Stars Earn Stripes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Stars Earn Stripes

Post by Griff »

Anyone else catch this new show. I don't know exactly how to descibe it... not really a "reality show", but sure was a huge dose of reality for a couple of the participants.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Not quite a "Longmire" or "Hell on Wheels", but... for the "pros" they selected... it's a nice introduction to both give them their due, and show what they can do. In a limited sense. As I recall, live fire also included live incoming rounds also... even in training.... as long as you did what you were told, it wasn't an issue, but the first time round were zinging overhead... it was a real incentive to keep my head down! The little charges that were to supposed to simulate incoming was kinda cheesy... but hey, we're talking Hollyweird here!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Stars Earn Stripes

Post by 20cows »

Somewhere between TopShot and Surviver?
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

To me it was exploitative pablum. But hey, I watched it so I guess I'm part of the problem! That out of the way :) , IMHO it was hardly an homage--as nearly all participants, the most guilty of which was Gen. Clarke--to our men and women laying their lives on the line daily for their country in reality, as they tried to portray it was. To me that's shameful and our real/current and past service men and women should be outraged. It was a another shameless way for them all to make lots of money. But, again, I did watch just to satisfy my curiosity like a lot of others I imagine, so I guess I'm guilty as well. Shame on me.
Btw, "live fire" - pig's butt...as suggested above, all incoming bullet strikes were placed charges and/or effects!...and explosions of course strategically-placed reduced charges combined with trick camera angles--just as in the movies. The helicopter, amphibious assault/insertion and other physical challenges, looked real enough--of course heavily edited--but it wouldn't surprise me to find out that the two participants near drowning was all part of a script to up the drama quotient...we couldn't have too easy a mission could we...or as my skepticism is really spiked now, I hate to say maybe even Desomnd Tutu's protest today was bought and paid for as well to increase publicity! Think I'm gonna be ill now just at the thought! Back to the supposed realism, they used the apparent fact that outgoing fire was indeed "real" - live - to suggest that incoming would be as well. Of course it wouldn't be, no way-no how liability-wise and no one would agree to anyway--would you?--but they simultaneously hyped the show's authenticity and covered their legal butts at the same time by being technically correct "just enough" to pass muster and insure or increase viewership. Worked!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well, since the "stars" were there to represent a military or LEO charity, and were awarded donations to said charities from the show in some proportion to the star's performance... I'll buy off on the concept. I'll watch at least a couple more times before I pass judgement, tho' I was entertained for a while. TV's entire purpose.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
1988rrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 1988rrc »

sure beats .....dancing with the stars
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sad to watch and the hostess was the former hostess of Dancing with the Stars... One of the servicemen was actually giving a tally of his kills. Todd Palin just waded through it, literally and matter-of-factly. However, we've already heard from our liberal, woosified friends how great the show is...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I read Chris Kyle's book earlier this year, so enjoy seeing him. If he's the one you're talking about Hobie, it would be hard for him not to mention it - or rather, have others not mention it, since he is known for now being the most prolific sniper in US military history. I haven't ever seen him brag about it, and reading his book, it is a lot more about the soliders, Marines and sailors he served with.

Watched the opening show. So-so, but again, interesting to see Chris Kyle...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I read Chris Kyle's book earlier this year, so enjoy seeing him. If he's the one you're talking about Hobie, it would be hard for him not to mention it - or rather, have others not mention it, since he is known for now being the most prolific sniper in US military history. I haven't ever seen him brag about it, and reading his book, it is a lot more about the soldiers, Marines and sailors he served with.

Watched the opening show. So-so, but again, interesting to see Chris Kyle...
I can see writing a book about it, and the thing didn't come off as "bragging". I just found it odd. Never read the book. The show was on again last night and we did not watch it but our little old lady friends did. Maybe that's good.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I was flipping around the channels last night and saw them doing the wrap up with the winner. He said the show was going to donate $20K to the Pat Tillman foundation as the charity he was representing. I would hope at least that part was real.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I haven't seen the show. I saw the promo's and came away with mixed feelings. I don't like Gen. whatshisname - libtard. He bugs me too much to get past and that was that....
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

TV is moving closer to combat, Gladiator style. People are already being hurt in these stupid reality shows. The main gag on that Funny Video show is being smacked in the balls, or falling down :roll: HaHa. I turned in my cable box last winter....haven't missed it yet. I can watch my shows on the network web sites, and I enjoy all the older shows on NetFlix. We need more Mayberry, and Less Jersey Shores.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I missed it last nite... driving too late due to rain and traffic in FL! What's up with that there "Sunshine State"? Would have like to see how they finished the competition off.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Supposedly, all of the stars are playing to earn money for military or first-responder charities. Worth watching just for that!