Lever Guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Lever Guns

Post by Ms Boots »

I never shot a lever gun before I bought Ollogger one for our anniversary a few years back.
Its really fun. It was the Henry golden boy. They can be addicting I would say, I love the feel of the lever action.
I am still very stuck on my Vaquero however I feel frankly naked with out it on my side.
I am going to seriously look for a stainless, a good used one probably... and a new holster.
My blued vaquero I currently wear is always getting damp or stuffed full of dirt and hay and rain or snow whenever it does decide to rain or snow... (not often enough) I alway lay my vaquero down on the couch side table for Ollogger to wipe down for me.. I worry about that beauty and he has time in the AM to wipe it down while drinking his coffee. I am off to work in a whirlwind every morning... So glad he takes the time to take care my pistol...
But I think I would worry less about a stainless. Not that it would get taken care of less... just less chance of rusting up.... or am I just attatched to that nice blued Vaquero? LOL
Ms Boots
Psalms 83:18 Dan 2:44
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lever Guns

Post by Rusty »

I'd say your Vaquero is building character. Honest wear doesn't hurt anything it just provides memories.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

Rusty wrote:I'd say your Vaquero is building character. Honest wear doesn't hurt anything it just provides memories.
Thanks Rusty.... it does have all that... love its character... but dont you think a stainless would work better in my weather, Its always on myside... I just want to keep it looking good with what character its got...I am attatched... I know....probably due to those memories, its been there for me with some low flying vultures, some wolves.. twice surrounded by Coyotes....a lion... and many a day trailing cattle... OH yes and some snakes before I forget.... Maybe your right.. keep talking.... I need the reasoning...BUT I do NEED a new holster.... the current one has some defects in the ammo holding area.. LOL :?
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Get a Sentry Solutions Tuf-Cloth, they're about $10-12 from Brownells.

The stuff in it bonds with the metal and does not harm plastic or wood or rubber.

It was made to wipe down bigger guns used at sea (machine guns, etc) that couldn't be Cerakoted or superduperfinished with something else.

I started using them in 2002 and have used them on every gun since, including while I was deployed, where humidity was a major issue (we were near the sea, and also going from 130F to 65F to 130F repeatedly going into/out of buildings) to keep my M4 and M9 from rusting.

One good wipedown every month or two and an occasional wipe-down with a regular silicon cloth when it's been handled a lot will keep any gun from rusting except in the absolute most severe conditions.

They come in a small screwtop jar or a ziploc type bag. Get the jar, it's easier to keep the cloth moist.

You can also get the small 12-18 round belt slides for ammo and then use 'any' holster. I'd recommend the closed-top with a flap kind, or the ammo-wallet type since you're not getting into desperate firefights with Apaches or Taliban.
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

MrMurphy wrote:Get a Sentry Solutions Tuf-Cloth, they're about $10-12 from Brownells.

The stuff in it bonds with the metal and does not harm plastic or wood or rubber.

It was made to wipe down bigger guns used at sea (machine guns, etc) that couldn't be Cerakoted or superduperfinished with something else.

They come in a small screwtop jar or a ziploc type bag. Get the jar, it's easier to keep the cloth moist.

You can also get the small 12-18 round belt slides for ammo and then use 'any' holster. I'd recommend the closed-top with a flap kind, or the ammo-wallet type since you're not getting into desperate firefights with Apaches or Taliban.
WOW thanks..... I like these thoughts. I will see if any of the sites we shop carry this. Other wise Brownells has a site? COOL and looking forward to shopping... and ahhhhh somedays I feel like I am up against at least the Taliban, never hurts to be ready... right :roll: THANKYOU!!!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

MrMurphy wrote:Get a Sentry Solutions Tuf-Cloth, they're about $10-12 from Brownells.

I started using them in 2002 and have used them on every gun since, including while I was deployed, where humidity was a major issue (we were near the sea, and also going from 130F to 65F to 130F repeatedly going into/out of buildings) to keep my M4 and M9 from rusting.

One good wipedown every month or two and an occasional wipe-down with a regular silicon cloth when it's been handled a lot will keep any gun from rusting except in the absolute most severe conditions.

Did you guys ever use Fluid Film? I've heard the Navy uses that. I like it, too....I leave it on overnight, and wipe it off the next day...The spray is handy, and the grease is easy to rub on if it doesn't have to penetrate, or go under the wood.
http://www.fluid-film.com/
There are any number of good products out there. My favorite Magic Rag has a little bit of everything on it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

One other thing to think about...

You'll likely pick up a lot of glare off those shiny stainless sights, which could change how well you shoot it. Since you mention "being surrounded", I think an accurate shooter that you can hit with trumps the decision of blue versus stainless. Do you have any friends who have a stainless Vaquero you can try out? You might find out the glare on a sunny day is or isn't an issue for you, but I know the subject of the sun's effects on sight pictures has been studied ad naseum by target shooters. And it makes a difference is the sun is low right, low left or overhead too -- but if the coyotes are in that close, maybe the light on your sights is the least of your worries... :shock:

Me? I love stainless and all my Ruger and S&W handguns have that finish -- but I did have the sights on the SS fixed-sight model Cera-coated to make them black (a tough baked-on finish).

Good luck, and tight groups.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I think one of the best looking firearms we have seen on this forum is malmute's model 29 blued 44 mag that he has put years of honest wear on it. I would keep the blue and take the others suggestions and just enjoy it. It's a great firearm and one that will serve you always with just a little care.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

http://www.amazon.com/Sentry-Tuf-Cloth- ... =tuf+cloth

The jar version, which I prefer since it's easier to reseal.

www.brownells.com is the Brownells website, they sell the 'ziploc' version which works just as well.

Basically, take the gun down to it's major components (in your case, remove the cylinder) and just go to town on it. Wipe down 'everything' inside and out you can reach without any further disassembly than removing the cylinder, and let it air dry (takes a few minutes) then when it feels/looks dry, put it back together if you haven't already. You're done.

I first tried it out with an 870 Express which rusted when you looked at it wrong, that cured it. Used it on everything else since.

I stripped my M4 down to major components and basically wiped down the outside and inside plus the bolt carrier group and had no further issues with rust for the next six months, which led to hints of sorcery and black magic by the uninitiated E-3s who refused to listen to my advice. :)

For any gun that's 'in hand' or exposed to the weather constantly, that can't be Cerakoted, parkerized, etc... the Tuf-Cloth works well. I've wiped down a couple hundred year old Mausers and 70-80 year old Lee-Enfields as well as a 1917-issued Enfield and they look just fine even after a serious rainstorm. I still dried and disassembled them, but the Tuf-Cloth is just extra insurance. :)
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

BlaineG wrote:

Did you guys ever use Fluid Film? I've heard the Navy uses that. I like it, too....I leave it on overnight, and wipe it off the next day...The spray is handy, and the grease is easy to rub on if it doesn't have to penetrate, or go under the wood.
http://www.fluid-film.com/
There are any number of good products out there. My favorite Magic Rag has a little bit of everything on it.
Ollogger has a rag.... not sure what it is since I am out the door... and have not asked... he is still searchin for his whitetail tonight... when he gets in I am sure I can answer you better or he can... he takes care the fine stuff which I also need to learn.... so thanks for helping me out! :wink:
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Thanks Mike.

You mean this one?

I have a Vaquero with a few miles on it also,

You can use car wax to keep them safe also. Applied heavily, then gently buffed off so as not to take too much of the wax off. I think this is done in Alaska some. The tuf-cloth or fluid film sounds like a good product.

I just dust my guns of with a toothbrush now and then, I rarely wipe them with oil unless they've been in the rain or snow much.

I used a half flap holster for a while, they give protection to the action, but allow the grip to stick out enough to be fairly quick. I built my own back when I carried a Colt SAA. I think El Paso Saddlery has a couple types of half flap rigs. I had a military style (1880's I think) that was too tight in the barrel length/toe plug and very hard to button the half flap. If your gun was 4 5/8", I'd get the 5 1/2" holster to avoid that problem with that particular model. Most other holsters should be OK.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I use reproduction 19th Century military flap holsters for my single action revolvers, just the butt end of the grips stick out from under the flap and it protects them quite well. If I think I'm about to use it, the flap is easily tucked in behind the pistol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ms Boots - picture of your Vaquero? :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

You can also get a cheap microfiber cloth at Wal Mart in the automotive department and some of their aerosol Break Free in the Sporting goods department. A quick spray and wipe down will protect most good steel for a day or two.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old Savage wrote:Ms Boots - picture of your Vaquero? :)
+1 - that would be nice.

Like others, honest wear is never an issue if you were the one doing the wear. For a working gun though, I like stainless as well. :D
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

When I retired, there was no-one to buy me a retirement present.
So I bought myself one.
S&W Model 629 in .44 Mag.
I think I earned it.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You done good - picture of that 629. :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

I second Old Savage's vote for a picture of the Vaquero. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: What caliber is it? I'm guessing 45 Colt?

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

24 years after I purchased it, shooting in all kinds of weather, cleaned in hot water & soap after every firing, (sometimes as much as a week later) :oops: dragged all over God's "Green Acre," holstered off & on, fed with nothing but pure lead and Goex black powder, oiled with a variety of products... in all it's ugly glory:

And sometimes, when they look like they're worn out, some family member surprises you by getting it nicely refinished and customized:
my 3rd gen Colt SAA after 25 years of playing cowboy, plus sometime concealed and even duty gun!

Blued guns take on a character; stainless just gets slightly more shiney. However, if you do get one, there's a great option to keep the front sight in clear view. If you ain't usin' it for cowboy action shootin', put a orange insert into the back of it.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I like the worn blue look better than a shiny new one. They get better with age and wear in my opinion, begging the viewer to ask its stories. I have a stainless Ruger, but I'd prefer a worn blue one. My favorite rifle has no finish left on it save a fine brown patina.

Some predators might look at the honest wear on a pistol and think the woman pointing it at them knows how to use it. Mosey on, nothing here fer us..... My wife's stainless j-frame with pink laser grip might not seem quite as foreboding.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Griff, your description of that '51 Navy makes me think of that Remmie New Army in my pic. I've owned it right at 30 years now and it's been all over the place too. I traded a Nylon 77 for it used so I have no idea how old it actually is, but it's finish hasn't really changed since I've owned it. It's killed a bunch of snakes, cans and a squirrel one time. And late one night when it was all I had, it worked for self defense without a hitch. That '60 Army and the Ruger Vaquero have went on to other pastures since that picture was taken a few years ago, but somehow I don't see me getting rid of that ol' Remmie. It fits my hand just right and it's hard to find one that does that.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

like so?
P7020215.JPG
where i live if it's not drizzling, pouring, misting, or sprinkling it's raining. :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

pokey wrote:like so?
P7020215.JPG
where i live if it's not drizzling, pouring, misting, or sprinkling it's raining. :?
Or Fogging :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

Old No7 wrote:One other thing to think about...

You'll likely pick up a lot of glare off those shiny stainless sights, which could change how well you shoot it. Since you mention "being surrounded", I think an accurate shooter that you can hit with trumps the decision of blue versus stainless. Do you have any friends who have a stainless Vaquero you can try out? You might find out the glare on a sunny day is or isn't an issue for you, but I know the subject of the sun's effects on sight pictures has been studied ad naseum by target shooters. And it makes a difference is the sun is low right, low left or overhead too -- but if the coyotes are in that close, maybe the light on your sights is the least of your worries... :shock:

Me? I love stainless and all my Ruger and S&W handguns have that finish -- but I did have the sights on the SS fixed-sight model Cera-coated to make them black (a tough baked-on finish).

Good luck, and tight groups.

Old No7
I would do most my shooting in the dark... the time I need it is around 4am doing chores. the glare would be from my coal miners light I wear on my head I would guess... I use snake shot in the first three rounds... after that its the real thing. But food for thought for sure. Yes I had a stainless but in a 280 with a stainless scope. LOVED IT! WiSH I never would have sold it. I sure could use the blue one day light and stainless night... its that night/early morning air that I dread most and daylight I dont worry so much about critter cornering me in... they taunt me in the early hours of the mornings. thanks for your thoughts.. well worth thinking on!!! :)
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

BlaineG wrote:
P7020215.JPG
Or Fogging :roll:
Crud Blaine.. I am sunshine gal.... I need that, BUT would love a rainy foggy day every other month! :|
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

P7020215.JPG
ahhhhhh Can I have your pistol and holster please :o OH BOY!!!! I think its a fit.... :D Very nice.. I am drooling.... please send to Ms Boots... hoping she gets what she wishes for! :wink:
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

44-40 Willy wrote:Griff, your description of that '51 Navy makes me think of that Remmie New Army in my pic. I've owned it right at 30 years now and it's been all over the place too. I traded a Nylon 77 for it used so I have no idea how old it actually is, but it's finish hasn't really changed since I've owned it. It's killed a bunch of snakes, cans and a squirrel one time. And late one night when it was all I had, it worked for self defense without a hitch. That '60 Army and the Ruger Vaquero have went on to other pastures since that picture was taken a few years ago, but somehow I don't see me getting rid of that ol' Remmie. It fits my hand just right and it's hard to find one that does that.
Hmmmmmmm :lol:
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Old Savage wrote:Ms Boots - picture of your Vaquero? :)
And preferably with you Ms Boots in the picture holding it. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Blue for me, had a stainless years ago but imo it makes the gun look bigger.
I`m talking old model.

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.