Another wild life morning at the Wishing Wyoming Ranch

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Another wild life morning at the Wishing Wyoming Ranch

Post by ollogger »

I was really trying to stay alseep this am.. tucked in my pillow top bed with Dances with Wolves and Cayenne, Duma, Chui and Pondoro when I heard Ollogger stumbling around the kitchen trying to get his coffee going, I yelled what the heck ya doing up so early? Reply was, thought I heard my phone ringing and was mad at whoever was waking me up this early.
Before I could reply he yelled get up.. look out the window.. Elk in the yard!
Struggling to get out of the lock hold on me by Dances, Cayenne and the rest of the zoo I pulled up the shade to see two young bull elk making their confused way through the pasture.
My two mares and gelding were running around at the invasion on their pastures and across the driveway where my stud pastures.. he was running around like a chicken being chased by a fox... GOOD GRIEF!!! The bulls were grand and we watched the two young bulls.. a nice 5X5 and a younger one that was a 4 point make their way toward my electric fence that seperates my stallion pasture from the mares. I am saying to Ollogger.. there goes my fence.. I am in trouble now.. I will be heading out to fix fence I know it... and as we watched.. the elk assessed the situation and gathered themselves so handsomely and jumped that fence like it was not even there. Shocked at their grace... and beauty, they moved up the hill to the fence line behind us.
They stood on the hill where 5 horses on that section were running confused by these odd looking creatures. Musty smell and tall graceful strides of their walk left a question mark on the horses faces.... We laughed at the sight.
They appoached our next fence line and again jumped it with out a wiggle on the fence line.
they were standing around and you could almost tell they were wondering what to do.
The older bull leading the direction headed west toward the tree line of the Laramie river.
Yet another fence to cross, this one had about 50 breeding bulls in it, most laying down chewing their cud with out a worry in the world. the elk jumped this taller fence without effort and the bulls just lay watching with out concern.
The elk headed down toward the treed river banks. What a site... it was about 6:30am and too dark for pictures. But right outside the windows, making such a wake up call worth it.
Ollogger and I talked about my lion experience a couple weeks ago, Our bear experience last year... the coon in the barn all summer, the wolves and coyotes that visit regular when I am out doing chores at 4am, and I think we are now completely satisfied with saying we now have experienced the total wild life experience right in our acres without having to drive anywhere to see.

Ms. Boots
Wheatand Wyoming
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Another wild life morning at the Wishing Wyoming Ranch

Post by earlmck »

Ms. Boots wrote:Ollogger and I talked about my lion experience a couple weeks ago
Did I miss something? What was this lion experience?

Hey, sounds like you had quite a fine morning wake-up!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Wonderful. Sounds like y'all got a little piece of heaven there!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

slimster wrote:Wonderful. Sounds like y'all got a little piece of heaven there!
Yep. Like lots of other more 'semi-rural' types, I'll always wish I'd have headed 'out' further when I was young enough to put down new roots. Pretty much stuck where I am at this point, good or bad times regardless.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

earlmck wrote:
Ms. Boots wrote:Ollogger and I talked about my lion experience a couple weeks ago
Did I miss something? What was this lion experience?

Hey, sounds like you had quite a fine morning wake-up!

Well about three weeks ago I headed out to do chores as usual 4am.
It was a really dark morning...
There were no coon in the barn eating on the corn I leave them so I knew something else was around.
After grain, I headed up the 40, about half way up there is a gate I open to let the horses out for day pasture.
The dogs stayed at the barn which they never do unless they know something I do not.
So I was expecting Coyoes or a wolf... I untethered the 45 on my hip and started up the fence line to the gate with the horses right on my shoulder.
About half way up a good sized Jack Rabbit cut the ground in front of me... wide open running for its life, I knew right away I had interupted someones breakfast.
I turned my head to the east, the direction of which the bunny had come and surnuff, there was a big ole lion running along the east fence. Just yards away from me.
The horses had stopped...I turned my head light up on hight..(coal miner light on my forehead, I always wear while doing chores in the dark) The light picked up a good sized handsome cat stretched out in a run. I stopped and waited.. the rabbit long gone, wondering if the cat was going to cross over and continue on this breakfast run or would it stop and take it out on me for ruining its breakfast.
Hand on 45, I had stopped and was waiting to see if it ran across my path or if it would stop near me.
I turned my head back to the lions area and it was just gone. I made it to the gate and opened.
The horses still at the half way point waited on me. When I got down back to them they turned and followed me back to the barn. The dogs sat there looking guilty but safe.
I Have always wondered when the time would be I would run into a lion. Done been surrounded by Coyotes and that was an experience. Cayenne my red heeler stayed at my side during this as I shot into the air, spooking them off. But a lion.. she was not ready to take that scent on....dont blame her.
:o
I am taking the pickup truck up to get the gate these days. This last full moon was like a huge night light this past week and really helped me out. But I load up Cayenne and Dances with Wolves and we just truck on up and get the gate this way now. They love the ride and I love the protection of the truck. The fires and droughts are bringing many more critters down off the mountains... Its ok... I will be ready for them.
:?
Ms Boots
Wheatland Wyoming
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Great stories on both counts. You should post more often.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Great stories! I really enjoyed them.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I now know to call ya MR. and MRS Grizzly Adams :shock: 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Good stories, you seem to be equipped to handle such encounters... stay alert.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Ms. Boots wrote:The horses still at the half way point waited on me. When I got down back to them they turned and followed me back to the barn.
Wow! Those are some calm horses you have there, Ms. Boots. The old ranch ponies I grew up with would have been waiting for me, all right -- somewhere south of Cheyenne, maybe. Those kitties are known to have a high appreciation for fine horse flesh, and the horses are born knowing it.

Thanks for the interesting stories out of the Wishing Wyoming Ranch!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

RustyJr wrote:Great stories on both counts. You should post more often.

RustyJr
Thankyou very much, I have registered and once approved I hope to do some more posting.
Thanks for taking the time to read them, My life seems very much like a story!

Ms Boots
Wheatland Wyoming
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

earlmck wrote:
Ms. Boots wrote:The horses still at the half way point waited on me. When I got down back to them they turned and followed me back to the barn.
Wow! Those are some calm horses you have there, Ms. Boots. The old ranch ponies I grew up with would have been waiting for me, all right -- somewhere south of Cheyenne, maybe. Those kitties are known to have a high appreciation for fine horse flesh, and the horses are born knowing it.

Thanks for the interesting stories out of the Wishing Wyoming Ranch!
I was shocked that the horses just stayed half way on the fence line and watched me continue up. Waiting for me, then following me back to the barn. They clearly could see a whole lot more than I could and if I maybe could have seen what they were seeing I might have headed right back down and took the truck up which I do now! They way the acted clearly told me that lions have been around a few times more than I even know. I have run into lions on my way to work a few times on the road and my neighbor shot one out of his tree in his front yard treed by his dog. He ran into town and bought a tag and had it mounted. Big lion. Dog kept him in the tree.. the tree was next to the porch at their house. Yep.... got some dang good ponies. Been raising horses for over 20 years and now have not had colts for 4 years due to the economy. Some folks up the mountian have a hard time keeping foals. Due to lions.
Thanks for reading and enjoying my posts.
Ms Boots
Wheatland Wyoming
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Griff wrote:Good stories, you seem to be equipped to handle such encounters... stay alert.
LOL, alert is putting it mildly, Some mornings the coyotes sit out the door and yap til I wanna run out like a wild woman and shoot up the dark!
Its like they KNOW i am coming out and have the time down pat.
I am geared up for war if need be but not always in the mood to enjoy it.
Some mornings if the job were not calling I would rather pull the sheets over my head and wait til light hits the earth. UGH

Ms Boots
Wheatland Wyoming
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Pitchy wrote:I now know to call ya MR. and MRS Grizzly Adams :shock: 8)
Hi Ya Pitchy, Its a ZOO out there..... :? These critters keep me guessing.. Its stand on the porch and spot light the area before heading down the stairs. Watch the dogs cuz they know whats out there.
When Dances with Wolves wont leave the porch the 45 is untethered, turn on my headlights and walk to the barn, stick head in the barn shinning my light either side of the door for rattlers... last year was a nightmare with rattlers in the barn. Reach up with right hand and hit the light in the barn. Step in and keep shinning with my headlights all over the barn including the rafters. Head toward the feed tubs and shine all around them where snakes like to lay this time of year passing through to where ever they den for winter.
Feed the wild cats, Two drop off turned ferral cats that hang around. Dish out the grain to horses.. carry feed tub across the horse shoe drive... STOP and answer a Coyote howling down by the river..
I can carry out a pretty good howl backatch ya... then continue on to stallion pasture.. check out that shed for snakes.. then back to the pick up which is running now with lights on high beam.. load up the dogs and drive up to the gate...dogs wont leave the seat of the truck so with pistol in hand open gate and jump back in truck, drive back to barn and unload dogs and open barn for horses to head up the fence line by them selves.
Get Olloggers breakfast and pack his lunch.. feed indoor cats and dogs... get my face on and head to Work.... got this down pat EH? LOL :D
Ms Boots Mrs Griz to you
Wheatland Wyoming
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

M. M. Wright wrote:Great stories! I really enjoyed them.
:P Thankyou kind sir!
Ms Boots
Wheatland Wyoming