How Is The .35 Rem. With Cast Loads?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scoutmaster
Levergunner

How Is The .35 Rem. With Cast Loads?

Post by Scoutmaster »

I was looking at Cast Performance bullets to use in a 45/70 and noticed two cast bullets that might work for the .35 Rem. They have a 180gr and 200gr. both are .358" with gas checks. Any suggestions or comments?
Thanks,
Don
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

How is the 35 Rem. with cast loads

Post by jlchucker »

I have two 35 Remingtons and two of my brothers each have one. A couple of friends have them as well. All are older Marlins, but most have microgroove barrels. That has not been shown to be an issue. I used to use the Lyman 206 gr gascheck bullet for my cast loads, and had excellent results with the first load I tried--34 gr of Winchester 748. So good, in fact, that I did no more experimentation until I tried the RCBS 200 Grain flatnose gascheck bullet--over 21 gr. of Accurate XMP5744. An even better load! The 35 works well with both of these bullets, but nowadays I prefer the RCBS bullet. Save yourself a lot of grief loading this round. That dinky little shoulder just asks for deformity when crimping. The solution to this is a Lee Factory Crimp die--they squeeze your crimp into the groove from the sides, rather than forming it by pushing down. Good luck. :)
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Montana Bullet Works offers the RCBS 200 Gr. FNGC in the .359 diameter......I think it might shoot better in your Marlin but of course can't say for sure. They shoot wonderfully in my 356 Win. loaded to warm 35 Rem. velocities. This is an old photo but these are the same bullets doing what should be about 2100 fps.(.75" at 55 yards). I've had good luck with slower burning, case filling powders and seating the bullet out to where it almost engraves on the rifling.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

My 336 shot the RCBS 200gr FNGC sized .360" over a healthy dose of Varget excellently. 1886.
Jeff Pitts
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Jeff Pitts »

I've had really good luck with the 200gr RCBS and 37.5 grs of H322. I get 2000fps out of my T/C and 1" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. Truly a great load. A few friends that shoot the same load out of their Marlins also get 1" groups or so and love it also.

Jeff
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The 200 grain bullet from lymans mold shoots good in my Marlin .
The short lead in the chamber makes loading dificult if a soft bullet is not used. This load is going about 1600 fps. :wink: 50yd target.