Favorite?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Favorite?

Post by rjohns94 »

Ok, this isn't our standard once in a blue moon if you only had one .... This is simply a topic on what is your favorite lever gun and why? Pictures are a must. I will post mine as soon as I take pictures but it is an early 1900s semi deluxe model 94 with octagon barrel, take down and in 30-30. I think it's lines, feel and caliber just scream "take me hunting". Which is just what I plan to do his fall. Pics to follow
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Re: Favorite?

Post by Lastmohecken »

That is sort of a hard question, because I like a lot of different leverguns for as many reasons. I have several pre-64's in the model 94 Win, several Browning Replicas which I like very much, a couple of 71's, and .22's, but I recond my favorite must be my old beat up, Browning BLR in .308 Win, because of all of the memories of game taken with it. I have made some of my longest shots with it, and also many running shots, and it just works so well under so many different hunting conditions.

Sorry, I can't post a picture, I need to get to where I can do that on here.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

299785_2079838604816_1510562952_31634471_172059426_n.jpg
Lastmohecken wrote:That is sort of a hard question, because I like a lot of different leverguns for as many reasons. I have several pre-64's in the model 94 Win, several Browning Replicas which I like very much, a couple of 71's, and .22's, but I recond my favorite must be my old beat up, Browning BLR in .308 Win, because of all of the memories of game taken with it. I have made some of my longest shots with it, and also many running shots, and it just works so well under so many different hunting conditions.

Sorry, I can't post a picture, I need to get to where I can do that on here.
Yes you can, just attach it directly to your post by uploading from your computer. Directly below the post entry box, you might have to scroll down a bit to see it, you can choose a file, add it to the post and even move the code around to put it in different postions by posting "in line" just as I did here with the lightning fast chicken ______, er... Army Security Agency shoulder insignia.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I have many favorites. I love the Winchester 94's, so trim, handy and light. I'm looking forward to getting my project gun done some day (it will be a while with the economy that way it is). It will be a 1902 38-55 short rifle in 38-55. I also love the 86's. I like the carbine a LOT, but would like to do up a short rifle with light 22" round barrel, full mag, shotgun butt, straight grip, etc. As for practical, the 71 is hard to beat for having both decent range and horsepower. I'm not crazy about the tight pistol grip, half magazine, or longish barrel (and big ramp sight). If stuck with one, the 71 would probably be it, and it would become a straight grip, full mag 22" gun, and would get nice wood, and have a forward mounted scope with very low profle bases, so the times I wasnt using the scope, the bases were unobtrusive. Or, I'd do an 86 in 348, however you'd like to call it.

71 up on the mountain in July,

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

My all time favorite lever gun with my all time favorite dog Chico.

A 1970 39 Century Limited that Dave in Tennessee was gracious
to sell for a price I could afford. Thank you Dave.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

This one's easy. 39 Centenial. I tend to shoot it the most, not only because .22 lr is easier on my shoulder, but because I really like the way the octagon barrel handles. I have another 39, but with the longer round tube it just doesn't "feel" as good.

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have a group of "keeper" levers that I plan on haveing here for along time. each has a purpose. I have had this only three weeks but it really is growing on Me.it is a sweet shooter.1886/71....... http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee33/Butch45/086.jpg
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

favorite, hhmmmm?
favorite94.JPG
wished for favorite?
win94_5bbl.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Tried to post a pic of my 1895 Winny's, but the pic is too big. How do I shrink it? I have never posted a pic on here, now I know why. :lol:
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

If you go to your photo management program, choose edit and then choose resize. Must be a pretty big file. If you get a free account on photo bucket, it sizes it automatically
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

This 40-82 is the one that I have shot the most because it has been downright challenging to develop accurate loads for. I have it dialed in now and added a tang sight. It has been fired several hundred times since 2008 after sitting in a closet since my dad bought it at an auction in ~1929.

This 308 is my favorite if I need to fill the freezer with a deer or elk. It will do sub MOA groups all day long and is a quick gun in the heavy timber where I hunt.

dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

My Marlin model 93 in 32 W Spec made (I think) in the mid 20's, super accurate!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Go Figure! My custom Winchester 94, .30-30 cal., Heavy octagon barrel, full length mag tube and extra fancy wood.

Danged if this little Trapper I bought a few years back ain't also just too cool. '66 Canadian Centennial, .30-30 Trapper barrel and silver plated stuff

Then... there's always
A bunch of .30-30s with a 1873 and Henry thrown in!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I'll work on a pic or two when I can, but the Win 1892 is my favorite. I've only got clones, but the overall design is a dandy and hard to "miss" with--shooting or handling-- regardless. Of what I have, a ca 1917 Win 1894 SRC, .30WCF, is my favorite specific gun--an old but still very serviceable condition ranch (and frmr LA County Sheriff's office--stamp) gun plucked from a life of obscurity or worse from a pawn shop on a cold winter day on the Western Slope in Colorado fifteen or so years ago. It's the keeper.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

geobru wrote: since my dad bought it at an auction in ~1929.
that , right there , would make it my favorite. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

pokey wrote:
geobru wrote: since my dad bought it at an auction in ~1929.
that , right there , would make it my favorite. :wink:
Yep, that is definitely part of it too. Dad never shot that gun, and every time I shoot it now, I think of him. He passed in 1995.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Grizz wrote:My all time favorite lever gun with my all time favorite dog Chico.

A 1970 39 Century Limited that Dave in Tennessee was gracious
to sell for a price I could afford. Thank you Dave.
Grizz - great looking gun and dog! My first Springer (on my own) was "Chico" too! - about thirty years ago. Also maybe my fave, but that's very hard to say as they've all been pretty special. Still miss all of them--nothing like a good Springer...need to get back into the biz!
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

my Marlin 375 .... easy to take apart for cleaning and boresighting, and very accurate too !!

Cheers,

Carl
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

My 1908 Marlin 1893 rifle take down 30-30 with 20 inch octagon barrel and pistol grip.
Sending from phone so will have to post a pic later
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Saw this post and had to see some of the responces...
the lawn can wait! :lol: :lol: :lol:
geobru...love the 86....real nice..
mines favorite is a 1926 model 1892 38-40, top one
the second one is a 44mag and bottom one is a 357
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Love my 94s in 30-30

But, my 95 in 30-06 my wife gave me for our 25th anniversary 7 years ago will always be #1 -

In rifles, that is - she will always be #1 in my life - well ahead of all else -
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Favorite one overall is the Model 94 left to me by my dad when he passed ---- its one of those non-descript Ranger models that they made a bunch of and sold through Wal MArt, but i bought it for him for Christmas (or maybe a birthday) 1997, he loved it, and when he left this earth, it was one of his wishes that i have it back :) (sorry for the blurry pic -i'll post another one if i can dig it out of the safe )

Favorite for plinking is one of my model 94 .45 Trappers (i have 2 - 1 with wood and one with synthetic stock , but i'll give the nod to the wood stocked one ) -- this little carbine is just plain F-U-N Fun

Favorite for strictly business is my Guide Gun, 45-70, complete with big carrying handle --- i've used it 3 deer seasons now with the FTX bullets and have a lot of confidence in the rig -- . 45-70 for Oklahoma deer is possibly a teensy tad overkill, but the first year i used it, it was the only rifle i had sighted in well enough to trust , and i've just grabbed it ever since. So far, the 325gr FTX bullet has not been bad on meat either

----- Doug
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Surprise! :wink: :mrgreen: Yep the Win. 94 Big Bore in 356 Winchester. I like the classics with a slight twist to them.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8