Lonesome Dove 1989

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Lonesome Dove 1989

Post by Aussie Chris »

Gday all.
Just finished watching this mini series. I enjoyed it.
Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones were fantastic in it.
I see there are further episodes. What did you blokes think of it? I was 4 when it first came out

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lonesome Dove 1989

Post by .45colt »

I'm Glad You enjoyed it. I'v seen it a dozen or more times and it will always be My favorite Western. seems like You can feel the dust and smell them steers. :)
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I watched it on TV and wasn't overly impressed then. After that came the sequels and prequels and so much hype and nonsense that I've lost interest in the whole thing. We have it on DVD and I won't watch it.

It's an OK western, but the cult like following it's developed baffles me.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

How could any "Levergunner" not like it....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka8ZDlz1 ... re=related
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Probably my favorite western, definitely in the top 3. Most of the sequels and prequels aren't that great, but they are watchable, The latest movie in the series, the title escapes me, is pretty decent.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Aussie Chris wrote:Gday all.
Just finished watching this mini series. I enjoyed it.
Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones were fantastic in it.
I see there are further episodes. What did you blokes think of it? I was 4 when it first came out

Chris

Chris,
I watched the "Return" episode last night and enjoyed it.

"I'd say you're a pretty young bloke if you were 4 in 1989". No excuses about your eyes being too old for iron sights are allowed for the next 35 yrs or so. :D

Gday to you too !

Gary
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Loved it :D :D :D
Going to have to watch it again now :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I think it's one of the best Westerns ever made, I have shown it to people who don't like Westerns and they have to admit it is a really good film, well acted and a great story. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Some really great parts and good characters. Some really bad parts and bad characters. I'll watch it when it's on but don't go out of my way.

The books on the other hand are down right painful. One of the few instances where a movie is better than the book.

As for the prequels and sequels...... I've tried to watch em and they never hold my interest.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I took the book with on a hunting trip and was rained and snowed in my travel trailer most of the week, so I read the entire book waiting for the weather to improve. Great story.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Lonesome Dove is one of the best westerns ever made...top ten for sure...
Return to Lonesome Dove is a good movie too...

Streets of Laredo and Comanche Moon are "B" rated movies....
but worth the watch....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I liked the greater depth of plot(s) than the average Western; lots of sub-plots and different characters and interactions - just like real life...!! It also captured the complexity, beauty, and sometimes just don't-make-no-sense tragedies that were hallmarks of that era and those people. I do think it took a particularly 'tough' breed to settle the country, and no doubt most were honorable, some were skunks, and a few varied depending on the day of the week.

...and that blonde chick Duvall kept poking was enough to keep my rapt attention, too. :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I've been a junkie since it's release. If the scene where they are leaving to go "gather" stock in Mexico doesn't make you want to grab your pistol and jump on your horse, I don't know what will. Duvall and Jones were superb. The book is really, really good.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I've been a junkie since it's release. If the scene where they are leaving to go "gather" stock in Mexico doesn't make you want to grab your pistol and jump on your horse, I don't know what will. Duvall and Jones were superb. The book is really, really good.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

I think this is the greatest scene out of the entire movie :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snxME3CDtvI

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Well Your just wrong Rusty, there's prolly 30 or 40 best scenes from this Great Show, :wink: .
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

One of the best, --- i love all the sequels/prequels too --

Why? i'm a somewhat young whippersnapper (not as young as the OP ) -- i grew up with Stallone and Schwarzenneger -

While i did see Pale Rider at the theatre, as well as The Dead Pool, by that time, Clint was aging and didnt really hold my interest as much as the other action films - (didnt see Unforgiven when it came out -- an egregious mistake)

bottom line -- while i dont identify with the actors really, they are more recognizable from my era and this helps hold my interest somewhat more than say, a Van Heflin or Montgomery Clift western from the 50's /60's --- the duke was an aquired taste too --- my young mind saw John Wayne playing essentially the same character from film to film , so i tuned out

Glad you picked up on Lonesome Dove-- its a classic now, and all its offspring series are pretty good too :)
----- Doug
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

One of my faves, I remember feeling pretty grumpy that it ended and didn't go on and on! Not the same but Broken Trail I think is a good yarn too, helped in large part by Robert Duvall again, in similar character, he is golden in/for just about any western.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Gday yerself, Aussie Chris.
Not to change the subject but I watched Crocodile Dundee the other night (haven't seen it in many years) and really enjoyed watching Paul Hogan. Does he still do tv or movies down under?

"Home n' hose and Bob's yer Uncle"
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I watched it 1 time, did not like it. In my list of 10 worst westerns. :(
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I liked Lonesome Dove. Kinda liked the spin-offs too.

My favorites in the western category run neck and neck fer The Searchers and Quigley Down Under.

Broken Trail is right up there.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

Anyone who didn't like lonesome dove is a city dweller and would not know a good western if it bit them in the butt.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

willygene wrote:Anyone who didn't like lonesome dove is a city dweller and would not know a good western if it bit them in the butt.
willygene,

There is no need to be abusive and insulting to others who do not share your opinion.
Besides somebodies got to live in the cities, and the westerns are about as realistic as Star Wars.

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I like any western with Robert Duvall in it. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

I'd read the book (twice) before I'd seen the movie. I was disappointed in the movie at first though I eventually came around and enjoy watching it every few years. Many of the characters were well cast - Gus, Call, Pea Eye, Deets, Dish, Lorena, Roscoe, Janey, Carla, Lippy, Elmira, Bol, Blue Duck's gang - and now when I read the book their faces go with the characters. Jake and Blue Duck could have been better cast in my opinion.

I read the prequels Deadman's Walk and Comanche Moon too. Excellent books though they fell short of Lonesome Dove. Couldn't make it through Streets of Laredo cuz I just couldn't take no more killin' off my favorite characters. McMurtry is a great writer but he sure is hard on even the main characters. Couldn't quite believe that Pea Eye ended up with Lorena either...

Well worth reading. The movie's better than most westerns. It's been a few years. I may have dust off the old book and read it again.
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

I liked it also. Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall were perfectly cast for it - they didn't have to fake the accent.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Best western of all time! The other parts... not so much; Capt. Call needed the foil of Capt. McCrae.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

You have to admit that Jones and Duvall had the support of Scott(Pea Eye), Glover and Shroeder who were very well cast and did a great job making you believe. In their own way, they made the movie what it is as much as Call and Gus. That, the somewhat accurate guns, tack, accents, locations etc all combined to make the movie what it was. Like most stories that are powerful, it is made up of alot of smaller stories which are powerful and compelling to watch in themselves. It's like The Godfather in that way and why it is fun to watch again and again, even if you don't catch the whole thing.
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

C.Cash I'd agree except for the Schroder casting as Newt. Coulda done better. I was very disappointed that McMurtry killled him off before the start of Streets of Laredo. A Call and Son story line might have been an interesting avenue to explore. Instead McMurtry decided the Hell Bitch would kill him. McMurtry is brilliant but he is also Dr. Evil. Who couldn't like Gus? I think even Call admired his ability to enjoy life. Sure he was a slacker but if'n the chips were on the table there ain't many others you'd rather have at your side.

I don't git why McMurtry figured he could off THE most interesting character he'd ever created and be able to make anything near as good subsequently. If'n he was plannin' to continue, you don't kill Gus. Of course he did later write Bareback Mountain... and wondered why it weren't as popular... Brilliant but way out of the main stream. He did manage a masterpiece. Sadly the rest of his stuff take some effort to git through.
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Yeah, it felt too convenient for McMurtry to kill off Newt in the beginning of The Streets of Laredo. And Lorena marrying Pea Eye?? The whole Call/Newt relationship is torturous to watch.
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

Whit Spurzon wrote:C.CashI don't git why McMurtry figured he could off THE most interesting character he'd ever created and be able to make anything near as good subsequently. If'n he was plannin' to continue, you don't kill Gus. Of course he did later write Bareback Mountain... and wondered why it weren't as popular... Brilliant but way out of the main stream. He did manage a masterpiece. Sadly the rest of his stuff take some effort to git through.
No, McMurtry didn't write "Brokeback Mountain". That was originally a short story by Annie Proulx, the same woman who wrote "The Shipping News."

But back on topic, I really enjoyed the book "Lonesome Dove." Call and Gus--I'm not sure how anyone couldn't like watching the two of them drive all those cattle to Montana.... But to each his own. It's just a story, after all.

I also read the first two of the series and didn't like them as much as "Lonesome Dove". Couldn't get into the "Streets of Laredo".

I thought the miniseries "Lonesome Dove" was pretty darn good, especially considering the scope of the production. Anytime a movie has horses and other large animals, I'm generally impressed. Thought the actors did a believable job and most of the gear and guns seemed right to me.... Of course, seems right to what I think it should have been like.

Anyone remember that scene where Call rides the Hell Bitch right into the army scout's horse and then proceeds to beat the living stuffing out of the army scout....? I always liked how Tommy Lee Jones delivered those lines to the shocked townspeople, who just watched him nearly beat a man to death: "I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it."

Maybe I'm sick but I can't watch that scene without laughing out loud.

Rob
NRA
natedontgo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by natedontgo »

Hard for me not to like a couple guys who don't rent pigs.... Nate
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

One reason Lonesome Dove is such a good story is that it's basically TRUE.. It is a heavily-plagarized recounting of the diaries and journals of early Texas cattle barons, Goodnight and Loving.. Even Call's inscription on Deets's grave marker was lifted, virtually verbatim, from Goodnight's words on the marker of his own black tracker and cowhand..
McMurtry did add other peripheral characters and filled up the time with some very good dialog, but the basic tale was lifted, wholesale, from other sources.. His other books missed the mark, because he didn't rely on any particular historical record..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Buck's right about McMurtry lifting Charles Goodnight's story for much of what's great about Lonesome Dove. Didn't stop me from thoroughly enjoying it, even with a couple of the historical slips. Like someone else said, any movie which focuses so much on horses, and lets the men be men, well I'm gonna be partial to it right off the bat.

I really liked Broken Trail too. Didn't think I would at first, but I ended up really enjoying it.

So, if I'm willing to find a copy of Lonesome Dove - the book - to read, do I need to read the "prequels" mentioned earlier ? Recommended ? - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Don't get me wrong... I still think Lonesome Dove is one of the best Westerns ever filmed. A big part of its appeal, for me, is its attention to period details. Director Simon Wincer and his cast and crew bring to life a well-told story, taking viewers back in time and place.. The biggest stamp of approval comes from Real Cowboys, past and present.. That says a lot!
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Quite a discussion this youngin has started here! :)

Unclebuck, Mr Hogan hasnt been here for a while.
He had some troubles with our tax department and told
em in his hilariously funny was to pi$$ off.

I will have to watch the sequals you are all on about.

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

I felt it was probably 2 hours to long and they just filled that time with rubbish, having said that I think a lot of it was great.
Just loved the scene when they were about to leave town and the army scout is trying to take the young fella's horse and Capt Woodrow F Call rides down and knocks him of his horse and then beats the stuff out of him just love that. Could watch that a zillion times.
And the scene where they have caught the outlaws, and Capt Woodrow F Call rides away and the leader of the outlaws says where is he going, and Capt Augustus McCrea says to find a tree to hang ya, just love that one to.
But over all to drawn out for me, probably will never watch it again.
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

Forgot to say just love the way Tommy Lee Jones sits a horse, I think horses are his other life when he is not making a movie.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

If you liked Tommy Lee Jones in "Lonesome Dove", then you'll love him in "Good Ol' Boys". His directorial debut. Little promoted, and sparesly distributed film about a cowboy in the early age of the automobile. I believe it was only released on VHS, never made the transition to DVD... much the pity. If you still have a VHS player, take the trouble to find it... I'll bet you won't be disappointed. Smaller in scope than Lonesome Dove, but that just allows you to get to know the one character all that much better. Reminded me on this one cowboy, workin' as such into his 60's, back when I was a youngster, and he was teachin' me... I won't say the man was onery... but there weren't no give in him.

And yes Buck, Goodnight and Loving tale, told with much added color... as I suspect the real story about them is.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
aussie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by aussie »

Just finished watching the Lonesome Dove Anthology... Dead Mans Walk followed by Comanche Moon followed by Lonesome Dove followed by Return to Lonesome Dove finishing with Streets of Laredo. Lonesome Dove is still the pick.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Haven`t watched it in over ten years and only had it on a VHS that i recorded and can`t find that.
So just ordered it on DVD and can`t wait to watch it again.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

A few years back, we were vacationing in a cabin near the Great Smoky Mountains and got snowed in. After most of the day spent playing with the kids outside in the snow, we settled in by the fire and watched Lonesome Dove from start to finish. The kids had never seen it and were thoroughly engrossed in the story. That is one of my favorite memories and everytime I hear or see something about Lonesome Dove; it takes me back to that day. :)
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer