Archery cart (more/better photos)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Archery cart (more/better photos)

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Well, a lot of people build things for fun, function, and therapeutic value. At least that is why I like to build things. After working with my mind all week long, often the best thing for me to recharge is to make something with my hands. Now, I have nowhere near the skill and vision that Pitchy has. But every now and then, I just need to build something, and recently, with how busy the job has been, doing a project here or there has been just the ticket.

Now, that being said, time is the one thing I just never, ever have enough of. So, if I do a project, it needs to have a purpose. As many of you know, Y2K has competed in archery for many years now. This year he had his 4th trip to the South Carolina state championship, 4th year they won that, and 4th visit to the national tournament in Louisville – and this year he was the top-scoring male archer on his team!

So, the project? An archery cart to hold all of our archery gear!

It was a pretty straightforward design. A simple rectangular cart with a rack to hold up to 10 bows.

On one of the supports I put a pair of hooks to hold an old crossbow a friend of mine made in shop class back in high school. I'm thinking of picking up a modern crossbow, so any advice would be appreciated.

On the other support, I put a small shelf holding my fletching jig.

I took a few long PVC tubes, cut them, painted them, and mounted them to the deck of the cart. These became tubes to hold arrows, including the shorter crossbow bolts.

I made the cart big enough to hold my long recurve bow, the rest of the bows with some room to grow. The bottom was sized to fit my archery gear box, and the "mobile tube" we use to carry specific arrows to our backyard range. I was even able to strap in Y2K's archery case.

I used the color scheme I've begun using with most of my "working projects" - a dark green for the support (2x4) parts, and a "Panzer Gray" for the flat parts.

I'm driving my wife nuts with all of my carts and projects. What do you think? :D
Last edited by Ysabel Kid on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Archery cart

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Nice work ! :wink:

You shure you aint the one flinging arrows at Pitchy???
They look quite familiar...... :D
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very clever, nice job and useful. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Nice work ! :wink:

You shure you aint the one flinging arrows at Pitchy???
They look quite familiar...... :D
:lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Real nice plan that came together just right

I like the bows without the wheels

ollogger
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have to show that to 44MagHunter; he's into the "3-D shoots" with his bows big-time. Maybe it would help him organize his stuff.

I don't know if Y2K has to do it in the type shoots he goes to, but the 3-D folks all have these fold-up stools with their quivers and stuff fastened to them, and all sorts of holders for binoculars enabling quick use. There is alot of sitting when waiting at a given station to shoot, particularly on the "Bow Hunter Defense" ranges where they practice (not sure why they call them that, as they are just more 3-D targets - but you're allowed to use range finders there).

Cool cart, anyhow...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

A well thought out, and excellent looking cart there. :wink:

When you guys start looking at Crossbows....give the Excalibur brand some thought.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/

They have an excellent forum there as well.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Very nice! 8)
NRA Life Member
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

8) 8)

That looks like you got it from a store friend! Proud to know all the talented folk on here 8)

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Nath wrote:That looks like you got it from a store friend!
I think he just checked in to one of them fancy HoTels when he was flyin' around "on business" ( :wink: ), and stole one of their luggage and garment carts. Prolly got it up in his room and cut it into pieces with a hacksaw blade, and sent it home in pieces by FedEx or someother...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Jay,that looks like a professional piece of kit... 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Kid,
I'd say you 'da man! Organization is always the key to success as its just as important to have the physical stuff "in line" just as important as the mind. ( I need to take my own advice sometimes)

I especially like the idea of the PVC pipe.

That boy of yours is going places. Doing that well at an early age will make him the next Howard Hill---Way to go Y2K!!--------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'd say having all the gear together and organized like that would be a great psychological advantage as well. A plus to YKK and it makes those he's shooting against think too.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Cool project!

I do have a storage question though. Do you leave the traditional (non-compound) bows strung all the time? This can cause them to take a set and lower their draw strength.

I didn't know if the cart is for shop/home storage or for access at tournament.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Super cool idea and very practical
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

That's a fine looking rack. And good looking bows. I've been a longbow shooter for 20 years and have finally gave into shoulder troubles. I bought an Excaliber Vortex crossbow. It's the berries. A very effective hunting tool. It's not nearly as fun just to pull out and shoot in the driveway though. My plan is to move a few long bows and go down in weight on another one. That will cure my flinging arrow fix and then I'll concentrate on hunting with my Vortex.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Boy you got 'er organized. Nice work.

Owen
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:
Nath wrote:That looks like you got it from a store friend!
I think he just checked in to one of them fancy HoTels when he was flyin' around "on business" ( :wink: ), and stole one of their luggage and garment carts. Prolly got it up in his room and cut it into pieces with a hacksaw blade, and sent it home in pieces by FedEx or someother...
It did cross my mind!

Y2K chided me for the photo's - too much stuff in the background, so I took a few more photos with a sheet draped to make it easier to see the cart. This one is really just for home storage in the basement - trying to have all the gear in one place. I can pull it outside though through the basement door if needed.

I have heard conflicting info on the long bow and recurve. Some say not to leave them strung, and others say it won't hurt them. Hasn't seemed to have impacted them so far.