Anyone ever converted a straight-stock BLR to a pistol grip?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MZ5
Levergunner

Anyone ever converted a straight-stock BLR to a pistol grip?

Post by MZ5 »

I really like BLRs. The much-less-common (around here, anyway) pistol grip models work for me a lot better than the straight-grip models, however. I'd like to get a take-down model, but they're very high-priced on places like GunBroker, and very nearly don't exist locally. Except...

There's a (new) takedown at a local shop, and they have it at a fair price, I think. What I'm contemplating is taking the pistol grip stock and the curved lever off my current BLR and swapping it onto the straight-grip take-down model. I've taken my BLR apart before for trigger improvement, and I don't mind nor have any particular trouble working with them now that I've done it.

So, has anyone done this before, or anything like it? Thanks for any help, experience, or pointers.

P.S. This would have to be a do-it-myself job; sending the gun to someone to 'create' what I want for me is not in the cards at this time.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anyone ever converted a straight-stock BLR to a pistol grip?

Post by pwl44m »

Can't help with Your question. By Ur post count You are a relative newcomer so welcome and sit back and wait for the answers. Someone knows but it aren't Me.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
MZ5
Levergunner

Post by MZ5 »

Thank you kindly! :)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yep. If the answer doesn't magically appear in the dawning mist of the levergunscommunity.com forum within 24-48 hours, 'bump it to the top' just so the geezers who spend more time converting BLR's to pistol-grips than they do playing on their computers, finally stop for a cup of coffee, check their e-mail, and stumble upon your question. . . :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I'm another BLR fan but I don't know the answer either. Welcome in. (I have 11 or 12 of them)
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Why? :P
MZ5
Levergunner

Post by MZ5 »

Appreciate the replies.

I'm gonna take this as a great big NO. :lol:
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I didn't know they'd ever made a pistol gripped BLR. (I don't get out much).

I think it would be worth the risk to buy the take down model and try the swap. You can't lose even if the parts won't go. :D
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I've seen it done to a custom MLR here in Oz. A member of our local lever action club sent an older, steel receiver MLR to a gunsmith and had it converted to a custom stocked gun with an exaggerated pistol grip and heavy forearm as well as a heavy fluted barrel in .338 caliber. It is not practical as a walk about rifle but as a target rifle, and long range big game rifle, it works for him.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
MZ5
Levergunner

Post by MZ5 »

Well, I'm not sure at this point what I'll do. I was out shooting some today. It's really quite warm. Ammo and rifle temps 'stabilized' under the metal awning at ~120F, despite air temp only being ~115F. At least there was a breeze most of the time, and the humidity is unseasonably low. You know, powder behaves differently at these temps vs. the distinctly cool part of Idaho we moved here from. It even behaves quite differently vs. how it behaves at 90 - 100. Summertime shooting here can be a bit of a challenge, I find.

You all are a very entertaining bunch, as well as friendly & helpful. Thanks!