leather care question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

leather care question

Post by Grizz »

What would you use to restore and preserve old old leather?

I have a mail bag from long long ago, and a pony-express type saddle bag.

They are seriously dry and in need of some TLC.

I would prefer something I could get in Juneau, but would buy something here
if necessary. There is a tack shop up the road, maybe they have what I need,

what is it?

On a more serious note, for the benefit of those who don't know me,
here is my version of a hiking stick. yeah. it's waiting for me to get
back and warm it up
hiking_stick.jpg

Grizz
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: leather care question

Post by pwl44m »

Just don't fire till U see the whites of Their eyes.
Perry
Oh ! back to the question, should be lots of Whale Blubber there.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

https://www.obenaufs.com/index.php?rout ... duct_id=30
Obenauf's LP is about the most tenacious out there.
You might find a bit better price if you shop around.
Last edited by bdhold on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I use BLACKROCK Leather 'N' Rich.

Blackrock
PO Box 549
Pekin IL 61555

This is the stuff they use at the Western Heritage Center in OKC. I use it on my 1890ish R. T. Frazier saddle and my Shipley chaps, some old holsters and belts. Great stuff.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Some time back I seem to recall someone here having an old leather item they had and someone here on the forum suggested olive oil. You might do a search on olive oil and see if it fits your problem.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

bulldog1935 wrote:https://www.obenaufs.com/index.php?rout ... duct_id=30
What he said. I used it for chapped lips once.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BlaineG wrote:
bulldog1935 wrote:https://www.obenaufs.com/index.php?rout ... duct_id=30
What he said. I used it for chapped lips once.
chaps don't go on lips they goes on hips
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Rusty wrote:Some time back I seem to recall someone here having an old leather item they had and someone here on the forum suggested olive oil. You might do a search on olive oil and see if it fits your problem.
Rusty I have checked that out and got scathing criticisms because it doesn't do the good thing to leather and does bad things to it. I like olive oil but am going to try to get some of Blaine's chap balm.

Thanks for the info on Obenauf's and Blackrock

Grizz
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Plain old Neatsfoot oil has always served me for saddles and bridles. use it on boots, gun rigs, saddle scabards, there may be better stuff but it worked for me.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks Jerry

I added it to the list. Hopefully the tack shop will carry the right stuff.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I don't put my stuff through the paces of most here, but I've had good luck with Olive Oil. It was the only thing that brought back an old Ozark Saddle King saddle that had sat in a storage room too long without care. The leather doesn't seem to break down and come off on the rag as it did with Lexol, and it looks/feels "alive" and not dull and dry. It worked well on everything else too, without over softening and is what I use. Has anyone had trouble with olive oil? Maybe it's just that simple and we've had a great leather care product since the beginning of civilization?
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

neatsfoot oil is of course good stuff - it's also an ingredient in OLP and most other good leather treatments (Brooks Profide, etc.)
It also evaporates. The other treatments will have a mix of vegetable oils and beeswax, which slow the evaporation and, of course, seal and waterproof the surface.
Some treatments are all vegetable plus beeswax, because some leather dyes are dissolved out by neatsfoot oil.

CC, your experience with Lexol is because it is mostly a soap with added preservative. The soap removes the leather that's already broken down. But overall, tanned leather is happier in mild organic acids (tannic) than alkalies.

Most shoe leathers are tanned using the chromic acid process, on an industrial scale, and have to be neutralized with alkalies. Lexol is better for shoes than for soft leathers.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I use Lexol on my saddles and leather lineman belts. They make a leather conditioner and Neatsfoot dressing, I use them both.

Several years ago I got a what looks to be pigskin WW2 vintage Cavalry saddle bag from my Dad (he brought it home after the war, 1st Cav Div). It was a little stiff and dry; I used both Lexol products on it and it did soften it but it also darkened the leather.
MZ5
Levergunner

Post by MZ5 »

I, too, use Lexol. The toughest-use leather I have at present is a heavy motorcycle jacket that I wear most days of the year. It's not an ancient jacket, however. The Lexol does not over-soften it, nor does it strip any finish in any way. The cleaner cleans it well, and the conditioner keeps it pliable yet durable.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

MZ5 wrote:I, too, use Lexol. The toughest-use leather I have at present is a heavy motorcycle jacket that I wear most days of the year. It's not an ancient jacket, however. The Lexol does not over-soften it, nor does it strip any finish in any way. The cleaner cleans it well, and the conditioner keeps it pliable yet durable.

Could not have been said better. The only time I switch from Lexol is on my boots---they get Obenoffs. (or however that name is spelled)--------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I also use this once a year on everything that needs to be waterproof, or at least very resistant.

The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

damienph,most all of the later U.S. Cavalry saddle bags were made of pigskin.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

JerryB wrote:damienph,most all of the later U.S. Cavalry saddle bags were made of pigskin.
I don't know the actual date of this one and my Dad passed away 9 years ago so I can't ask him but maybe I just assumed he brought it home in '46. It is pretty cool, white cloth lined, oval with US on both flaps.
Jerry, what vintage do you think that it would be? I can take and post some pics if that would help.

Sorry to be rambling off thread
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I know the WW1 saddle bags were pigskin so the army probably stayed with that on into the 1930's until they disbanded the horse cavalry. I'll do some checking on it.

Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

Bick Number 4 Leather Conditioner. Rub some on with your fingers until it soaks in and buff or rub in some more. It has kept my boots from cracking and they look new again when I use it. I have leather sheaths that took some effort to make and Bick 4 goes on them a couple times a year too. Keeps them looking very nice, repels water and does not soften features or make the leather mushy or flimsy.

http://www.bickmore.com/bickmore/Leathe ... Bick4.html

I got put onto this one by Weaver Leather, in Mt. Hope, Ohio. ("Amish Country")

http://www.weaverleather.com/

I've used a lot of other stuff, but Bick 4 has been the best on important or expensive leather items by far. I am sure there are others that are good too but this one has impressed me most so far of everything I have tried.

I use that silicone stuff BlaineG showed on everything made of cloth that I wear outdoors - hats, jackets, coats, but never tried it on leather. It works very well for the availablility, cost and ease of application.