Advice needed 356 Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Advice needed 356 Winchester

Post by t.r. »

I found a lightly used Winchester 94 in .356 for $600. No box or original papers. I'm a hunter and not a collecter.

I know that ammo may be a problem in a few years. Should I buy this carbine or pass?

Thank you for your advice.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Advice needed 356 Winchester

Post by TedH »

You can find cheaper rifles to hunt with, but the 356 is a great cartridge with a lot of versatility. That's not a bad price for the rifle, so if you decided it wasn't for you, odds are good you could get your money back.
NRA Life Member
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I've been seeing a few this year from $600-$895 depending on condition. It is a versatile cartridge and you can make brass from 307 if you happend to find that instead. Also, 358 Win will work in a light load trimmed properly, but it will have weak ejection since it is not rimmed. I don't think it'd be a good idea for a lot of rounds, but my friend shoots 358 Win brass all the time out of his 94BB. Maybe someone else has a comment or advice about that with more info.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Redding makes a form and trim die which turns 444 marlin into 356 Win., if brass ever becomes an issue. I would snap it up myself. Very versatile cartridge on a classic platform. Cast bullets have been very fun in mine.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

If you prefer to hunt with a 94, the .356WCF maybe the most versatile for all around North American game. A 200 yard 3006 with a bigger bullet. It's WORTH the bother, for me. 8)
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Hornady needs to load it with 180 and 220 grain gummy points and it's magic SUPERFORMANCE powders. That would put it close/even to the Great .358 WCF, but in a lighter/handier weapon. Heaven, for a 94 GEEK like me. :wink:
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

hmmmmmmmm -- so should he purchase or pass? :lol: , OP your asking the wrong bunch of zealots here --- if your really worried about ammo (nobody here is, plenty of people find ways to shoot oddball stuff from a century ago or more) -- just stockpile 200 rounds of brass , 200 is a magic number that should last you forever in a hunting rifle
----- Doug
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I think a factory .356 at the price you suggest is a bargain.

If you reload, go for it. Brass isn't really that hard to get. I think your biggest problem will be deciding which load is your favorite.

If you don't reload, feeding the .356 can be expensive, and bargains are few and far between on the ol' GunBroker, but they are out there if you keep your eyes open.

I've never had an animal walk away from my .356. I thought one did last fall but it turned out she didn't go far, just about 20 yards.

Wonderful leverguns.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've owned BB94's in .307, .356, .375, .444, & .450M, and can truthfully say that the .356 is the best of the bunch.

I found it the most accurate of the bunch, with very adequate power out to at least 300yds ( I had a 3x scope on mine).

$600 for a non-canoe paddle stocked .356 is a GOOD buy, just "OK" for one with the (raspable) monte carlo (aka: canoe paddle) buttstock.

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Buy it, you'll like it.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Post by afish4570 »

Have loaded mine with 200 gr. RN actually for the 35 Rem for years. Just to be safe with the RN issue and increased recoil I ding each bullet to make a small flat spot on tip. Doesn't appear to effect accuracy at all. Using 3031 powder I chrono 2330fps with the 200 gr. bullet. Accurate works great. Also have played arround with the RCBS 200gr. FP that is very accurate GC design and get 1800 fps. with great accuracy. Haven't hunted the cast bullet but no reason not to really. I have a bx. of Speer 180 gr.that I have never bothered to load up because I like the way the 200 gr. drops them (deer). Cartridges last a long time as they are thicker wall on the brass than ...say the 3030. Winchester is the only brass so if you buy at least 100, preferably 200 you will have enough brass to shoot alot and no worry about running out of brass.This is the cartridge that should have been made popular but never made it. I understand it has its cult following and hog hunters just love it. You can play around with cast bullets for your 38/357 and use jacketed pistol bullets too. Very versatile and easy to load. Using the new Hornady gummy bullets might prove interesting to tinker with too. I bought some 200 gr. Rn at a bargain price about 8 yrs. ago and have at least 350 left.afish4570 :roll: :roll:
afish4570
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I decided to pass on this 356 Winchester. Couldn't really get over the ammo concern.

TR
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Post by afish4570 »

t.r. wrote:I decided to pass on this 356 Winchester. Couldn't really get over the ammo concern.

TR
As time goes on you may realize this was a keeper and regret it. The brass is very sturdy and long lived, the cal.358 can match 38 spec./357, 35 Rem and to within 150-200 fps of the 358 Win. It works great with all the jacketed bullets for the calibers mentioned above and is a cast boolit delight......cheap to shoot too. Do the math....just a 356 Win lover mouthing off. afish4570 :roll: :roll:
afish4570
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

AFish:

I own rifles for shooting and hunting that are chambered for readily available ammo. 356 is just too exotic for this hunter but each to his own I say!

TR
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Scrounging around for odd ammo is what I do for FUN. I've found 356 and 307 and 375 ammo in almost every place I've looked. ike the little store in Albuquerque - I walked in and found a dozen NH 1894's under $400 - including one pristine 307 that went home with me. On the home-built ammo rack I spied ten-twelve boxes of the old 250-gr 356W ammo. Made a deal on the spot for 16-17 bucks per.

I find the 307-356 stuff MUCH easier to find than 348W or 357Max - and I ain't giving up on those calibers or guns!

If you never shop at anyplace but the big-box chain stores, you're never gonna discover much...
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein