Weekend in the woods.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Weekend in the woods.

Post by WCF3030 »

Went for an overnight get away with my son this weekend. We decided on a very rustic approach with our satchels with first aid kit and fire-starting material and a bed roll with a canteen cup, potatoes, sausage, jerky, canned pears, poncho liner, wool blanket, string, hatchet and tarp.
Had the wife drop us off and we walked in a mile to a little knoll in a nice 40 year old oak grove full of small game, turkeys, owls and deer. Set-up camp with a lean-to and fire wall in preparation for the 35 degree night ahead. Gathered the fire wood and made a bow and arrows from a beech blow down, but we were unable to connect with a partridge or tree rat.
Also took along the XD and new Kershaw 1-ton. For $20 this is a very nice knife that holds a great edge and performed well on fire sticks and general camp chores. Bought a matching one for my 15 year old daughter as well for the upcoming deer season.
Most importantly I had an incredible time with my 8 year-old son. He completely gathered for and started his first camp fire from start to finish using our homemade wax fire starters. He showed incredible maturity with his pocketknife and has earned the privilege of graduating to a larger one. Also put the friskers hatchet to use, he desperately wants one but not just yet.
He can go into detail on the importance of layering your clothes and different items to find and use to build a shelter, fire and fire reflector wall.
At night we listened to owls and deer moving through at 2 a.m. blowing and stomping 10 feet from the shelter. A porcupine visited the camp and had it been earlier we would have made meal out of him but instead we feed him some left over potatoes and had him close enough to touch.
The reflector wall worked so well we spent half of the night in our tee-shirts without any blankets, while using a minimum amount of fire wood.
The coolest part was after the deer had left and the owls started up again he told me this was the best time he had ever had and asked when we were going to do this again. There is nothing like the feeling of passing on this outdoor life style to the next generation.

Last edited by WCF3030 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Weekend in the woods.

Post by piller »

Very cool. I like Kershaw knives, too. I have never had a bad one, and had 3 good ones so far. I am partial to their change blade knives where you have 1 handle and several blades fit it. The woodcraft you are teaching is a good thing. You never know when it will come in handy. The Springfield XD series seems very good, PillHer has one. Sounds as if you had a great time, and again, very cool.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Uber 8)

Not done it for years.

Hat is off to you gents.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

piller wrote:Very cool. I like Kershaw knives, too. I have never had a bad one, and had 3 good ones so far. I am partial to their change blade knives where you have 1 handle and several blades fit it. The woodcraft you are teaching is a good thing. You never know when it will come in handy. The Springfield XD series seems very good, PillHer has one. Sounds as if you had a great time, and again, very cool.
Piller,
I bought two of the titanium Kershaw knives off from eBay back when you could find good deals. I gave one to my father and lost the other while dual sporting.
I have enjoyed my XD 9mm now for 3 years and 4000+ rounds. I could have just as easily gone with a Glock but I liked the trigger better on this one. Having said that I may get the Glock 20 10mm with the increase of Black bear in our hunting areas, but for now the XD with a combination of Hornady hollow points and fmj serves me well.

WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Nath wrote:Uber 8)

Not done it for years.

Hat is off to you gents.

N.
I seemed to remember pics of you in some kind of earthen shealter enjoying the good life!

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Very cool. :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

WCF3030 wrote:

Not done it for years.

Hat is off to you gents.

N.
I seemed to remember pics of you in some kind of earthen shealter enjoying the good life!
This one,,,,

N :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very cool, experiences that go on forever. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Neat :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

that's the one!!!
Nath wrote:
WCF3030 wrote:

Not done it for years.

Hat is off to you gents.

N.
This one,,,,

N :)

Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

Looks like a lot of fun and is something you son will remember forver.

Good job.

Chris
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

That's a great experience for both of you. Enjoy it because kids don't stay kids for long.