Three-gun tournament for you near Oregon...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Three-gun tournament for you near Oregon...

Post by AJMD429 »

Shooting apparently is all at NIGHT...

link - to CrimsonTrace night tournament
(...wanna borrow my Night Scout... :wink: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Three-gun tournament for you near Oregon...

Post by Blaine »

If I was hiding in the dark, and and someone's laser came on, that would make a pretty good target...No?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Mebbe, but I'm thinking more along the lines of practice (and fun) for feral hog hunting.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

You rarely ever see the 'LASER BEAM" like in movies except in very dusty or foggy conditions.

The other time is if it's an IR laser and you're using NVGs. Then, you see everyone's beam, so hope the other side doesn't have NVG's. Even then you don't always see the "BEAM", more often just your aiming dot.

Shooting at night with illuminated optics or lasers is definitely something that takes getting used to.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

MrMurphy wrote:You rarely ever see the 'LASER BEAM" like in movies except in very dusty or foggy conditions.

The other time is if it's an IR laser and you're using NVGs. Then, you see everyone's beam, so hope the other side doesn't have NVG's. Even then you don't always see the "BEAM", more often just your aiming dot.

Shooting at night with illuminated optics or lasers is definitely something that takes getting used to.
Not the beam, but if you are the target, where it came from will be bright and clear :wink: Just like the flashlight, if you aren't dumb enough to stare into it.... :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I agree with BlaineG about the self-defense thing in a way - I'd not want to be using a laser in the dark if someone "out there" was out to get me; I'd escape or hide first of course :wink: but if that weren't possible, I think I'd hesitate to turn on a 'beacon' of any kind.

On wild game or feral hogs or predators in the livestock, I'm sure it would work dandy (and have used it for small farm vermin).

For close-quarters self-defense, where they already see you, the laser doesn't add any risk, and might help you get a faster shot on-target, so I definitely see the appeal in that application, day or night.

For long-range applications where you're the 'stalker', like military/police (or criminals ambushing someone), and that person isn't looking for or expecting you, the laser could be used just prior to shooting to confirm aim, but I'd think doing that more than one time would then have them looking for you!

Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

With some distance between the target and the laser toting shooter, it is pretty tough to figure out where that red dot is coming from if you have no idea of their position. That is unless you are using a green laser or it is foggy out. Then you can see the beam and follow it to the shooter if you aren't dead already. You are improperly using a laser if you turn it on and search for your target with it. Find your target first, then light it up and take it out. Then its lights (or lasers) out again.
The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer