position and a pain to put away. Yes I prefer to use fixed blade knives but not to the point of dealing with their negatives. My EDC knife bounces back and forth between a Kershaw 1550ST and a Klein folder I bought at the supply house. And yes I only carry one.

LK
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Well that's great to hear Blaine. I bet all the screaming liberals are, well, screming. My sister is one of them. :)

Cat
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Catshooter wrote:Well that's great to hear Blaine. I bet all the screaming liberals are, well, screming. My sister is one of them. :)

Cat
You have no idea....The liberal LEOs are the worst....My soon to be erstwhile SIL (the bastage) promised to take me down if he "caught" me open carrying.....I encouraged him to do, and be violent about it...I needed another income stream to retire on.... :evil:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

BlaineG wrote:
Catshooter wrote:Well that's great to hear Blaine. I bet all the screaming liberals are, well, screming. My sister is one of them. :)

Cat
You have no idea....The liberal LEOs are the worst....
Oh yes I do. There's a reason I don't live in that state anymore. It's a beautiful state but the liberal virus is rampant.

Cat
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

Well, I finally got my ESEE Izula II and I couldn't be happier with it. Here's a pic with my EDC pistol, Kahr P380. Definitely my new EDC knife. I have it on right now...conceals amazingly well. I just need to fashion a nice clip onto the sheath so that I can wear it IWB and tuck my shirt around it for such occasions.

I decided to get the Desert Tan version of the knife, don't know why. I got it from The Knife Connection for $67.95 with FREE shipping. Best price I could find.

It is almost exactly the size of my Benchmade Griptillian when its locked open. To me, its the perfect size for an EDC knife, and very fast to present.

Glock Certified Armorer
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Irelander wrote:Well, I finally got my ESEE Izula II and I couldn't be happier with it. Here's a pic with my EDC pistol, Kahr P380. Definitely my new EDC knife. I have it on right now...conceals amazingly well. I just need to fashion a nice clip onto the sheath so that I can wear it IWB and tuck my shirt around it for such occasions.

I decided to get the Desert Tan version of the knife, don't know why. I got it from The Knife Connection for $67.95 with FREE shipping. Best price I could find.

It is almost exactly the size of my Benchmade Griptillian when its locked open. To me, its the perfect size for an EDC knife, and very fast to present.
Two good companions.... 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I have the small Buck knife and I think it's just a little too small. It's a sized down copy of the regular and the handle is a little too small.

However, for EDC I will have to get a non-locking folder if I want to ever use it in public. You can't carry a fixed blade concealed in CA, and in this county, can't wear one on the waist, either. And a lockback folding knife becomes a prohibited weapon when it is open. So if you want to sit in the park and slice an apple, it had better be a non-locking folder.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

El Chivo wrote:...and in this county, can't wear one on the waist...
El Chivo,

Can you please elaborate on this?

Glock Certified Armorer
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It's stupid: In Seattle I can open carry a sidearm, but carrying a 4" or better folder, or fixed blade will get you arrested (or shot and killed by the cops, as one drunk NA wood carver found out :evil: )

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Knife that I consider my stealth/bad a## knife have had for 40 years----(I love) except want a nicer sheath.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SOLINGE ... 230c20e45c

That knife is something!
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

So...is it illegal to wear my Izula-II concealed on my waist here in PA?

Guess I need to do some research.

Glock Certified Armorer
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Irelander wrote:
El Chivo wrote:...and in this county, can't wear one on the waist...
El Chivo,

Can you please elaborate on this?
sure, L.A. County plugged the loophole in state law that let you wear an unconcealed knife (fixed blade) on your belt. So basically you can't have any fixed blade on your person in LA County, concealed or unconcealed.

Exceptions are made for "lawful recreation" and I believe it doesn't affect knives under 3".

OK I found the code:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

13.62.010 Knives and daggers defined.
As used in this chapter, the terms “knives and daggers” shall include any knife having a blade of three inches or more in length; any spring-blade, switch-blade or snap-blade knife; any knife any blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device; any ice pick or similar sharp stabbing tool; any straight-edge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle. (Ord. 11915 § 1, 1979.)

13.62.020 Carrying knives and daggers in plain view prohibited.
It is unlawful for any person to carry on his person, in plain view, any knife or dagger. (Ord. 11915 § 2, 1979.)

13.62.030 Exemptions to chapter applicability.
The foregoing restrictions shall not be deemed to prohibit the carrying of ordinary tools or equipment for use in a lawful occupation or for the purpose of lawful recreation, or where the carrying of a knife or dagger is a recognized religious practice. (Ord. 11915 § 3, 1979.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may already be familiar with the state law, which says you may carry in plain view. Well, this plugs that up. But hunting or fishing you are fine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know, in reading the first part again, where it defines what a knife is, it doesn't seem to exclude folding knives the way state law does. It just says "knife over 3", yet it even includes razor blades. So, unlike state law, it seems to pertain to folders (locking and non-locking) as well as fixed blades.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Irelander wrote:So...is it illegal to wear my Izula-II concealed on my waist here in PA?

I doubt it, you're pretty far from LA County, but it would be a good idea for you to do the research just to be sure.

Also you may find you are ok locally, but if you go down to Philadelphia you get arrested.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

thanks for the photos - beautiful knife.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Irelander wrote:So...is it illegal to wear my Izula-II concealed on my waist here in PA?

Looks like local municipalities decide and the fixed blade knife needs to fall under (common use)provision.

And once you go into another municipality (who knows what their provisions are)?????

Wonder how a super light/super sharp/easy carrying/useful tool (common use?)--------------fits like the Fiskar X5 ????????????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC-6XmIo_Ic
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't carry a fixed blade, but the folder with the thumb stud opens pretty fast. I use it to cut open boxes occasionally so that I can say that is what I carry it for. I also carry a Leatherman tool to fix staplers with. As a Pharmacist, I probably go through more staples in a day than most folks do in a year. The staplers sometimes jam, and a Leatherman pulls the jammed staples and has the stapler back in use in about 25 seconds. (I timed it once from being handed the stapler to handing it back to the Tech.) I carry a folder that has a 3.5 inch blade and one of the locks where the frame has a piece which springs in to stop the blade from closing. I prefer a good lockback, but this one is pretty slim and is inexpensive so that I am not worried about ruining it on cardboard. When I do carry a fixed blade, it is usually a Mora as they are cheap, sharp, easy to re-sharpen, and hold a good edge. I have some expensive blades, but they are not really any better than the Mora blades.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've heard "Mora" so much that I'm going to have to buy one to see what the excitement is all about 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV