Bereft of a firearm heritage

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Bereft of a firearm heritage

Post by Panzercat »

So I'm putting myself out here to be ridiculed to some degree, but for the time I've been here I've seen the forum stands up to it's high-class tag line, unlike a few I could mention. With that in mind, I trust you all enough to ask this question.

Most of my family hails from back east. Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, etc. I can trace firearms through my family as far forward as my great grandfather, but that's pretty much where the tradition to keep and bare arms seems to end; neither passing on to my grandfather or father, subsequently leaving me bereft of the experience. Prior to present day, my meager experience with any sort of firearm was as a child at a summer camp plinking cans with a .22 and then later on in life in the Navy, where budget cuts forced us to qualify on 1911 .22's instead of the full frame .45s (the clinton years). Needless to say, I got just enough time in to ensure my paper silhouette would bleed to death from all the nicks I gave it before boot camp called it good and sent me on my way.

So flash forward to the more or less present day. It's always rubbed me that I lacked a lot of the basic life skills growing up, such as firearms, hunting, etc and have taken it upon myself to re-aquire them. Once I moved out here to AZ, I did so, especially now that I was married. I wanted to meet a minimum requirement of self defense and preservation and AZ fortunately makes that easy to do. SO I bought my first firearm a ways back- a mossy 500 -and have been trading through firearms ever since to see what i like and don't like.

I love leverguns ;)

So these days I have a kid. Just going on 9mo, he'll grow up knowing what firearms are beyond 'they're dangerous' and 'don't touch'. It's progress, but not good enough. I would like to pass those basic skills down to my kid as well an that includes hunting, something I've never actually had the opportunity to do given its complete absence in my own upbringing. That, and I imagine an apartment isn't exactly conducive to doing so anyway.

So the point to all this... Is anybody aware of some association one can join or be apart of to get a good foundation for these skills? Mainly because going out and shooting something willi-nilly just based on what I read over the internet seems like a very bad idea and I imagine it's more fun with friends anyway.

Any suggestions or insight would be appreciate. Thanks guys.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
rat patrol
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Bereft of a firearm heritage

Post by rat patrol »

There are many training centers out your way or get involved in the NRA or a CMP program.
US Army 1989- 2001
formerly with F/51st INF LRSC
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Also find friends YOU make who are experienced shooters and once you get a feel for their safety mindset, their skill level, and their overall ethics, arrange field time with the three of you.

Paintball and such can also be 'fun' for kids, but I always felt the REAL guns come first, so they learn the respect and safety issues, then later they can dabble in play-toy ones.

Mostly just keep them in .22's for years and years and tens if not hundreds of thousands of rounds, so they get good skills and good habits. Then bring in the loudenboomers.

My suppressed .22 LR levergun is STILL the most popular "new kid shooter" gun, since it is quiet, no recoil, compact and muzzle light (the integrally suppressed barrel is incredibly light-weight vs. the regular barrel). All this makes it in my opinion way better for a very young or petite shooter vs. the beautiful and classic 39a (which IS a shootable work-of-art I'll admit). And - of course - it's a LEVERGUN...!!!

So you might even give a thought to putting a Thompson Machine Operative on a used Ruger 96/22, and adding an optical 'dot' sight. It won't be your cheapest firearm, but it will likely be one of the most fun to shoot. You'll have trouble buying ammo fast enough to keep them happy...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Appleseed Project, Boy Scouts and the NRA.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Panzercat - It sounds like you've gotten some good advice here already. I'll just add a couple of things.

In Arizona I'll bet there are a bunch of guys in your place of work, or some other activity you're involved with who are shooters. I would approach the more serious of these guys and tell him what you just told us. Speaking for myself, I've always enjoyed introducing new shooters to safe and responsible firearms handling and shooting.

Number two: if the guys you talk with insist on bringing a bunch of beer with them when they go shooting ... find some other guys to shoot with.

Maybe, along with the suggestions the other guys here have made, you can find a local shooting club that has a visitor's day ? That is how I got started with my local club. If you're regular enough you'll make some shooting friends right there.

Good luck - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'd like to plug the CCI Quiet 22 ammo which functions my Remington 241 autoloader. It sends a 40 gr. bullet out at 700 and some fps, the same as the CB longs and shorts but they use a 29 gr. bullet and won't function the autoloaders, yet this cartridge seems to be quieter to me.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

MrMurphy wrote:Appleseed Project, Boy Scouts and the NRA.
+1

AND a good NRA / CMP affiliated club that's local to you.

A peer group is important. For hands on subjects kids need more than on-line "support " :wink:

A worthy goal.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I think he was asking for HUNTING help, not shooting help?

Panzer, I can't help you even though I live in AZ because I haven't hunted anything since I was a kid, but I suspect that there are likely some avid hunters at your place or work? Put up a note or ask around. Also, if you're a church going dude that's a GREAT place to find a hunting buddy. There are several avid hunters at my church who would fall all over themselves to mentor me or mine if we asked them too. The gun counter at shops is also a good place to ask around.

However, if you just want to go and shoot something willy nilly I'm in. We'll figure it out. :lol:

Don't give up!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

You don't need a heritage.....start one of your own :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

olyinaz wrote:I think he was asking for HUNTING help, not shooting help?
This. Perhaps I didn't explain well enough.

I can shoot paper all day long. Like I said, I've gone ahead and acquainted myself with firearms and have had a number to shoot over the past few years. Shotties, levers, autoloaders, etc. Appleseed is going to make me a better shooter, sure, but not a hunter in any cpacity, and that's my primary concern. Where does one who has never done so acquire those skills.

Thanks for the serious replies so far and actually Church is a great suggestion.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Well church is not where I would inquire.
I assume you are in Az.?
I would put out feelers for the varmit hunting associations, these guys will lead you on a long, strange trip, but it will be an education.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Nothing like having a coyote bite your ankle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hobie wrote:I'd like to plug the CCI Quiet 22 ammo which functions my Remington 241 autoloader. It sends a 40 gr. bullet out at 700 and some fps, the same as the CB longs and shorts but they use a 29 gr. bullet and won't function the autoloaders, yet this cartridge seems to be quieter to me.
I got the 'fake suppressor' that came with the Ruger Mk3/45 and put it on my Savage bolt-action rifle, and using the CCI Quiet-22's it is accurate and pretty darn quiet! Not as good as a $400 suppressor plus a $200 stamp mind you, but a great option for starting out kids or for plinking. Probably not the best 'hunting' ammo, though with Paco's "Accurizer" tool perhaps that could be improved too.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Panzercat wrote:Thanks for the serious replies so far and actually Church is a great suggestion.
I don't know what church you attend, but if it's a Mormon one, you won't have to look far to find lots of pro-gun people, and at least half of them will be active hunters.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The Church we attend is a Cowboy Church. The Cowboy Church is a subdivision of the Nazarene Church, and we are definitely not against firearms. We have a bunch of hunters in the church and we shoot skeet on the Church grounds on Sunday afternoon. I don't know what Church you go to, but you might ask around. I personally have found a lot of Christians who hunt.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I don't know why you should be ridiculed. You should be commended for wanting to learn something new.
I think that you should look into a hunters safety course first. I don't know your age, but most states require the course for most people. That would also be a good place to network for some ideas of where to go.You might also find someone willing to be a hunting partner.
I would also study the regulations and know them well. I am continually amazed by hunters who don't know even the most basic regs.
You may have to just learn on your own, as you go. Pick a small game species that is prevalent,don't start out after trophy elk. Study up with some books and search on-line for relevant materials. Study maps of prospective hunting areas. Than get out there and do it. It's not brain surgery. It is mostly common sense, safety being the number one concern.

Good luck, Kevin
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Like you, my father did not pass down the hunting heritage or firearm heritage. When I grew up, they allowed me to have a bow, and a slingshot. I got really good with those. They took away the bb gun I bought from a friend. That was their right, their rules and I broke them. but with bow and sling in hand, I started hunting just about anything that moved. Bull frogs mostly as I could eat them but many squirrels fell too. I practiced stalking small game, and read about and taught myself heel to ball of foot walking in the woods to keep things quiet. I learned about wind direction, bedding areas, scrapes and rubs, feeding areas, patterning the deer, tracking and fieldcraft. When my son was growing up, i got him involved in cub scouts and boy scouts and our meetings often were out looking for sign in the woods with the den of scouts, casting hoof prints and looking for drops. I vote for scouting and get involved and learn as much as you can from reading and practicing until such time as your young pup can get in the woods or afield with you. Speaking of young pups, I would also recommend adding a hunting dog to the situation. The boy will grow up with the pup and spend endless hours afield with the dog when you can't be there with him. just my 2 cents. blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Panzercat, you got all kinds of good advice for finding hunting buddies and I don't have anything to add to that. But along the lines of BlaineG's thought of "start your own tradition", I'll just say that Arizona was a wonderful place to find the wily jackrabbit when I lived there. And the jackrabbit is my all-time favorite target. Go get 'em, pard!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Panzercat,
Take a look at the AZ Game & Fish website.
http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/MentoredHuntingCamps.shtml
Scroll down to the calander and click on one of the youth hunt camps.
The camps for youths have mentors, activities, food, prizes, etc.

Also, they have an EXPO at Ben Avery on the last weekend of March each year. Lots of displays, food, and activities for kids and adults. Gun manufactures have their tables. My 13 year old girl shot a 22 at Marlin's table this year (you pay for the ammo). You can fire rifles and handguns. Both of my kids shot archery. My son fished at the fish tank, gear and bait are provided.
You can shoot cowboy action, check out atvs, check out venders booths, etc.

There might be something that you can enjoy and/or learn from.

Dave B