Wounded Warrior Project ANTI-GUN

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Wounded Warrior Project ANTI-GUN

Post by TedH »

Found out about this today, and I couldn't believe it was true but, apparently it is. Here's an exchange of emails I copied and pasted from Tom Gresham's Gun Talk Facebook page.

"After Sunday's show, we've gotten many emails about Tom's remarks after WWP declined an interview request on Gun Talk Radio because it's a firearms-related show. We've also seen the forums that are suggesting many things that are not true. So, I'm going to lay it all out right here.

We thought it would be great to book the WWP on the Veteran's Day show to promote the organization, so I contacted them. I was flabbergasted when their PR contact, Leslie, sent me an email saying they could not participate because our show dealt with firearms. Knowing that WWP has had a booth at trade shows and various gun shows across the US, takes wounded warriors on hunts and range days, raffles guns and accessories as fundraisers, etc., their policy didn't make much sense. I forwarded the email on to Tom to get his take.

-Sarah

The following is the complete email exchange:

====================

Hello, Leslie:

Sarah forwarded me your email after I asked her to invite the Wounded Warriors Project to join me on "Tom Gresham's Gun Talk" radio show.

I'm stunned at your email saying that the WWP doesn't participate in an interview or activity related to firearms. Inasmuch as there are 90 million gun owners and most of them support wounded veterans, I think they would be shocked to hear that they are, by way of their hobbies, somehow not worthy of helping with the Wounded Warriors Project.

Does your policy apply also to police agencies and the military, since they are "related to firearms?"

I'm hoping that we have misunderstood your email. Can you confirm that it is, in fact, an official policy of the Wounded Warriors Project to not do interviews with or participate in any activity related to firearms?

Thank you.

Tom Gresham

============

Good afternoon --

While we appreciate your interest in Wounded Warrior Project® (WWP) you are correct that we decline the media opportunity.

Please note the following notice that appears on our website which also applies to WWP public awareness policy and inquiries from media outlets:

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ad ... ities.aspx

WWP does not co-brand, create cause marketing campaigns or receive a percentage or a portion of proceeds from companies in which the product or message is sexual, political or religious in nature, or from alcohol or firearms companies.

Thank you for your inquiry.

LESLIE A. COLEMAN

public relations director

O: 904.405.1433

M: 904.654.8138

F: 904.296.7347

Wounded Warrior Project

4899 Belfort Road, Suite 300

Jacksonville, Florida 32256

====================

Thanks for confirming that, Leslie. It was a simple opportunity to promote the WWP on a national program in an effort to send donations your way.

I'll pass along the info that you don't want or need the help of America's gun owners.

Best regards,

Tom Gresham

=====================

Good morning --

This policy is not a judgment on those who own and use firearms – clearly every member of our armed forces has been trained in the use of firearms and then called on to use them in the course of their service to this country.

Our position regarding firearms and alcohol is in response to the struggles that many injured service members face with substance abuse and suicide and the roles those items often play in those issues.

Thank you.

LESLIE A. COLEMAN

public relations director

=============================

Hello, Leslie:

Thank you for that explanation.

I do think -- and I'm being as kind as possible -- that it's the nuttiest thing I've heard in years. Suicides are not linked to firearms. Japan has a much higher rate of suicide than does the U.S., and they have essentially no firearms. Suicide is a serious issue irrespective of the methodology used.

This explanation doesn't pass even the most simple "does this make sense" test.

Your policy does, in fact, brand firearms and the companies which make them as undesirables, and by association, you are saying that those who own and use firearms for recreation, hunting, self protection, and other safe and legal uses are to be avoided.

It's certainly your option to ostracize the firearms industry, the 90 million gun owners in America, and the media which support firearms safety training.

At this point, I feel an obligation to make sure the millions who listen to my radio show and watch my two national television series know about your policy.

I cannot fully express how much I feel you are doing a disservice to our wounded veterans, and how disappointed I am to discover this bias at the Wounded Warriors Project.

Sincerely,

Tom Gresham
NRA Life Member
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Re: Wounded Warrior Project ANTI-GUN

Post by jkbrea »

This doesn't make sense to me either. A quick search shows Wounded Warrior edition firearms including a Puma Model 92 in .44 mag, a 1911 pistol, ammo; with proceed going to the Wounded Warrior Project. Its sad they are willing to limit the help these service men and woman will receive.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sad.

Thanks for the info Ted.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hypocrites, even if they are 'officially' for a good cause.

I'm sure there are other equally-good organizations which can be supported and do similar things.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Every week.
I listen to Guntalk on podcast.
I always learn something new.

Go to www.guntalk.com and join the Truth Squad. Every other month or so, when need arises, Tom will send out an email. You might as well join www.nssf.org too. Their emails are about as rare and very poignant.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

There have been official WWP shoots, and they've given soldiers guns (having seen several).

Something's not meshing here.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

MrMurphy wrote:There have been official WWP shoots, and they've given soldiers guns (having seen several).

Something's not meshing here.
Publicly, they do not want to offend anyone. PC all---the---way.....

Let's see how long it takes before they change their policy towards publicly allowing association with gun owners. Prior to this, their policy has remained unnoticed by gun owners. A statement by said gun owners wallets and letters will probably be made.

I listened to that podcast by Tom Gresham, he won't be a knee-jerk about this and will keep his listeners informed. He's pretty cerebral about this kind of thing - no bull, no shrug, you get your say without interruption, but if it affects public perception or creates negative effects on 2A issues, he'll raise it to every level he needs to.
Kind regards,
Tycer
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I wonder....Maybe there is a new association with a federal grant with strings attached....this next four years will see an all out assault on the 2nd A :evil:

I emailed a comment on their website.....Perhaps sheer numbers will convince them that warriors and weapons are linked in a good sort of way.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

I wonder if Blaine isn't on to something.

Not long ago our local gun show was raffling off an AR 15 rifle (forget the make) for the Wounded Warriors !

Mr. Gresham is a smart man. I wonder if he's worked on getting past their PR flack ?

Unless what Blaine mentioned is in action - that WWP received some "strings attached" money from the feds, this
makes little-to-no-sense. Like many of you guys, I have watched the shows on Outdoor Channel's "Midway's Wednesday
Night At The Range" and watched Wounded Warriors being taken on shoots at ranges, and on hunts, and all involved seemed
as happy as could be with the whole deal.

I'm betting there's something rotten in Denmark here. Follow the money ? - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Dang it...
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'm more than a little disappointed.

Had a rant all typed up, but now I'm just... I dunno... sad.

:(

Aww, hell. Screw the biotch. Help those boys anyway!

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

FWIW, in the December 2011 Charity Watch guide, WWP had a D rating for very high Administrative/FR costs and a low percentage going to programs and services.
NRA Life Member
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

...from their "Media Room", currently 2nd from the top, under the heading "WWP IN THE NEWS":

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/media-room.aspx

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/4 ... rrior-Hunt
Hunting outing helps injured soldiers on road to recovery, supports Wounded Warrior program

AMY SITES Pharos-Tribune
November 01, 2012 - 10:37 am EDT

MONTICELLO, Ind. — Steve Heath called Mark Liebner when he heard his friend Brandon Long was retiring from the Marines.

Liebner, owner of Camp Kay Outfitters in Monticello, wanted to do what he could to host his first Wounded Warrior hunt.

Heath, a retired staff sergeant who was in the Army for 12 years and eight months, injured his back. He had a traumatic brain injury and posttraumatic stress disorder. He enlisted at 17 and served two tours in Iraq. Now 30, Heath said hunting is his therapy.

"Hunting has made my life better," Heath told the Pharos-Tribune (http://bit.ly/VeioEU ). "I don't know what I would do without it."

Wounded Warrior Project serves military service members who incurred service-connected wounds, injuries, or illnesses on or after Sept. 11, 2001 and their families.

Long, a retired Marine infantry rifleman, was injured in Afghanistan in 2010 when he stepped on an improvised explosive device. Long, now 22, lost both of his legs above his knees and suffered a traumatic brain injury. Long, like Heath, said hunting has helped him.

"If it wasn't for hunting, I would be a wreck," Long said. "It has made my recovery a lot easier."

Liebner, who donated the hunts to Heath and Long, said it was made possible through the generosity of Logansport businessman Milt Cole, who allowed them to hunt on his land.

"My goal is to spread awareness of the Wounded Warrior program and to promote community involvement and participation," Liebner said. "I want troops to know we care about their services."

Liebner said he wanted to have a wounded warrior hunt because he has family members in the military and understands the importance of recognizing them. He said no one really understands what they go through.

Both Heath and Long agreed with him and said a lot of their friends died. Heath said 38 men were killed in action and 120 were wounded from his division, and Long said 27 were killed in action and over 350 were wounded from his.

Heath and Long, both from Fort Wayne, spent the weekend hunting with local guides and were given free lodging.

"These guys accommodated what we needed," Heath said. "Support from local people, who don't even know us, is the most humbling."

Heath shot a deer, the biggest he has ever shot with a bow, he said.

Guide P.J. Applegate said the experience was great because they know they can host Wounded Warriors now.

"These guys were awesome," Applegate said. "They spent many hours in the woods and they've done what they needed to do — hunt."

Applegate and Braden Cottrell are guides for Camp Kay in Cass County.

Camp Kay Outfitters, which has been open in Monticello for five years, has Midwest hunting areas that are known for huge whitetails, according to its website. The camp has a variety of hunts in Indiana, Kansas, Ohio and Maine.

Camp Kay has private acres of hunting land in Cass, Carroll, Franklin, Pike and White Counties in Indiana.

Liebner said another reason he donated the hunt was to ease the pain and help put the guys in a different state of mind.

Heath said Long is the only friend he keeps in touch with at home and it helps because he understands what he went through.

Liebner said he would be able to host more Wounded Warrior events if local landowners let them hunt on their land. Those interested in allowing operations like Wounded Warriors to hunt on their land should contact Liebner at 765-427-3228.

___

Information from: Pharos-Tribune, http://www.pharostribune.com
They don't take "gun" money, but they will take FREE publicity, and they will allow their name to associated with a hunt that uses guns & kills animals. Amazing!

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I wonder if the wounded give a pelosi about the politics of people or orgs that try to help. Have met a few of the wwp folks when I played some music for events. Seemed like sincere folks. Like you guys, I prefer to associate with like minded pro gun folks, But I admire their cause regardless whether wwp supports my pro 2A stance.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

most of the charities...but not all of them...are run by liberals...
because they can not get or hold a real job...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

No charity gets my donations once I learn they spend most of the donated money on their admin costs.

Also - What Rihmfire said +1.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

crs wrote:No charity gets my donations once I learn they spend most of the donated money on their admin costs.

Also - What Rihmfire said +1.
Dittos. I'm taking them off my blog...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If you can get a hold of it, there is a publication given to the Government employees every year when they have a chance to sign up for charitable donations to be taken out of their paychecks that details what percentage of the donation goes to admin costs. Some of the charities give so little to the people they supposedly serve that it is crazy. I try to get that publication whenever possible.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

I read on one of the sites that the CEO or COO pulls in 312,000 a year. Thats just one guy I figure they spend 10 times that on pay roll.

Just looked it up again 340,000 sorry for the inaccurate data.
http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/nati ... -and-staff

Administrative expenses

Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

harry wrote:I read on one of the sites that the CEO or COO pulls in 312,000 a year. Thats just one guy I figure they spend 10 times that on pay roll.

Just looked it up again 340,000 sorry for the inaccurate data.
http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/nati ... -and-staff

Administrative expenses

this is precisely why i dont give money to charities....
i'd rather give up my time to help the people in need... personally...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

340K to head a charity. Wow.
NRA Life Member
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

This is one of the best charities, in my opinion, that helps wounded veterans.

http://semperfifund.org/about/

Only 6% admin overhead costs. The rest goes right to the troops and their families. They also seem to be very non-political.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Well they won't be getting any help from me. Thay are not the only show in town. There are other pro veteran organizations that in my mind are more deserving.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Leslie Coleman reveals her personal prejudice in that exchange every time she appears to need to tie "firearms and alcohol" together in the conversation.
I had hoped for better........
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Veteran Groups and More - This Week on Gun Talk Radio

http://www.guntalk.com/site.php?pageID=15&newsID=464
The CEO of the Wounded Warrior Project (WWP), Steven Nardizzi, will be a guest on this Sunday's show. This follows a week where show host Tom Gresham shared his email exchange with the PR director of WWP in which she indicated that the organization does not do interviews with media or appear at events which are related to guns. This set off a firestorm of reaction by hunters and shooters, many of whom have donated to help wounded veterans as well as putting on fundraising hunts and shoots for the WWP.

"I'm really glad that the Wounded Warrior Project is coming on the show to clarify their position on this," said Gresham. "It has been really confusing to see them taking donations from firearms manufacturers as well as hunting groups, and then to be told that they won't appear in public with us. The latest communication from WWP is that this is all a big mistake and that they want to clear it up with me this Sunday. "
Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
crystal river charli
Levergunner 1.0

Post by crystal river charli »

I have given to the wounded warriors many times.
This is just sad in so many ways.
Charlie
I'm getting old. In my old age I find I long for the guns of my youth.
Revolvers and 1911's were the handguns of my youth.
I know them and I trust them.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

There's some other information out there. I would like for you guys to get the whole story before jumping to conclusions. Here's my take...

WWP had one management that allowed their logo to go on many products. Some of those products are off-putting to some of their targeted donor groups. They're trying to walk the tightrope of PCedness. It isn't working. FWIW, they took in $70+-million in 2011. They and their associated groups do help soldiers/veterans.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

There's no doubt they do some good work for wounded vets, but they seem to be about as efficient as the federal govt.
NRA Life Member
flyfisher66048
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flyfisher66048 »

I get to work with disabled vets through an org called Project Healing Waters. We teach the vets how to tie flies, cast fly rods and take them fishing. We also built a drift boat from Montana Boat Works. Kinda cool to take a vet fishing in a boat he helped build so he can catch fish on a fly he tied.

Anyway, talking with some of the vets at the VA, they were not in favor of the wounded warrior program. They called it a petting zoo organization. They round up a buch of vets and let the donors "pet" the vets during fund raising events. That is just wrong on so many levels

Wounded warrior program will never get any more of my money or time.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/nati ... /financial

When you check their financial page, it states that only 4% of their funds are for admin cost. For all you military folks that used to give to the Combined Federal Campaign, I am sure you will admit that is about as low as you would find when reviewing the charities to donate too. HOWEVER, it still ticks me off that they are ANTIGUN! Needless to say they wont get any of my money anytime soon until they get rid of their current policy!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Last edited by Hagler on Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

TedH wrote:340K to head a charity. Wow.
Vichy LaPierre makes how much?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Sure sounds like he's got some big donors pulling his strings. 340k a year to throw the little gun owners under the bus? Easy peasy. Whose gonna know?

Ummm...... US Little gun owners.
Kind regards,
Tycer
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

If you listen to Tom's Radio Show, he says that Wounded Warriors does not support:
WWP fundraisers cannot be sexual or political in nature and cannot be partnered with alcohol brands or weapons companies.

Today I checked the WW web site and it has been ammended......it now says:

19.Are there any fundraisers WWP does not support?
WWP fundraisers cannot be sexual or political in nature and cannot be partnered with alcohol brands.

Seems all the noise Tom made is starting to have an effect..........
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com