something new: Rossi .45-70 with large loop lever

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

something new: Rossi .45-70 with large loop lever

Post by new pig hunter »

just received an email flyer with news of a new Rossi .45-70 with a large loop lever .....
http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details ... rumbseries

Cheers,

Carl
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Re: something new: Rossi .45-70 with large loop lever

Post by Panzercat »

With all the great used Marlins on the market, Rossi is the very last place I would look for a 45-70 of any model.
Best of luck tho :)
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I thought they always came with the large loop lever. :?
I'd rather buy a new Rossi Rio Grande than a new Marlin (aka Marlington/Remlin) with all their quality control issues. :roll:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:I thought they always came with the large loop lever. :?
I'd rather buy a new Rossi Rio Grande than a new Marlin (aka Marlington/Remlin) with all their quality control issues. :roll:
the .410 is sure nice enough...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:I thought they always came with the large loop lever. :?
Which is why I mentioned the tons of used ones? :mrgreen:
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Is... that a Rossi Replica .... of a Marlin????
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Not a bad looking gun, but in my opinion ALL large loops are teats on a boar hog.

:?
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

FWiedner wrote:Not a bad looking gun, but in my opinion ALL large loops are teats on a boar hog.

:?
I figure they're handy in cold places using gloved hands.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Ranch Dog
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ranch Dog »

Kind of old news. I've owned a Rossi RG4570 for a year now and despite being a diehard Marlin man, absolutely love the rifle. I've used my Rio Grande with all three of my cast bullet designs, the TLC460-300-RF, TLC460-350-RF, and the TLC460-425-RF plus the Beartooth 525-grain Pile Drivers.

More than a Marlin man, I'm a 444 Nut. Saying that, had Marlin took the time to develop a 45-70 based on the 336, I don't think there would have ever been a 444 Marlin! I love your comment FatJack, "Is... that a Rossi Replica .... of a Marlin????" May be Rossi knows when the death bell has sounded on a product line.

What I like best about the Braztech product is that they cut their chambers and barrels to the SAAMI spec. End of story. No wandering off with huge throats to fill. I've spent the last decade designing bullets for Marlin lever guns, made a business out of it, but it is not necessary with the Braztech product. It is really unique to me to find a 45-70 levergun that actually shoots .458" bullets! That is one thing that I do appreciate Remington doing to the Marlin lineup. The rifles that I have seen come through my place have all been cut to the SAAMI spec. The overall quality is not up to the Rossi rifles but they are on the right track and improving.

I also bought a Rio Grande chambered in 30-30 Win but had JES rebore/rechamber it to 38-55 Win. I do wish that the RG was chambered in this cartridge straight from Rossi as well as the 32 Win Spl. That would make a great brace of current manufactured rifles in traditional levergun cartridges.

As far as the big loop lever goes, I appreciate it. What I've found based on my experience with the 444s and 1895s has held true with the RG4570. The large loop helps with your knuckles not being busted under heavy recoil.

This past week I've been getting the Rio Grande ready for a nilgai hunt down in South Texas, I will be using my 425-grain bullet. Like the hunt two years ago, this will be a pack in hunt rather than the typical Texas truck hunt. That lowers the success some what when pursuing such a mobile critter in tough country but it is much more satisfying. I'm looking forward to carrying the RG4570 as the one and a half pound weight savings over the 1895 I used last is pretty important. On the last evening of the last day of that last hunt, I was 6 miles from the truck at sunset. I almost pulled the bolt out of my "MR" and left everything else behind. I'm glad I didn't leave it behind. Sold it for enough money to buy three Rossi 92s!

That hunt is what started me thinking about a lighter levergun. I happened to see the Rossi announcement so signed up for an email when Bud's had them available (they are usually the first with everything). Bought it the day I received the announcement and never looked back.
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

Thanks for the observations. Is that scope rail just screwed on, like a Marlin? Or is it integral? Its handy to have it already there, if you immediately intend to scope it, but I would want to take it off if using peep or iron sights.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

junkbug wrote:Thanks for the observations. Is that scope rail just screwed on, like a Marlin? Or is it integral? Its handy to have it already there, if you immediately intend to scope it, but I would want to take it off if using peep or iron sights.
The rails are screwed on - at least it was on my Rio-Grande.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ranch Dog
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ranch Dog »

junkbug wrote:Thanks for the observations. Is that scope rail just screwed on, like a Marlin? Or is it integral? Its handy to have it already there, if you immediately intend to scope it, but I would want to take it off if using peep or iron sights.
It is a Rossi base, similar to a Weaver. It comes attached but if removed you will need to purchase filler screws. Skinner Sights is support the rifles, Andy has a very nice peep sight that is matched to the screw pattern. It is available in a number of metal finishes to complement the look of the rifle.

junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

Great picture, like that sight.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

junkbug wrote:Great picture, like that sight.
Me too!! I don't have a Rossi but I have a couple of Marlins that would look good on.