Western Wildfires via NASA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

Re: Western Wildfires via NASA

Post by Hobie »

Thanks for sharing... it is interesting.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

What I found really fasinating from those was the pattern of the smoke drift.
Also it was amazing as to how little green was to be seen across the rmw and highplains :o :(
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

It shows we have so very little snowpack left, even in the "high-up" hills.. The Big Horn Basin is the same color, on the ground, as it looks to be from the orbiter..

So much of our forests is either dead or dying from beetle infestation, but the Greenies seem to like it that way, as they will not allow selective cutting or spraying for the little pests..

Clear-cutting and reseeding may be the only action that can save the forest now.. A wild fire on the Shoshone or Bridger-Teton would burn up most of the thin organic soil that underlies millions of acres of timberland..

Which brings us to another point: the Enviro-Nazis cannot abide the notion that anyone should stand to profit from the harvesting and sale of "our" natural resources.. (And yet so many of them proudly dwell in large log homes, and would live in tents on the forest, if only they could... Maybe then, their beloved bears and wolves would befriend them, and invite them over for supper... As the main course.....)
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Buck it's a great sadness to travel around our great state and see all the beetle kill, and to see all of the sawmills that used to provide jobs and needed lumber that are just vacant acreages....
To many people were apparently offended by folks harvesting timber from their "public" lands... Now those same folks will be screaming because all their trees are burnt stumps in a washed out desert....
Looking like that Squirrel Creek fire at Fox Park has run across Sheep Mtn and is heading down to the flats, they've evac"ed everything between 130 and 230 west of Harmony lane.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Now they've evacuated the town of Osage west of New Castle... wonder how much won't be burned by the time snowfalls (hopefully) this fall....
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Don & Buck Ill agree !00% with ya on the tree huggers, Im not gonna add to it cuzzzz I may get in trouble

ollogger
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

It's not always treehuggers either. I always was puzzled by the number of elk "hunters" that would arque against a timber sale. Apparently they thought elk only ate pinecones? :roll: Never mind how they had more trouble finding fewer elk as the timber grew over meadows and clearings.....
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

ollogger wrote:Don & Buck Ill agree !00% with ya on the tree huggers, Im not gonna add to it cuzzzz I may get in trouble.
Yep.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Buck Elliott wrote:
Maybe then, their beloved bears and wolves would befriend them, and invite them over for supper... As the main course....

not sure any bear or wolf would actually look at the "greenies" as a suitable meal...'cause from what i can see their already full of organic soil supplement... :)
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

The day rides at Sturgis will no doubt include fire watching this year. It looks like smoke goes right over the Black Hills area.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

It is odd in regards to forest management. We have a similar problem here in Massachusetts with many of the state forests and parks that have matured over the past century. Recently the governor has allowed the cutting of some state forests and that caused a bit of a stir with some environmental people. To me, it was the best thing going. Now the openings are filling up with secondary growth and providing browse for deer and other game.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

It's been amazing to fly past it all these past weeks. At night you can see 'em stretching for hundreds of miles and it just seems like there's no part of the West that wasn't studded with them.

This is a terrible pic, but honestly it was nearly dark and I'm stunned that the iPhone captured even this. This fire line was burning in the mountains just south of Salt Lake City this past week, but you can see fires studding the entire landscape as far as the eye can see, and at 38,000 feet that's for hundreds of miles.

In all my years I've never seen so many fires burning at the same time. :(

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Yesterday the smoke from that Arapaho fire layed in our basin here so thick that visibility was about 1/4 mile.... Hacking and wheezing, and I'm thinking so much for quitting the Marlboros 25 years ago.... :lol:
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Wednesdy morning coming home from work, it was a choker here in Glenrock too with the same 1/4m vis. Now it really doesn't matter which way the wind is blowing, the smoke can come in from any direction.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Mighty sad to see. It is amazing technology though.