Chronographed the MZ hunting pistol.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Chronographed the MZ hunting pistol.

Post by bigbore442001 »

Several years ago I bought a unique muzzleloading handgun. The Kahnke M82 single shot pistol reminds me of a muzzleloading version of the Contender in the fact that you can interchange barrels of different calibers and lengths. You can get 10,12 and 14 barrels in 36,45,50 and 54. I own a stainless model with a .50 caliber 14 inch barrel. I mounted a 4x Burris on that barrel. So far I have taken two game animals. A Russian boar and a red deer hind( female) many years ago with the gun.

I wanted to do some shooting over the chronograph and had a bit of free time today. I headed to the range and shot for about an hour and a half. It was enlightening to say the least.

I have a can of GOEX 3 F powder that hasn't been used much. I have been using Hodgdon's H777 powder since it is easier to clean up. I did not have any H777 with me so I decided to shoot the Goex over the screens. I anticipated poor performance but much to my delight it has worked out very well.

Range conditions were rough. The temperature was 90 F with high humidity so the real feel was over 100 f. I did not want to stick around too much as I felt the sweat pour out of me.

First load:

90 grains of Goex 3fg with a 240 grain .451 diameter XTP sabot bullet, CCI musket primer. Average velocity: 1417 feet per second.

Second load:

90 grains of Goex 3fg with a 300 grain .451 diameter poly tipped bullet, CCI musket primer. Average velocity: 1446 feet per second.

Third Load: 90 grains of Goex 3f with a 338 grain Powerbelt platinum bullet, CCI musket cap. Average velocity: 1348 feet per second.

I was pleasantly surprised. I expected velocities of these loads to be much lower but it appears that my specialty gun is in the realm of the 44 magnum class of handguns.

I heard that Swiss black powder is considered the best on the market now. I plan to get a couple pounds in the future to see how well it works with some hunting loads. The next step is to do more testing and find a good big game load. After that, hopefully, take some game using a unique handgun.

On Sunday I did some testing with the same gun but used H777 in place of the GOEX. What a huge difference in performance.

I uses the same gun, a M82 Kahnke with a 14" .50 caliber barrel and used a 90 grain volume charge of H777 in 3f granulation. The following is an average of shots taken with three different projectiles.

Load 1: 240 grain Thompson Center XTP magnum sabot. Average velocity was 1702 fps. I shook my head when I saw that but the average was correct. All of the shots were at or above 1700 feet per second. I thought it was a mistake but the numbers were a repeat performance.

Load 2: 338 grain Powerbelt platinum bullet. Average velocity was 1452 feet per second.

Load 3: 300 grain Thompson Center Polytip bullet. Average velocity was 1627 feet per second.

So I have some viable hunting loads with this gun using H777 in 3 F granulation.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Chronographed the MZ hunting pistol.

Post by 86er »

I love muzzleloader shooting and hunting and the handgun you have is a good one. Very portable and powerful/accurate. If you have a muzzleloader season and handguns are allowed it is a pleasure to pack in and out leaving you hands free to drag your big game animal!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Nice looking pistol! I find it interesting that it takes caps because most of these "modern" types are usually meant for 209 primers no?

Plenty powerful - that's for sure.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Cool! Glad you can indulge in the sport. I'm sure it was a hassle to get the permit and such but well worth it.

ETA - doh! NEW England... lol not Britian. Good reading comprehension huh? The red deer (hind) comment threw me off...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

About eight years ago I went to a hunting preserve in Maine. There was a special on red deer hinds( does) thus along with one Russian boar I shot a Red Deer hind with that gun. I was impressed with the gun. The hind went about twenty yards and dropped dead. The Russian boar went a tad further because they are tough buggers.

I do have a 16" 20 gauge smoothbore barrel for it. I shot a pheasant a few years back with it. Hopefully I will be able to hunt this year or early next. If all goes well I'd like to take it to Florida for a combination of a family trip and wild boar hunt.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

O.S.O.K. wrote:ETA - doh! NEW England... lol not Britian.
Sometimes I don't know which area is meaner to the free citizens thereof... :(
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Most impressed Bigbore, I remember reading about them years ago and thought to myself what a handy piece of kit one of them would be.

Keep up the good work :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I love muzzle load hunting, have no pistol though. Want a .32 cal for squirrels, next year's project.

It has reinforced the Big Slow bullet for killing deer for me. Last year I shot a buck right through front shoulder, (50cal), he went about 25 yards, he was horrifically wounded, but I never cut an ounce of ruined meat off of that shoulder. I was amazed, I figured I lost a front quarter.

I would love to shoot an Elk (and keep applying for muzzle loader in CO) and Moose.
I want a .54 cal, and hope to get them in close. But those are adventures for a different time, right now have my handsfull trying to create a .348 Marlin Modern Rifle!!! And not for close, but to 330 yds!!!

I am nothing if not a mountain of contradictions.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

In the future I want to get a 14" .36 caliber barrel for small game and varmints. I suspect that it would be a fun gun to hunt with.