Hearing Protection - Poll

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.

What Type of HEARING Protection Do You USE?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:09 pm

Foam Inserts
29%
Molded Plugs
12%
Ear Muffs
23%
Electronic Plugs (hearing aids count)
No votes
Electronic Muffs
16%
Combinations of the above
19%
none
2%

Total votes: 126
Griff
Posting leader...

Hearing Protection - Poll

Post by Griff »

Partly because I am curious, and partly because I need to replace ONE plug, what type of hearing protection do you use?

Since Hobie mentioned about the search function, I did a search with "Hearing protection" as it's topic and limited to "General Discussion" as the two parameters. It brought up 4 threads, none of which was in the form of a poll. None of them went beyond a page of comments. That makes me wonder... do we care so little about our hearing? {Rhetorical question, no comment necessary, but it's ok if you do}! The four threads, with author, in no particular order:
1. Hearing Protection Study, 86er (BTW, any further developments in your study?)
2. Got hearing protection?, getitdone1
3. Hearing protection question, JMiller
4. Hearing Protection - Active Duty Guys Particularly, Hobie

For myself, I generally only use molded plugs. Since most of my shooting is done at cowboy action matches, wearing a cowboy hat, muffs are impractical... and the behind the neck types are uncomfortable, and generally hold my hat too high... spending time chasing your hat is counter-productive! :lol:

I got my first set in CA in 1986 at the annual End of Trail match. Still have them. The second set I got at the first annual match I put on in TX, 1991. I had an audiologist that specialized in shooting plugs come out and offer the service to our shooters... I think she sold some 35-40 sets on the 1 day she was there. The 3rd set I purchased at a gun show at the Cow Palace in San Francisco when I met a fellow Levergunner there.

Why 3 sets you ask? Well, one stays in my "big truck" so that I have MY protection in case I get to visit a cowboy match while on the road. One stays in my gun cart for match use, and the other is usually in my p/u, just in case my gun cart isn't with me when going to a range... as when I went out to RKrodle's last week.

In addition, I keep a "baggie" with several sets of foam plugs in my gun cleaning box for those that forgot.
Last edited by Griff on Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hearing Protection - Poll

Post by Pitchy »

What ever is handy at the time from foam too muffs :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Most of what I shoot is not overly loud I just use both plugs and ear muffs because why risk it.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Years on a flightline around mostly Phantoms, and flying in helos did it's damage long before I was smart enough to understand what that darned ringing in my ears would mean later in life. I then worked in the ship building industry and finally the oil industry. Sometime during my tenur in the oil industry hearing protection became in common use.

But by then, it was way too late. I know folks with much more hearing loss, and have decided I will protect what I have left. While engaged in any activity involving not just high decible noise, but noise at lower decibiles over a longer period, will find me with plugs and muffs.

Sadly, I see younger kids who don't realize that even though there is no requirement posted (a location can be jus one db below the threshold and then won't be posted) that the noise level over an extended time can do as much or more damage than short periods in higher db areas.

I was hoping my kids would be spared hearing loss, but even though the military tries to protect the troops hearing, the noise level in combat still took it's toll. They have better hearing than I did at their age, but the damage is done. Like me, all they can do is protect what is left.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I usually get by with foam plugs trying to keep what I have left. With magnum handguns I will usually put muffs over the plugs. The one set of electronics I had were cheapies from Midway that failed after an hour or two. Should try the custom molded ones, I suspect.
I wear the foamies when running the chainsaw, the diesel tractor, the lawn mower or even the vacuum. Always hate the sound of a vacuum cleaner. Screwy, I know.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I use molded earplugs every time I shoot. Depending upon what I'm shooting or someone else is shooting I might also use my electronic earmuffs. If you don't have molded earplugs, you need to get some because they work very well and your ears need all the protection they can get.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I got a set of molded earplugs when I first started shooting competitive shotgun games !

Thats been about 30 years ago , think i paid $15 for them then and I've been using the same set ever since !

I also keep fowm earplugs in my range bag and my shotgun shooting bags just in case I leave the molded plugs in the wrong bag by mistake .

I am finding however a BIG BIG PLUS for the subsonic suppressed loads in the 223 and 308 bolt guns ! With them you do not need hearing protection .

But alas I can now see the error of my ways for all those years at Steam and Gas Shows running steam engines blowing the whistle all weekend with no hearing protection :(
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I have throwaway foam plugs in all of my vehicles just in case I need them but I prefer muffs with the band around the back. I have several pair (and different brands) that I keep in my range bags, along with extra foam plugs. The only shots that I take without some sort of hearing protection is when out hunting. Rarely more than one shot. All other times, including dispatching assorted varmints around the yard and buildings, I wear hearing protection.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Silencio plugs,
you can still have a conversation with them in.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Bill in Oregon,
No, I don't think so, I deplore the sound also.
Like fingernails on a chalkboard.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Plugs and muffs both, all the time at the range.

Hunting... nada... :oops:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

Peltor electronic muffs with the behind the head type band. Worth their weight in gold. I use them for bird hunting and NRA Highpower.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I use foam plugs when muffs would be in the way of my gun or hat, like in CAS.
Muffs for range officer duty or when shooting pistols only.
There is a new set of electronic muffs under the tree. :D :D :D
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I carry a set of rubber (not foam) earplugs in my pocket all the time. I never shoot anything without them. It would have to be a real emergency for me not to take the time to install them. I also use them in my shop when at the anvil, lathe or such.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Electronic muffs:
  • They keep my ears warm when I'm shooting in cold weather.

They enable me to hear BETTER than normal - to hear little deer-footsteps when hunting.

They enable me to hear conversation when at the range.
I keep roll-up foam ones as 'spares' in various places:
  • They are inexpensive.

They take up little space.

They can be given to others who need hearing protection.

They can be used WITH the muffs if shooting unusually loud firearms.
I use 'regular' muffs when running farm-tools like mowers or circular saws:
  • They are cheap yet effective.

On and off easily (vs. the roll-up plugs).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I double up with standard foam plugs and muffs. Each reduces about 28 db, not sure if it's correct to calculate a 56 db reduction, but it seems like enough.

It's not what I shoot, it's what other people around me shoot that's the problem.

I now use earplugs when hunting. Makes you think you are very stealthy.

Once while hunting I fired a shotgun while standing close to a rock canyon wall. I could feel the blast on my cheek. One ear has been ringing/sensitive since then. Although I hear very well through it. I think my problem is more due to musical instruments than guns. Practicing loud clarinets everyday, etc.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Plugs & muffs when shooting any centerfire. Plugs or muffs when shooting rimfire.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Muffs, mainly. Sometimes muffs and plugs. I like the Peltor muffs.
They're comfortable, and can be rebuilt. I have 4 or 5 pairs handy
around the place.

I don't wear 'em while running the lawnmower, but I do when running the
chainsaw, circular saw, weedeater, leaf blower, and yes - the vacuum.
The noise of a vacuum makes me nuts - or nuttier than I already am anyway.

-Stretch
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

FWiedner wrote:Plugs and muffs both, all the time at the range.

Hunting... nada... :oops:
Me too :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Just shooting, i use plugs or muffs, hunting, nothing

ollogger
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I use molded plugs every time. I like them most for hunting as I can back them out just a touch to hear, and when it is time to shoot they just need a very slight touch to engage them fully. They stay in the ranch truck so I always have em.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Always plugs as a mininum, anything centerfire I use electric muffs and sometimes plugs and muffs.

I've always used protection when shooting but for years never wore any when riding my motorcycle. Decades of wind noise has nearly ruined my ears and now I'm covered when I mow, use my chainsaw, weedeat, or just about anything.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

5 years of shooting .458 Win Mag in a 100 yard concrete tunnel, throw in 28 years of turbine engine noise, I have to protect what is left.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Hunting: nothing

At the range by myself firing old Winchesters (original BP velocities): foam ear plugs

At the range with modern big guns at neighbouring tables (e.g., 7mm Rem Mag): foam ear plugs plus electronic muffs combined
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I like the soft foam type best for long guns, muffs for hanguns.

I have a pair of the custom molded ones I had fitted at a gun show for $35,but they don't reduce the noise as much as as foam.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Silencio muffs or the rubber plugs. Only use both when on the range with a class of phase 4 shooters. Mostly 9mm and 40 S&W but it still seems loud after 5 or 6 hours. Yeah, I really should buy a set of the custom molded ones with electronic cans in them. Have a big valley in my hearing and constant cicadas ringing so it's mostly too late for me. I even notice the blast when hunting these days. Gotta use a longer barrel or prop the awning type shutters on my shooting house up higher.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

On the range I wear molded plugs and ear muffs. Deer hunting none birds and small game I wear molded plugs.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis