OT--Clint Walker (Cheyenne) a REAL hero

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

OT--Clint Walker (Cheyenne) a REAL hero

Post by getitdone1 »

Been browsing at the Clint Walker web site. www.clintwalker.com

Clint is my favorite cowboy movie star. Never been much for heroes but Clint would have to be mine. A genuinely good guy who set a fine example for a lot of kids in the 50s, 60s and seventies. Remember his very popular TV series, Cheyenne?

Like all of us he's not getting any younger and I wonder how his health is at this time? Believe he now lives in Northern CA. Town called Grass Valley, I think. Maybe I can get up there for a visit in a few months once I get moved back to California.

I'm gonna be buying some more things at his site and maybe some of you will do the same.

Don McCullough
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

"Cheyenne, Cheyenne, where will you be campin' tonight ........."
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ctrl D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

ornery
Levergunner

Post by ornery »

:) My Pop was a good friend of his. (They did bit of gun business together).

I haven't seen him in at least 10 years, he didn't look his best THEN. He was injured horribly in a skiing accident, (pole in the groin :shock: ) which basically put the brakes on his career.

I'm with ya' Getit, nice guy and one of my fave's. Hope you do get up that way and see him.... :)
Soy vaquero, nada mas.
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

ornery wrote::) My Pop was a good friend of his. (They did bit of gun business together).

I haven't seen him in at least 10 years, he didn't look his best THEN. He was injured horribly in a skiing accident, (pole in the groin :shock: ) which basically put the brakes on his career.

I'm with ya' Getit, nice guy and one of my fave's. Hope you do get up that way and see him.... :)
Not exactly.
The freak accident occurred at Mammoth Mountain, where a ski pole pierced Clint’s heart. Two months later, he was back at work in Spain. Tough ***.
Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
End the cycle of hatred, don't give them a tomorrow.
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Here is a picture of clint walker and my wife taken about 2 years ago. He was thinking of relocateing near kanob utah, I havent heard if he found a place yet.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Great show, my dad and I both enjoyed watching it together. He was definately one of my favorites.
Gun Runner

Post by Gun Runner »

Clint does live in Grass Valley Calif. Have had the pleasure of talking to him many times. He used to come into the gun shop where I used to work part time. Winchester made a rifle for him and I had the pleasure of unpacking it when it came in. This is the type where you wear white cotton gloves to handle it. Clint is now slightly stooped over from back problems, and is starting to have trouble with his eyesight. His wife is a sweety and drives him around now.

Gun Runner
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

He looks pretty good to me. I hope I'm that good when I'm his age.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Always enjoyed his work...
I guess the best film he was is was The Dirty Dozen
with Lee Marvin and Charles Bronson
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I once lived in Grass Valley myself, back in the early 50's. I e-mailed old Clint, just to thank him for such an example he has set, very talented and the best of entertainer type guy. Need more like him, certainly no commie blood or mad at his country type attitude in him.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

A couple of years ago, after a thread on the old forum, I had a chance to communicate with him and his wife several times via e-mail. I also purchased a signed picture of his. If you do any research on the man, there's a lot there to respect. And the show was always a favorite of mine.

I got the impression that his health was failing then. His signature on the picture was shaky, and I knew his wife did a lot of the work for him -- letter writing, etc. I hope he's hanging in there OK. Not enough men like him in the world today, much less the good old U.S.A.
Last edited by alnitak on Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Cheyenne was one of my favorite US imports over here. I wish we would show a lot more reruns of the old Westerns today! :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The last time I visited the web site I got the impression that he is trying to improve his financial status a little by selling autographed copies of Cheyenne and other items. I think it's a great idea and I wish him well. I'm sure the retired actors don't have the greatest pension plan in the world. It makes me want to buy something from him to help support a great American.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Does anyone remember the movie he was in called "Night of The Grizzly"? I remember one line of his, where he was learning about this maraiding old Grizzly, from someone else in the movie and he asked something like "Won't a 44/40 kill it?" or something simular. And in the end, they had to pump several 44/40 into the bear to finally kill it.

Anyway, I remember that movie from when I was a little kid, that bear always scared me half to death, as a youngster. :)
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Got a story that I am not positive was clint or not, think it was, but it could have been another brother or cousin. My dad grew up with a merrill walker and named me after his buddy who was sheriff of green lake county wisconsin. In the late 40s we were visiting on the farm and a bunch of relatives were all there. A couple of teenagers were shooting archery. I was about 7 or 8 years old and had never seen archery before. One of them that resembled clint, or norman back then, was going to show me how high a arrow could go. He shot straight up and the arrow came down on a dogs head walking nearby! Someone else yelled out something to the effect of, thats pa,s favorite dog, yer gonna get it! I dont think the dog was seriousley hurt but bloodied. The teenager that might have been clint ran for the woods and we didnt see him the rest of the visit. Two years ago I spotted clint at a doings in kanob, my wife had told me she had a crush on him as a kid so I introduced her and took the picture.
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

Wow, I'd forgotten all about "Cheyenne" . I just got on Amazon and ordered the first season. Loved it.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Lastmohecken wrote:Does anyone remember the movie he was in called "Night of The Grizzly"? I remember one line of his, where he was learning about this maraiding old Grizzly, from someone else in the movie and he asked something like "Won't a 44/40 kill it?" or something simular. And in the end, they had to pump several 44/40 into the bear to finally kill it.

Anyway, I remember that movie from when I was a little kid, that bear always scared me half to death, as a youngster. :)
Lastmohecken:

That's a great movie. Pretty sure Clint said it was his favorite of all he'd made.

Don McCullough
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

getitdone1 wrote:
Lastmohecken wrote:Does anyone remember the movie he was in called "Night of The Grizzly"? I remember one line of his, where he was learning about this maraiding old Grizzly, from someone else in the movie and he asked something like "Won't a 44/40 kill it?" or something simular. And in the end, they had to pump several 44/40 into the bear to finally kill it.

Lastmohecken:

That's a great movie. Pretty sure Clint said it was his favorite of all he'd made.

Don McCullough
Yup, I think it's my favorite of all of his movie's, too. I also liked that movie he was in called "Hardcase"
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Night of the Grizzly is my favorite Clint Walker movie. I like it when he attempts to gut "Ol Satan" while the bear is trying to pull him from under the log.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

e-bay

Post by brucew44guns »

Just checked E-Bay for that Grizzly movie, they are pretty proud of that one, about 40.00 with the shipping. Maybe a better price will come along later.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

i recall the 'cheyene' series very well. my wife and i talk of them occasionally.

clint walker is also a decorated WWII combat soldier as i read. wounded at normandy or sicily(?)
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

donw, I dont think so. Belive he was a merchant seaman or something right at end of the war.
JohnnyReb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnnyReb »

donw, you may be thinking of Lee Marvin who was in the dirty dozen with Clint Walker.

Interesting tidbit: When Lee Marvin starred in "The Big Red One" he actually visited some of the same battlefields and acted for some of the battles he actually fought in!
Redneck suicide note: Here, hold my beer and watch this!!
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I remember seeing Clint in a prayer-healing line on TV at a Bennie Hinn religious service several years ago. He was having problems with his eyes way back then & I heard him say he came up for his eyes. I e-mailed him a couple of years ago, & he responded pretty quickly.........told him I thought highly of him & appreciated what he'd done to provide enjoyment to us all. I rank him right up there with John Wayne, as a true American hero. jd45
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Hey Johnny, I was under the impression Lee fought with the Corp, (and Bob Keeshan, of Captain Kangaroo fame) in the Pacific Theater during WWII. Could be wrong, though. jd45
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I don't have a Clint Walker story but I do have to add this.

I was a kid in the early sixties when Walker, Eastwood, Lee Marvin, Steve McQueen, John Wayne, Charlton Heston both the Arness brothers, Fess Parker and a few others were in their heyday. The gun magazines I devoured were rich with the work of Skeeter, Elmer, Askins, Cooper and company. Most of those gun writers had 'been & done' long before they put pen to paper; many of the actors mentioned had seen war or tough times before 'hitting it big'. Most of our Dads, Grandads, Uncles and such had also seen war, worked like mules or seen hardscrabble times. They were hard men and it showed.

Looking back 40 years, I see how fortunate us boys were, to have fine examples of manhood nearly anywhere we looked. These were MEN- a far cry from the metrosexual/gender-bender 'men' that boys see today.

Today, it's up to us to provide that example. It's only fitting that we do. Passing it on is a matter of duty- and it's more important than ever. Today, there are lions waiting to devour our male youth- especially those who have no idea of what a man should be. Mentor a young man, if you can.

We owe a debt of gratitude to guys like Mr. Walker, who provided a public example for the young men of their time. I hope if anyone has the means to contact him, they will pass that sentiment on to him.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

i stand corrected.

as per googling clint walker, wikipedia, states he joined the merchant marine at the end of WWII.

i saw lee marvin on johhny carson show...he was in the USMC and wounded on siapan while serving as a sniper with the 4 MARDIV as per confirmation by wikipedia. as a result he was medically discharged as a PFC.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Mtn Hawk
Levergunner

Post by Mtn Hawk »

Sarge--

Well said!