buff hunt by twisted serpent

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

buff hunt by twisted serpent

Post by n2t »

going to make this short and sweet. Gf went out on a bison hunt, took the 7mm-08 with a mid load 139grn sst. About 2800fps at the muzzle. Able to get within 100 yards for the fist shot, took a couple to bring it down then a finisher just in case. Very impressed with the cal, and really think we got a great gun in the axis/edge by savage. I think that while the 139grn sst is a good bullet, that I would like just a touch more bullet weight as the GF seems very good at shooting animals at 30-50 yards and the SST does not stay together at those ranges. Going to change up the load a little bit, 162grn interloc will be my next try, followed by a 154 if I have any issues. If those don't pan out, I always have the 139 that shoots great and the ability to go to the interloc over the sst or even the interbond. That said..the 139grn sst did prove lethal and the 7-08 and shooter more than up to the task. Even the little dodge dakota proved what it lacks in on road civility and refinement it makes up for in power and off road capability. All in all, a great day for everyone involved..baring the buffalo.
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg29 ... 0268-1.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg29 ... /buff2.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg29 ... 0266-1.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg29 ... AG0269.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg29 ... AG0272.jpg
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: buff hunt by twisted serpent

Post by 2ndovc »

Awesome!!

Thanks for putting that up!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You might also consider some of the new lead free ammo like the TSX - because they retain all or almost all the weight it is like going up a notch in weight. 243 starting at 3225 still did well at 50 yds. Same ammo worked fine at 275 yds.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

You know..for the cost I just don't think I'm going to go to a lighter solid bullet when I think a heavier one for half the price will have an advantage. Now in cals where going up in weight really won't net penetration, or won't expand the bullet (.243, .223, 7-30waters) or in situations where maybe a gun can't stabilize a very heavy for cal bullet (25-06, the short action ultra mags, some slow twist .223s), I would consider barnes or the equal or even the bonded bullet. But I think for the cost, and even in performance in the 7mm-08, a heavy bullet like a 154 or 162 cup and core will do what needs to be done. and if not, even the bonded 139grn bullets are more affordable than the barnes and hold a good portion of their weight. That said..for a very light deer bullet..I'm extremely impressed with what it was able to bring down.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations! Looks like a great hunt.

Do you have any idea how much it weighed yet?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

650lbs on the hoof. Not huge..but a darn sight bigger than a deer or hog, lol. Amanda hasn't been hunting very long, this is her 3rd year. As I'm deployed to afghanistan, she's taken the chance to get out and do some things on her own, 3 deer, and this buff is a really good start for a girl who shot her first real gun 3 years ago. Started her out on a 7mm waters that just gave her fits. Then went with a .357mag marlin which she still has and took 2 hogs on 86ers spring hunts. Took 2-3 deer in the last two years with that savage axis, and then took 3 more this year and the buffalo. Next year, who knows, elk or sheep seem to be on the menu. She's also taken an antelope with the rifle..I think we found one that works well for her, and I can highly recommend both the gun and cal to any new hunters..and some old hunters, lol.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Are you saying you're in A'stan and she's here, and did that without you?

WOW! I say.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

My stomach is growling just thinking of all that prime Buffalo meat. What is the procedure for getting a tag for buff hunting where you live?
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very cool, grats too your wife 8)
And thanks for your service. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Congratulations!! :D
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Howdy n2t
Tell your wife "Well done" from me !
Please remember to duck and get home safe. Appreciate your joining the ranks of our Brotherhood. Merry Christmas to you and the troops up front.
Mike Armor 71-74
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Very nice! The bullet for 7mm-08 in any application is the Swift Scirroco and preferably @2700 fps. That combo took 34 animals in Africa up to eland and 27 animals in N. America including bear, moose and elk.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nice article on the rifle - apparently very accurate and well designed.
Last edited by Old Savage on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Congrats. Thanks for yor service
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Wow! Terrific! I'd say she's a keeper!

And...thanks for your service. I'm humbled by your sacrifice.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

Thanks all, yep she took this and 3 deer herself while I'm deployed, she's become quite fond of this hunting thing. I think she's getting me a black bear hunt for when I got home so the 300 savage should get a workout. Doing my best to get out of here, just a little while more to go. See you all soon.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That was great. Glad to see she is still hunting. I enjoyed meeting you both at that hog hunt a while back. As was said above this post, stay safe and continue to duck. Hope to hunt with you again sometime.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost