Weaknesses in the Winchester 86, 92 and 94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Weaknesses in the Winchester 86, 92 and 94

Post by getitdone1 »

Are there any inherent weaknesses in the Winchester model 86, 92 or 94?

I've never heard of any. I've had all good experience with all three models but I haven't done nearly the amount of shooting with them that some of you have.

Another approach is: Can any genuinely good improvements be made to them?

Seems to me, for what they are, they are perfect.

Don McCullough
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

The only weakness I know of is that Winchester isnt making them anymore.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Mebbe in the 86, if there were any, they got fixed w/the 71?
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

The weakness lies with the inability to just own one. :D

Seriously, the only weakness I know about is the 94's are said to have a weak tang. I have seen many of them broken but in every case, it has been due to a horse accident.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The nut on the stock is the weak part.

:lol:
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Mebbe in the 86, if there were any, they got fixed w/the 71?
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/model71_info.htm
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

They are good for what they are good for.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Thanks Tycer...I dunno how missed that article..
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

IMO it's tough to compare the 94 with the 86 & 92... they are totally different animals.

I MUCH prefer the 86/92 action over the gut-schucking 94.

(I wish I could get an 86 (71?) in Stainless...)

But then, I like pistol calibers & .45/70 but the .30-30 not as much. :wink:
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

JimT wrote:The nut on the stock is the weak part.

Funny, ALL my firearms have that problem... :?

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jim, you never fail to amuse me with your wisdom--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

The main weakness in design in all three models is the fact that the locking lugs are at the back of the receiver. Very high pressure loads could cause the receiver to stretch. In all modern guns the locking lugs are at the front of the bolt which is the better design and the quality of the later steel used is also better. The cartridges developed for the three models took this into account and are safe to use as pressure is kept to a level that does not stress the bolt, receiver and locking lug design. The earlier M.86 and 92 also used steel in the earlier years that wasn't as strong as later guns, both in the receivers and barrels. The M.94 was designed for smokless loads from the beginning and even the earliest M.94's had better steel than the other two models at that time. But, over the years all models had improved steel, including attempts to use stainless steel barrels. This was very hard on tooling and a satisfactory bluing method was never perfected and Winchester discontinued the use of S.S. for this reason. Reloaders should never "hot rod" these various calibers and always stay to a safe pressure in all calibers and models. And as a precaution ALL old Winchesters should always be checked by a competent gunsmith before firing. The M.71 was an improved M.86 with modern 20th century steels but the 348 cartridge used is very tapered for easy extraction and the downside to this taper is a greater back thrust on the bolt face.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

The 1886 has this weakness--caused by a dummy who loaded and shot 1800+ warm rounds out of his BP 1886 over a period of 25 years or so. Finally gave out.

I really don't think any Winchester levergun from the 1886 on has any weakness's. I have shot tens of thousands of loads out of the old guns and they keep on running. (except one of 'em :cry: )

For the loads and the uses for what they were intended for, they cannot be improved. I cannot think of any part that is inherently weak.--------Sixgun

Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Hey! I resemble that remark... :lol:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

The weakness is mine - I can't resist them!!! :wink:
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

I MUCH prefer the 86/92 action over the gut-schucking 94.
Hey, no kidding. I just laughed the first time I cycled a 94. :)

Agree with Gun Smith. Rear locking lugs are for the birds, but hey, you just use them within their design parameters.

Which brings up a question. I think I've seen it in a loading manual or two that one or two max loadings in cases is enough; then the cases have to be retired. This due to the stretching induced by having rear locking lugs. Is that so? Is that all you get out of your cases? Or do you wait until you see an incipient case failure?
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I for one don't mind the 94 action design, I think it's very well concieved and built. It allows a long action that's rather thin, and very easy to carry.

I have 30-30 brass that I've been loading for years and had no trouble with. Other than a few rounds that I use for light loads, the vast majority have been full power loads.

"Another approach is: Can any genuinely good improvements be made to them?"

The sights can generally be improved, and newer guns with short forends can be replaced with long wood forends. Decent slings can be installed. The ones that had the ring thing on the side can be easily improved, and a nice filler screw installed in the hole. Would've been better to have never had a hole for a ring thing, but they didnt figure that out for a long time, a good 30 or 40 years after the military gave up on carbine slings. That is at least one advantage of the newer guns over the earlier carbines. :D

I would like to see some newer 94's that are made for the 307 and 356, and without crossbolt safeties, rebound hammers, or angle eject. In other words, one that looked more like earlier guns, but in the newer calibers.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

There are no design weaknesses in the 86, 92 or 94, at least in their original form. They do exactly what they were intended to do with as close to 100% reliability, durability and safety as any mechanical device can get. Saying that their inability to handle pressures in cartridges designed 100 years after the rifle was designed is a weakness just doesn't make sense. Design limitation maybe, but certainly not weakness.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

No gun model bats 100% on reliability. Yours may but not all of them made.

If these models "go bad" what's usually the problem?

And....what makes them especially strong in terms of reliability?

I bought a post-64 model 64 and it had excess headspace from the start. Did not keep it long. Of course mistakes have been made with all guns, even the best.

It's for sure the lever gun world would be a much, much poorer world without these 3 outstanding guns.

Don McCullough
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

For the loads and the uses for what they were intended for, they cannot be improved. I cannot think of any part that is inherently weak.--------Sixgun
This is the key phrase of the week, I couldn't have said it better.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

OOOOPPPPPS I misread your post......I thought you were asking for those that HAVE a weakness for Winchester 86, 92 or 94s!

I've never known anyone to wear one out.....I've seen neglected and abused to destruction but never worn out beyond repair.

Wm
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

J Miller wrote:
This is the key phrase of the week, I couldn't have said it better.

Joe
Thanks Joe, And I would like to add a pistol--the 1911 :D That ole John Browning was really something. To be able to invent many designs of guns can cannot be improved, despite the innovations of technology in over 100 years, boggles my little mind.------Sixgun