Loading DEWC Bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Loading DEWC Bullets

Post by dennie »

I recently received about 200 DEWC lead .38 cal. bullets. These were part of a yard sale purchase. These were sold by Shamrock Shooter's Supply here in Ohio. To get some loading info I tried both phone numbers on the box but they are both inoperative. The bullets are .555-.560" in length. The bullets look almost identical on either end with a crimp groove that measures .465" from each end. There are 2 grease grooves in the middle.
So, now my question. When using the crimp groove as a reference these bullets would be seated very deep in .38spl cases. Much more than any other bullets that I have used. Has anyone used similar bullets, and what would be a good starting OAL, and a good powder for these? I know, that is 3 questions, but I might have more. :)
Thanks guys.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Loading DEWC Bullets

Post by pwl44m »

Sounds like plain ol Wadcutters,seat all the way in.

Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

Wadcutters seat deep, almost flush with the case mouth.
What powders do you have on hand? With some of the faster powders you can load 2 thousand 38 Specials from a 1 pound can.
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Shoulda mentioned, I have W231, Bullseye, Universal, Unique, Trail Boss, a couple others.
dennie
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Those are just regular old double ended wad cutters. DEWC. You load them so you can crimp them in the crimp grove. That leaves a bit of the bullet above the case mouth.

231 and Bullseye are excellent for target loads using those bullets. For data consult your local reloading manual.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Yep, wadcutters are seated deep. I think I may have that same mold; double ended, crimp groove, two lube grooves. I normally seat the bullet to the lube groove, but sometimes I'll seat flush and taper crimp. Seating flush was needed for the S&W Model 52, a simi-auto target pistol in 38 Special. BTW, my house gun is loaded with 150 gr. DEWC over a stout load of W231, nice wide meplat for good tissue distruction/shock and no over-penetration...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Years ago that was THE target bullet pushed by 3 point something grains of Bullseye. The "something" is up to you within limits. There was a lot of stories going around years ago too, about "detonation" thought be caused by too little Bullseye.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

J Miller wrote:Those are just regular old double ended wad cutters. DEWC. You load them so you can crimp them in the crimp grove. That leaves a bit of the bullet above the case mouth.

231 and Bullseye are excellent for target loads using those bullets. For data consult your local reloading manual.

Joe
Do not seat those flush. Ask me how I know. Hint: 1000+fps from a 2" barrel :shock:
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I have two different types of 148gr LWC bullets; older Speers that are designed to be seated flush and Mid-Kansas bullets that are designed to leave some above the case mouth. I would have to measure to be sure how much, but they do have a crimp groove for proper seating depth. The Speers that I have do not have a crimp groove.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

You can solve your dilemma real easy--throw 'em in the pot and recast 'em.
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

I loaded about 150 rounds of 158gr plated HPs using 3.5 Bullseye. These shoot fine in my 1956 Ruger BH, and the New Vaquero. However, this wad cutter seats much deeper in the case and I wondered about additional pressures. Maybe try 3.0 Bullseye just for kicks. I am sure the Rugers will not care, the S&W M37 and Taurus M85 may not
like it. Doubt I would ever try them in the snubbies anyways.
dennie
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

J Miller wrote:231 and Bullseye are excellent for target loads using those bullets. For data consult your local reloading manual.
Joe
Excellent advise :wink:
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Twodot wrote:
J Miller wrote:231 and Bullseye are excellent for target loads using those bullets. For data consult your local reloading manual.
Joe
Excellent advise :wink:
Definately. :P
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

OK, I loaded up a few of the DEWC bullets today. I started with 3.0 BE, then 3.2, then 2.8gr. I crimped them in the crimp groove. Tried them in my BH and New Vaquero. All three loads shot good in both guns. Maybe just me, but all the loads would string vertical in the BH, but shoot in a tight circle in the NV. The vertical stringing was almost straight up and down. I had about 130 bullets left, so loaded them up with the 3.0 gr BE. I do not target shoot, 'cept here at home, so they will be for pests or maybe small game. Seems like a nice little load. When these are gone I will just go back to my 158gr LSWCs. The LSWCs do all I need to do in .38spl, and most everything in .357.
It is fun to play tho. :)
dennie