Model 94 in 44 mag********* (Pictures Added)*****

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Model 94 in 44 mag********* (Pictures Added)*****

Post by Bridger »

The same gun store I just bought the .32 H&R from has a model 94 in 44 mag that hasn't hit the shelf yet but the owner showed it to me anyway, and boy am I tempted. It is from, I would say the late '60s, because it is non-lawyered up and doesn't have angle eject. It does have honest wear and has been carried for sure, but overall seems to be a tight gun. In fact, seems to be one of the tightest 94's I've held. Very little rattle. I think I can get it for about $450. Should I? I have some reservations about the cartridge as opposed to a 30-30, but from what I've read it seems to hit about as hard a the 30-30 out to about 100 yards, which is all I need anyway. And, I doubt the rifle will ever go down in value. What say yall?

------------------------------
Like I said, it still isn't officially for sale yet, as he said he holds everything for 15 days before he sells it, and this one is coming out the 15th. He took down my name and info and is going to give me first shot at it as soon as it's ready. I hope htese pics will help you guys tell a little more about it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bridger on Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Model 94 in 44 mag

Post by Mescalero »

My brother had one and HE had trouble with it jamming when he cycled the action, he would do it real slow and baby it.
I never had the problem when I shot it but I worked the action firmly and briskly.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The .44 mags in both win.94 and Marlin 336`s are not the most reliable feeders. Better get a Win.92 or Marlin 1894 if you plan to shoot it much. :D
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

i would grab it!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've been looking for one of those since 1970. I'd already have it home and be bragging about it.

If the rifle shows wear from carrying and use, then I'd not worry too much about weather or not it works.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I had one and it flat shot. That was one good gun but for one thing. The cartridge stop was worn and it would let in a cartridge under the lifter. What a pain. I traded it for a Marlin for that reason. Loved the Marlin, too. It mostly killed hogs (and maybe some goats) on FT Hunter Liggett in CA. I had to sell it to finance the divorce. That HURT. I have another now which I need to shoot... :roll:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Does the price seem okay to yall?

- Winston Churchill
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Since the Model 94 was designed around a rifle-length (.30-30) cartridge, I wouldn't have one in a shorter/pistol chambering. YMMV.

I would much rather have a short-action gun, designed around the shorter, pistol-length, cartridge - like a Marlin 1894 or Winchester/Rossi/Browning Model 92.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Sorry Hobie.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sight a 240gr about 6" high at 100 yards, and you will be only about 6" low at 200.....If you can hit it, you can kill it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I have a Trapper in .44mag that has been flawless and is a great shooter. I typically don't shoot specials in it...just download the mag cartridges. That's a good price...I would go for it!
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

I have a Trapper in 45Colt, and have had zero trouble with it, and it is a tac driver.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

I have not had jamming trouble with my 94ae in 44 magnum. An accuracy problem yes but the consensus of opinion is that that is the result of the loose butt stock which I need to fix. Then I will see if I need to move to peep sights or a scope.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

This particular Rifle was the topic of discussion with a Friend yesterday. He said "Win designed the Gun but never put it into production". He bought one of the barrels from Numrich or some such supplier and His Dad made the conversion on a 94. It appears from the Posts here that He (My friend) is full of Bovine Dung. I must set Him straight cause He knows more than Me. :lol: Carry On
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The top eject Winchester mdl 94 in .44Mag was made from 1967 to about 1970. As others have mentioned, they do have some feed issues, especially big wide SWCs with large meplats. Round flat nose bullets are not so problematic.

I owned one for a couple of years while I was in the Navy. It was stolen in 1974. The .44Mag in a 20" barrel approximates the .30-30 ballistics out to 100 yard, but drops off sharply after that. What I will tell you, is that even tho' the whomp on the front end is about equal to the .30-30, the whomp on the back end is more severe.

Enjoy your new rifle. Remember, pics are required! Yes, $4-450 is a fair price in my estimation.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I bought my 94AE Ranger Compact (Trapper) in 357 mag back in 2003. From what I gather the 357 mag is the greater of 2 evils vs the 44 mag as far as feed issues are concerned. My gun has always been 100% reliable with all ammo 38 Special (except wadcutters) and 357 magnum with reliability comparable to my Marlin 1894 44 magnum. I have absolutely no complaints. Maybe I'm lucky.
As far as action length 94 vs 92 the 94 is just barely longer than the 92 thanks to John Browning's design genius which allowed basically a short action to shoot a long cartridge. My opinion based on my experience is that Winchester did an admirable job adapting the model 94 to feed & fire shorter pistol cartridges. I would ask if the seller would allow you to run a magazine full of ammo through the action first to verify feed reliability.

Here's a picture of a 92, and a 94AE side by side to see the action size difference. Not all that bigger at all and much smaller than a model 73 action made for the 44/40, 38/40 etc., which are short cartridges.

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

In the 45 Colt Win 94 AE Trapper I had there could be feeding hitches if it was not held level during cycling.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

As far as power 44 mag vs 30/30 in my experience the 44 magnum has the upper hand. Every pig I have shot using the 44 magnum (240 JSP) has dropped right then and there up to pigs over 300 pounds at ranges over 125 yards. I have never lost a pig shot with the 30/30 (170 JSP) BUT with pretty much identical shot placement I have had to track more than a few. Measuring energy (bullet weight/velocity formula) they two seem comparable on paper with an edge to the 30/30 at past 100 yards. I prefer to factor in the projectile diameter into the equation using the Thornily Relative Stopping Power, or even the Taylor Knock Out Power (KO). No formula is perfect but in my experience both these formulas more accurately reflect field performance on game instead just comparing pure muzzle energy.
http://beartoothbullets.com/rescources/index.htm

Thornily Relative Stopping Power

30/30 170 grains 2200 fps = 84

44mag 240 grains 1760 fps = 114

Asbestos BVDs now on. :lol:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ji, no need for a flame suit....I just happen to thing that GSWs follow the chaos theory.....you can shoot into the same place 10 times, and get 10 different results. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it. :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

EVERYBODY knows that game available in 2012 have grown more armor-plating than game 25+ years ago - Just look at how much, more powerful rifles are needed today ! . :mrgreen:

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I love the portability.....with the A/O front and Ghost Rear, they are really quick on target and remind you of a little guide gun. Mine had the sling swivels and man it is almost an afterthought hanging on the small of your back. In every way a "tactical" levergun. Word of caution.....make sure you look carefully down the sights to make sure everything lines up. Mine had a scope on it and it hid the misaligned sights. Hard to correct if it's over rotated to the left. I sold mine in a weak moment, but wish I had it back and am kind of looking for one in good shape. My son's Marlin 44 Texan sure impressed with the .432 Ranch Dog 265 gr. bullet, on his recent Hog hunt. On older mature boars, supposedly the 44's have a tendency to stick in the gristle plate and the 35's are favored. I have to believe there is some truth to that as the guides who relate this tendency have seen thousands taken by these rounds. But after watching that Ranch Dog bullet 265 gr. completely penetrate a mature boar, at very moderate "cowboy action" power levels, I couldn't help but be impressed by performance. Killed quick and not a lot of destruction of surrounding meat. Which was great because I did not want to trail that big boy! :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

13 White...er, now 14 Whitetails, one Black Bear, and one Bull Elk down by the Clark Fork up in the Bitteroots did not notice any feed problems with '94 Winchester chambered for .44Mag. Whether it be a 240 JSP in front of 24.5 grains of H110 or a 265gr in front of 23 grains, they all went down.

For plinking, 240 SWC or 270 Ranch Dog in front of 9 grains of Unique work extremely well.

By the way, welcome.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mescalero wrote:Sorry Hobie.
For what? It was quite common for the stop to be worn/damaged and let in another under the lifter. I know that NOW, but then didn't know why it did what it did. At the time I liked it better than the Marlin, now I'd say that they're about even.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

No, losing it in the divorce.
Lost a S&W model 51 lke that.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I had a Marlin model 1894 in 44 mag and while it shot very accurately, it was jammer and got worse the more I shot it. In the 1980's and 90's the Marlin in 44 had a terrible reputation for being a jammer, and my experiences confirmed if for me.

I had a Winchester model 94 in 44 mag. It was an angle eject, but pre-crossbolt safety. This gun was pretty darned reliable even with semi-wadcutters. When I loaded it down to 44 special power it shot cast bullets very accurately, but I never did find a full power load that shot well out of it. I shot a few cowboy matches and did pretty good with it. I finally sold it, after I found a Browning 92.

I now own the Browning 92, and I believe it is has been the best for me. It handles heavy loads well, is reliable, compact, and no stupid safeties or rebounding hammers. I doubt I let it go any time soon. The 44 mag has killed well for me, out of a pistol and the browning 92, but I don't know, I have also had good luck with the 30/30, but neither one is that impressive when the range starts to stretch out there.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Interesting replies, guys. Thanks.

- Winston Churchill
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mescalero wrote:No, losing it in the divorce.
Lost a S&W model 51 lke that.
:lol: Heck, I lost a lot more than that. I lost the 93 Marlin .38-55, a Ruger Stainless Security Six, a sporterized M91 Argentine Mauser and my belief in honest women...
Sincerely,

Hobie

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Sounds like I got off easy.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I had a 44 Trapper, for about a year. Traded it for a Marlin 1895 GS. I do not regret the trade at all, BUT not because i didn't like the gun, I loved it, but the 45-70 was what I really wanted. Now that it's gone, I do miss it. I was sooooo handy to carry, and packed a whallop.

this was how it looked when I traded it off. I never tested it for accruacy, other than plinking, and only put 1/2 box of ammo through it, but it NEVER malfunctioned. I used Win 240gr JSP ammo, factory stuff.

Mine came with the rebounding hammer (no safety) but I had converted it to half cock.

I would get it and not look back.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I often hunt with my RUGER 96 in 44MAG. My favorite bullet is the 270 grain Speer which delivers excellent accuracy and very good penetration. You need a fairly fast twist to stabilize this heavy bullet. For brushy country, I prefer a soft tip over the hollow tip. Seems to get through the brush a little better although striking twigs is always a good excuse for missing. :lol:
TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Fircrest911
Levergunner

Post by Fircrest911 »

Lastmohecken wrote:I had a Marlin model 1894 in 44 mag and while it shot very accurately, it was jammer and got worse the more I shot it. In the 1980's and 90's the Marlin in 44 had a terrible reputation for being a jammer, and my experiences confirmed if for me.

I had a Winchester model 94 in 44 mag. It was an angle eject, but pre-crossbolt safety. This gun was pretty darned reliable even with semi-wadcutters. When I loaded it down to 44 special power it shot cast bullets very accurately, but I never did find a full power load that shot well out of it. I shot a few cowboy matches and did pretty good with it. I finally sold it, after I found a Browning 92.

I now own the Browning 92, and I believe it is has been the best for me. It handles heavy loads well, is reliable, compact, and no stupid safeties or rebounding hammers. I doubt I let it go any time soon. The 44 mag has killed well for me, out of a pistol and the browning 92, but I don't know, I have also had good luck with the 30/30, but neither one is that impressive when the range starts to stretch out there.
I have the opportunity to buy a 1971 Marlin Model 1894 in 44 Mag. Sounds like maybe a bad idea if they had a reputation for jamming?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Fircrest911 wrote:
Lastmohecken wrote:I had a Marlin model 1894 in 44 mag and while it shot very accurately, it was jammer and got worse the more I shot it. In the 1980's and 90's the Marlin in 44 had a terrible reputation for being a jammer, and my experiences confirmed if for me.

I have the opportunity to buy a 1971 Marlin Model 1894 in 44 Mag. Sounds like maybe a bad idea if they had a reputation for jamming?
The only time mine ever "jammed" was when I tried to feed it semi-wadcutters. Otherwise, no problems.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hobie wrote:The only time mine ever "jammed" was when I tried to feed it semi-wadcutters. Otherwise, no problems.
Same with my Winch 94 in .44Mag. When you worked the action "slowly" it fed just fine... it was while trying the run 'em a little faster than a snail's pace!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!