Quick Help !! Police Service Six,Arg High Power,S&W DA45

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Quick Help !! Police Service Six,Arg High Power,S&W DA45

Post by pwl44m »

Tell Me about these pistols and what they might be worth.
1, Ruger Police Service Six 357. Nice revolver, a little use but not bad,actually looks pretty good. Blue bout 95% because of minor scratches. No blue missing. 4 in barrel.
2, Argentine High Power 9mm- 10 rd mag. Looks new with box. ordered in 1991.
3, S&W 1917 DA 45. Nice looking Revolver for its age. Blue/Parkerize prolly 98%. Has Lanyard ring on butt. Didn't measure barrel but prolly 5 in. No moon clips.
My Guy has these 3 Pistols. He wants Me to take them but hasn't given Me a Price. I'm not comfy with that,I like to know How Much. He says He was offered $800 for the 3. He thinks the 45 is worth $1300- I Don't, but I'm not saying it isn't. Thats why I'm here, This Forum comprises the Smartest Cowboys on Planet Earth. I did some quick scans on GB but You know how that goes. Anyhow any input would be greatly appreciated. I go back in tomorrow to put the Kahr PM9 in jail.
Thanks in advance :arrow: Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
1894c

Re: Quick Help !! Police Service Six,Arg High Power,S&W DA45

Post by 1894c »

S&W 1917 DA 45.-- gunbroker.com has them between $680.00 to $1100.00+

Ruger ServiceSix-- $300 to 350.00 (what I would pay)

Argentine High Power 9mm-- $350 to $425.00

just my lousy opinion--others more in the know will follow...actually this is case for Hobie... :)
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx 336, that is about what I was thinking but He knows that I like to try to make a buck. I really have no interest in the 45 except strictly to try and sell. We will see what he has to say tomorrow.
Perry
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Check the "completed" auctions and you'll see if or what they're actually selling for.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

How do I check cmpleted auctions.
Perry
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

RE, S&W M1917:

"Smith & Wesson produced approximately 169,595 U.S. Army Model 1917 Revolvers between 1917 and 1919. All revolvers were polish blue with 5.5 inch barrels and chambered to shoot the .45 ACP round. Early production revolvers had the ordnance acceptance mark of GHS (Gilbert H. Stewart) which was replaced with the ordnance bomb pictured below around April of 1918. The final inspection mark of Eagle/S# started to appear around June 1918, before that date there was not one present on the rear trigger guard web (see inspectors mark image below).

"S&W M1917 revolvers in this serial number range were shipped to the American Expeditionary Forces at Bush Terminal. Also to be found on the right side of this example is the mark of the Ordnance Office “OO” as they served as guard guns in the 1930s.

"The Original finish on the S&W M1917 was bright polish blue with case hardened hammer and trigger, they were configured to use the .45 ACP ammo with a moon clip (holds 3 bullets, also allows for extraction).

"The inspectors mark of Col. Gilbert H. Stewart (GHS) can be found on the left side of the receiver until April, 1918 and then a Ordnance insignia (bomb) until end of production.

"The serial number can be found on the butt, back of cylinder, underside of barrel, inside right grip, underside of extractor, inside of crane.

" 'United States Property' mark is located on the bottom of the barrel.

"Barrel is tapered. Unlike the M1909 barrel."
(Emphasis added: RCN)

Read all 'bout it, inc. pictures:
http://coolgunsite.com/pistols/swm1917_ ... 143829.htm

Parkerization indicates a re-build for WW II service or post WW II arsenal refurbishng.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

If the Argentine Hi-Power is an actual "FN" (Belgian) in good condition, it could easily be worth $500-700 depending on age and condition. If not, less, but still a good gun.

-Six series Rugers show up regularly in the $275-350 range depending on condition, they've been out of production for quite a while but they're excellent guns.

The S&W will probably run in the $600-700 range depending on the shape.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx Ray, in thinking back a couple hours the finish is Brite Blue and very good on this Gun. He handled it with a rag and had Me do the same. I went to the site U referred and noticed and to the best of My recollection the caliber is stamped on the top of the barrel and not on the side as shown on the example. Also the ser #s didn't match on the butt and the cylinder arm. This might just be typical of Ordinance reworks if in fact that is what it is.
Perry

Noticed another post by MrMurphy. seems like it did say FN on it and like I said it was as new with box.
On the 45 I will need to know if Ser #s are supposed to match to have any collector value.
The Ruger ! - just another Revolver I guess.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

If it's Belgian, it should say "FN" and/or Fabrique Nationale, made in Belgium.

If so, NIB the gun's worth over $500 easily. Bought an Israeli police contract FN Hi-Power from the 80s, never fired for $500 and that was a steal, most go for more.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

There are two types of the Argentinian High Power versions. And it confuses a lot of people.

There was a relatively small lot of Fabrique Nationale FN pistols imported into the country. They command a premium, as stated above.

Argies decided to make a similar version, it is marked FM and is an exact copy. Most are well made but not worth the same money.

For what it's worth, I've got one of the FN's, box and matching serial numbered magazines. It's a good gun but typical of the HP's, it chews the dickens out of my hand from the hammer bite. Because it's an FN I haven't swapped out the hammer.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"On the 45 I will need to know if Ser #s are supposed to match to have any collector value."
--pwl44m

Condition as well as matching parts greatly effect collector's value and price....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

1, Ruger Police Service Six 357. Nice revolver, a little use but not bad,actually looks pretty good. Blue bout 95% because of minor scratches. No blue missing. 4 in barrel. We are actually selling these for about $300-350 when they come into the shop.
2, Argentine High Power 9mm- 10 rd mag. Looks new with box. ordered in 1991. Last one we sold in the shop was $400.
3, S&W 1917 DA 45. Nice looking Revolver for its age. Blue/Parkerize prolly 98%. Has Lanyard ring on butt. Didn't measure barrel but prolly 5 in. No moon clips. These seem to move all over the place based on exposure to those in "need". I've seen them go for $900-1650. That's a big range but condition is critical with these. Can't be refinished, must be all there, etc for the top price. Those missing lanyard rings, markings messed with, reblue or "touched up" drives the price right down to reasonable.

The Service Six is a no brainer for the right price. The fixed sights turn some off but they are great if for nothing else than to set beside the bed. I have passed on several of the Argentine HPs with the cast frames. With patience one can find a late model Browning for about the same price. I see that it might be Belgian made. Price rises as noted. One doesn't see enough of those to make a price estimate! I can't reiterate enough that condition is everything with the 1917. Top prices for the pristine examples only. People tend to over estimate condition. I can't tell you how many guns I've been told were 100% were, because of the reblue, actually 0%. Nice, but not collectible prices. Clips are easy to get. I went back and see that you have effectively changed the description of the gun from parkerized to blue... I get this all the time. This is why customers have to bring the gun in for us to see to get an estimate or appraisal.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thanks Guys, You have helped imensely. I am going to let Him price them and if I don't like it I can walk. I don't have to have them, He is getting old and trying to clear some Personal inventory. He also has an as new in box S&W 500 but He wants $900 for it. Outa My league for sure.
Thx again- Perry
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Well these Guns aint gonna happen, not with Me anyhow. A Lady brought these Guns in to trade. She had a letter from someone that said the 1917 was worth $1295. She priced the other 2 pretty high also. The High Power at $750 and the Service Six at $495. I told the Owner of the store that was rediculous and He thinks they are worth it. I told Him to put them in the Display case and see how long they sit there. I told Him I had absolutely No interest at that price. So He says I can have all 3 for $1500, "Bull". I don't know enough about the 45 to put a good price on it.
Perry
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

pwl44m wrote:Well these Guns aint gonna happen, not with Me anyhow. A Lady brought these Guns in to trade. She had a letter from someone that said the 1917 was worth $1295. She priced the other 2 pretty high also. The High Power at $750 and the Service Six at $495. I told the Owner of the store that was rediculous and He thinks they are worth it. I told Him to put them in the Display case and see how long they sit there. I told Him I had absolutely No interest at that price. So He says I can have all 3 for $1500, "Bull". I don't know enough about the 45 to put a good price on it.
Perry

I dont know a lot about the antiques, but $495 for the Service Six is about what i would expect to pay for a nice 586 or 686 Smith --- that tells me all i need to know about the seller (looks like it did to you also )
----- Doug
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Some people never learn how to explain simple economics to others. A letter or other "appraisal" is often cited by sellers as justification for their price. Some can be convinced that you need to make some money and there are always some who think that offering anything less than full retail is indicative of bad parentage...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

If that Smith and Wesson has been parkerized in whole or in part, it is not the original finish and the value will be cut in half or less. It is now just a shooter.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Forgive Me for misleading information. The 1917 is all Blue and as far as can ascertain it is the original finish. It was My feeble mind remembering from the time I saw the Gun and My post that things got misreprsented. He acted like He really didn't want Me handling the thing too much. I like to fondle them to the point of rubbing the blue off to get a clear picture of it.
As far as Ser#s matching, He said "they didn't in those old Guns" I am of a different school in that opine.
Thank You Guys ever so much In quick responses, thats what I needed to work with the next day.
At this point the only one I would be remotely interested in would be the High Power but not for $750, more like $350 for Me.
Oh ! I did put the Kahr PM9 in jail yesterday, will post pics when I bring it Home.
Gratefully - Perry