Against the LAW to shoot soda cans...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

Against the LAW to shoot soda cans...

Post by 1894c »

went shooting today with my buddy at a gravel pit in the mountains, been doing this every friday for years. today a Conservation Officer showed up and informed us that he could fine us $250.00 for shooting soda cans on state land.

i showed him my LE credentials and told him i was unaware of this, he showed me the regs on his patrol computer, but mentioned that the law was not well known--but as i know the burden is placed on us, the alleged law-breaker.

seems the law was created because the younger generation hauls out all of their old computers, tvs, and garbage to shoot then they leave it (i think we've all seen it) while my buddy and i always take back what we brought (i was and am a good Boy Scout).

we didn't get fined and had a good discussion about BUGS (back-up guns)--shook hands--thanked him for his service. this saddens me i've been shooting soda cans forever, it's part of the fun of "plinking"--guess it's clay pigeons and we're going to try wooden blocks, both are legal---NUTS... :(

BY THE WAY--I was shooting my Browning BL-22 at 75yds with Blazer .22cal. -- this is the finest levergun i have ever owned...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Against the LAW to shoot soda cans...

Post by Grizz »

everything is already illegal now
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

shoulda told him that they weren't soda cans, they were cylindrical aluminum tubes with enclosed ends... specifically made for shooting at.
Then offered him a try at shooting your little Browning... and slip a soda can in and amd let him plink that right while you snap that event on your cell phone camera. :lol:
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

They went one step further in AZ and made "target shooting" illegal on state land! I can hunt all I want, but plinking? ILLEGAL.

This country, quite literally, IS going to he11.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

just goes to show, when you abuse a privilege, you lose it.

I've seen plenty of shooting spots with TV's, washing machines, Wankel Rotary Engines, broken glass, plastic and styrofoam ammo packaging, brass, shotgun shells, Prince Albert cans, etc...

Here in CA some of the 2ndA supporters went out to protest the new ban on open carry of unloaded handguns - by open carrying their unloaded rifles. Well, guess what's in the works - a new law to prevent the open carry of long guns. And while they're at it, they're going to overwrite several old sections with some nasty additions.

Way to go guys.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

El Chivo wrote:just goes to show, when you abuse a privilege, you lose it.

I've seen plenty of shooting spots with TV's, washing machines, Wankel Rotary Engines, broken glass, plastic and styrofoam ammo packaging, brass, shotgun shells, Prince Albert cans, etc...

Here in CA some of the 2ndA supporters went out to protest the new ban on open carry of unloaded handguns - by open carrying their unloaded rifles. Well, guess what's in the works - a new law to prevent the open carry of long guns. And while they're at it, they're going to overwrite several old sections with some nasty additions.

Way to go guys.
Nobody likes a litterbug, and that's what slob shooters are, is litterbugs. Taking target practice in a public environment is a privilege, and those who abuse it should be denied that priviege forthwith.

Keep America Beautiful, right?

Exercising one's RIGHT to Keep and Bear Arms is a different issue entirely. Having some group of oppressive penile simuloids attempt to deprive people of their rights simply because they object to seeing them exercised in public or otherwise is, simply stated, oppression.

It's giving ground to evil to accuse someone who's done nothing wrong of misbehavior, in favor of pacifying those whose only goal it is to undermine their neighbors civil liberties in order to to satisfy their own whim.

:|
Last edited by FWiedner on Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

What part of possibly earth are you in?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

here folks shot at the Pawnee National Grass lands. They have rules you must carry in and carry out all your targets, no shooting at glass or cans. This is primarily an attempt to keep the area cleaner. Still some folks leave an ugly mess behind which in the long run will close the entire spot down.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

No plinking on game lands here either unless at a designated range. They keep closing them one at a time
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

I was in an Academy last summer and bought a large red rubber block and several smaller red rubber balls with webs. These are quite a bit of fun to shoot at with the .22’s up through the 45’s.
Slim
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

olyinaz wrote:They went one step further in AZ and made "target shooting" illegal on state land! I can hunt all I want, but plinking? ILLEGAL.

Oly
Then sadly I have no reason to return to AZ. Unless I can shoot, and it looks as if I no longer can, there's no difference between AZ an IL.

Just owning guns is not enough. You need to be free to use them too.

I'm glad my time on this planet is getting shorter, if I was a young man I'd not be able to stand it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It's truly disgusting the mess of old "stuff", broken glass, etc that has accumulated at popular shooting sites...Slob shooters and hunters are a sign of the times, and are ruining it for the rest of us....I guess I leave .22 rimfire brass where I shoot it....is that the same?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Our club welcomes the Marines, to use/qualify on the 200/300/600 range. When they leave there's not one piece of brass left or any signs they have been there. MOST, not all, of the club members are just as responsible. 22 shooters still need a little instruction, on how to use a broom and dustpan though. :D
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

J Miller wrote:
olyinaz wrote:They went one step further in AZ and made "target shooting" illegal on state land! I can hunt all I want, but plinking? ILLEGAL.

Oly
Then sadly I have no reason to return to AZ. Unless I can shoot, and it looks as if I no longer can, there's no difference between AZ an IL.

I'm glad my time on this planet is getting shorter, if I was a young man I'd not be able to stand it.

Joe
I dont recall shooting on state land in AZ. We shot on National Forest mostly (and there's vast areas of National Forest), though some places may have been state. We shoot on state, BLM and National Forest up this way. I can shoot in the yard, but there's better places on pubic land.

I can't say I'm all that surprised that state land was closed. So many places where completely covered in trash that people brought out to shoot. It was pretty sad to see. The slobs ruined it for everyone else.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

With the federal land closed around the PHx area, and now all the state land closed it's going to be almost impossible to find free places to shoot. I don't care for gun ranges although I do or would use them on occasion. I like shooting out in the boonies by myself or with a couple of friends. It's quieter and more fun that way.

I am also one of those who pick up metal others leave behind when I find a spot to shoot. I can't begin to tell you how much powder and primers I've bought with the funds received from the scrap I brought back with me.

No sense in closing off the land to everyone. No sense at all.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

J Miller wrote:No sense in closing off the land to everyone. No sense at all.

Joe
+1 on that, Joe. Seems about 5% of the population consists of ding-dongs. But instead of working on those 5% the current crop of bureaucrat loves to use their antics as an excuse to close off the land to all the rest of us.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

That's quite a jaunt from Golden to Pawnee. When I lived in Golden (back in the dark ages) I belonged to the Coors club when it was just 4 miles north of Golden, up against the foothills. Even shot trap at night there. Just like airports, nitwits built houses close and then gripped about the noise. I gave up on Golden before 1980 and don't miss it.
dkmlever wrote:here folks shot at the Pawnee National Grass lands. They have rules you must carry in and carry out all your targets, no shooting at glass or cans. This is primarily an attempt to keep the area cleaner. Still some folks leave an ugly mess behind which in the long run will close the entire spot down.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Old Savage wrote:What part of possibly earth are you in?
&1?
336bl wrote: he could fine us $250.00 for shooting soda cans on state land.
care to say what state that is?
336bl wrote:--guess it's clay pigeons and we're going to try wooden blocks, both are legal---NUTS... :(
is there a list somewhere, of what is "acceptable" and what is not?
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
JP_TX
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JP_TX »

Geez, I hate to point this out, but the problem is not your politicians, it's your neighbors.

You've got to face it. Politicians is what Politicians are. But they can't steal first base. They've got to be elected.

As long as the same liberal liers convince the same voters that they have all the goodies and will give them away for free. There is little hope.

D'Toqueville said (I paraphrase) The one danger to the American democracy was when the politicians discovered that they can bribe the American voters with their own money.

"The problem lies not in our stars, but in ourselves."

JP
JP_TX
444 Marlin
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Joe - about Az, most of the "state" lands are "trust lands," not really truly public as you and I have known them, and just another ball
game altogther. They have all sorts of private interests--lease aspects, etc, attached to them...and I grant that some of them represent some former fine ol' plinking territory close in to (also a formerly smaller) Phoenix. But, they thankfully represent a minority of acreage relative to the national forest land which comprises most of Arizona's public/fed land--even in the desert as in north of Phoenix toward Payson. Lots of population pressure over the past thirty years also means when you do get to some of your fave old shooting haunts, there's someone there already blasting away. I may be wrong, but if the fed lands--as in forest--are closed, it's probably 'cause of the severe draught and fire restrictions, which is understandable right now. Not trying to paint a rosier picture than it probably still is--with lots of development, it is definitely harder to get "out there" than the good ol' days to do some plinking...and I'm probably missing some fine points, but the state land's just a small part of the so-called public picture.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

J Miller wrote:With the federal land closed around the PHx area, and now all the state land closed it's going to be almost impossible to find free places to shoot. I don't care for gun ranges although I do or would use them on occasion. I like shooting out in the boonies by myself or with a couple of friends. It's quieter and more fun that way.

I am also one of those who pick up metal others leave behind when I find a spot to shoot. I can't begin to tell you how much powder and primers I've bought with the funds received from the scrap I brought back with me.

No sense in closing off the land to everyone. No sense at all.

Joe
Joe
That law has been around for a while, I believe some time since the mid to late 90's, I left in 98 and it was in effect south of Tucson then.

I remember the signs that read State Land No Trespassing, then if you read the fine print it said if you had a hunting or fishing permit you were allowed to enter.

But all it meant to me was no more shooting bench and chrony on state land, as I always got the combo permit on the 31st of Dec.

I shot just as much as ever, but my targets were natural objects and I walked instead of sitting, actually it was more fun all around, there was always something to shoot or hunt, it only varied with the time of year

Your imagination is your only limitation on natural targets, animate or inanimate my barrels stayed pretty warm.

You remember those little ring tailed lizards that lived in the big sand washes that would take off about 90MPH throwing little rooster tails behind them, talk about fun with a levergun or revolver, beats tin cans anytime.

Then my all time favorite target, prickly pear fruit, you get the red mist and don't even have to kill anything.

You can still have fun Joe

Take care-- J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

FWiedner wrote:
El Chivo wrote:just goes to show, when you abuse a privilege, you lose it.

Way to go guys.
Nobody likes a litterbug, and that's what slob shooters are, is litterbugs. Taking target practice in a public environment is a privilege, and those who abuse it should be denied that priviege forthwith.

Keep America Beautiful, right?

Exercising one's RIGHT to Keep and Bear Arms is a different issue entirely. Having some group of oppressive penile simuloids attempt to deprive people of their rights simply because they object to seeing them exercised in public or otherwise is, simply stated, oppression.

It's giving ground to evil to accuse someone who's done nothing wrong of misbehavior, in favor of pacifying those whose only goal it is to undermine their neighbors civil liberties in order to to satisfy their own whim.

Yes it is giving ground to evil, but when the evil, oppressive contingent holds all the cards, the smart play is not to attract attention to yourself. Coexist. Something controversial like open carrying guns in public is better reserved for when you really need it, for example if your car breaks down and you have to walk and don't want to leave your gun unattended. An "In Your Face" attitude may feel good in the short term but it gets that right taken away, just as littering at target ranges gets those shooting rights taken away.

I see it as a matter of cooperation with the contingent that doesn't like or understand guns, meaning, us keeping a low profile respects them and preserves our rights. We gun owners don't have a lot to complain about when our public ranges get closed down, the evidence is there that we're slobs. Their stuff rubs off on the rest of us.

To quote from a song by Steve Martin:

Be courteous, kind and forgiving,
be thoughtful and helpful each day
put a live chicken in your underwear
be oblong and have your knees removed
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

J Miller wrote:With the federal land closed around the PHx area, and now all the state land closed it's going to be almost impossible to find free places to shoot.....

I guess I was stuck on the phx part. If you want to be around phx, I see your point, it just never occured to me anyone would willingly go there when there's so much of the state that isn't phx.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

In Kansas, it is against the law to target shoot on Public Hunting Areas period. Only authorized shooting is for HUNTING. I totally support the law. Nothing is more irritating than trying to hunt and have someone out BLASTING everything in sight. If you want to target shoot, go to the range or find your own place. Hunting areas are for hunting.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Never really been a fan of "target shooting" except competition SmBore & silhouette... and I really don't like punching paper.

I have a steel gong I use for zero/practice & I try to get out to shoot prariedogs for redmist.

But I never really personally had any desire to shoot cans.

OTOH, if they want to stop littering, charge people with littering. Shooting cans only becomes littering if you are a jerk.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

pokey wrote:
Old Savage wrote:What part of possibly earth are you in?
&1?
336bl wrote: he could fine us $250.00 for shooting soda cans on state land.
care to say what state that is?
336bl wrote:--guess it's clay pigeons and we're going to try wooden blocks, both are legal---NUTS... :(
is there a list somewhere, of what is "acceptable" and what is not?
Pacific NorthWest...according to the Regs we can shoot paper targets, paper targets attached to card-board boxes, paper-targets or spray-painted targets attached to plywood, or pieces of wood...basically anything that will disintegrate or rot away (biodegradable eco-friendly stuff)--it was easier for them to create a short list of what's acceptable than to create a long list of what's not...not sure if a Spotted Owl duct-tapped to a card-board box would be permissable... :)
Last edited by 1894c on Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

El Chivo wrote:Yes it is giving ground to evil, but when the evil, oppressive contingent holds all the cards, the smart play is not to attract attention to yourself. Coexist. Something controversial like open carrying guns in public is better reserved for when you really need it, for example if your car breaks down and you have to walk and don't want to leave your gun unattended. An "In Your Face" attitude may feel good in the short term but it gets that right taken away, just as littering at target ranges gets those shooting rights taken away.

I see it as a matter of cooperation with the contingent that doesn't like or understand guns, meaning, us keeping a low profile respects them and preserves our rights. We gun owners don't have a lot to complain about when our public ranges get closed down, the evidence is there that we're slobs. Their stuff rubs off on the rest of us.

To quote from a song by Steve Martin:

Be courteous, kind and forgiving,
be thoughtful and helpful each day
put a live chicken in your underwear
be oblong and have your knees removed
Keeping a low profile doesn't maintain anyone's rights. It only turns the right of concern into a doormat for the political special interest most opposed to it. You weaken your ability to publicly exercise your rights both by being too politcally correct to stand in opposition to those who choose to deprive you of your liberties and by being afraid or ashamed to openly exercise those rights.

The oppressive contingent doesn't hold all the cards. The truth is that they don't hold any of the cards.

What's happened is that they've succeeded in convincing you that gun-owners who stand up for themselves are in the wrong, whether or not what they do is legal.

Holder's big plan is apparently working.

Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

J Miller wrote:

Oly

I'm glad my time on this planet is getting shorter, if I was a young man I'd not be able to stand it. Joe
Well it aint that bad, but it's bad enough. It's "State Trust Land" that I'm talking about (which just happens to be the open land closest to me....that everyone goes shooting on). See this document:

http://ag.arizona.edu/backyards/article ... 9/p8-9.pdf

They like to tell you over and over again that State Trust Land is not "public" land like BLM or other federal govt. land, but they can kiss my butt on that one! I don't care what kind of "trust" it's been stolen from the people and squirreled away in - IT'S THE PEOPLE'S LAND. That the federal govt. aided the State (Territory) in the theft years ago doesn't make it any better. The whole concept really chaps my butt. :evil:

Mean time, everyone shoots on it! The whole situation is ludicrous.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Tell 'em if they don't like you shooting cans before you recycle them you will just have to switch to Tannerite... :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

336bl wrote:...not sure if a Spotted Owl duct-tapped to a card-board box would be permissable... :)
:lol: :lol:
since i live on the wet side i may be able to come up with that.
[been here , off and on, since the mid 70's and have never actually seen one though].
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BlaineG wrote:It's truly disgusting the mess of old "stuff", broken glass, etc that has accumulated at popular shooting sites...Slob shooters and hunters are a sign of the times, and are ruining it for the rest of us....I guess I leave .22 rimfire brass where I shoot it....is that the same?
To me, few things look as good as a carpet of .22 cases covering the ground... :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'm gonna blame it all on the "me generation" with their fast semi-autos and "instant gratification/uncaring" attitude. I never experienced filth and an uncaring attitude from fellow citizens until the last 15 or 20 years.---yea, there was always pigs, but nowhere near what it has become.

Our private gunclub is spotless, mostly because we police our own and 99% of the time, its the old heads reminding the younguns that pigs are not allowed here. We are not nice and "they" get the hint real fast.

While visiting my son in Colorado a couple of years back, we went to this public range deep in the woods. It was a pigsty with people shooting all kinds of stuff and firing from irregular starting points, which made me nervous. The offenders were all twenty-something.

I don't have an answer, just glad I was born when I was--today's American culture has gone to pot.---------Mr. Ingot
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
BlaineG wrote:It's truly disgusting the mess of old "stuff", broken glass, etc that has accumulated at popular shooting sites...Slob shooters and hunters are a sign of the times, and are ruining it for the rest of us....I guess I leave .22 rimfire brass where I shoot it....is that the same?
To me, few things look as good as a carpet of .22 cases covering the ground... :D
An entertaining sentiment, but IMO a lazy range slob that doesn't pick up his brass just because it's small and there's so many of them is still just a lazy range slob.

:?