Marksmanship/caliber question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Marksmanship/caliber question

Post by azmark »

I decided to start hunting this year. Work made me miss my hunt, but it's probably just as well. I got myself a .270 and had real trouble shooting it. I can't help flinching every time the durn thing goes off. The recoil doesn't bother me physically, it's actually kind of fun but I couldn't even zero the scope on the bench. I shot 80 rounds and concentrated as hard as I could, but it didn't get any better. Maybe a little worse.

I'm seriously thinking about trading it for a .243 or even a .223 (legal in AZ) so I can get used to shooting a centerfire rifle without jumping and blinking so much. I had a 30-30 briefly but sold it to get a 1911. I only just plinked with the 30-30 at close range and didn't shoot it much before I sold it although it was a blast. I want to hunt deer and hogs but would like to try for an elk if I can get a tag next year. It would be legal to use the .223 for the elk if I hunt in AZ, but I'm guessing I would have to get REALLY close.

Should I go to a lighter caliber to work on marksmanship and go heavier if I hunt elk?
Mark Dickinson
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marksmanship/caliber question

Post by jnyork »

Hey, Mark, get yourself a GOOD air rifle and practice EVERY DAY with it until you can shoot without flinching. Then get a .22 and practice until you can shoot without flinching. Then practice standing with the .22 until you can shoot without flinching. THEN, go to the range with your buddy and your .270 and two or three rounds of ammo that have no powder or primer in them, you can easily make these up at the reloading bench or have someone make them for you. Then, get your buddy to load the magazine of your rifle for you , with him loading some live rounds and dummy rounds at random. Then, try shooting. If you give a mighty flinch on a "click", you buddy will laugh his butt off at you . Repeat as necessary until you quit flinching.

FWIW, I got a .270 when I was about 16, 72 now and still have it. It kicks me over the moon. I never shoot it. Got a .257 Roberts and have hunted with it forever.

.223 is NOT an elk cartridge. OTOH, a miss with a 20mm cannon is still a miss. Dont even think about going hunting until you can shoot accurately from a variety of positions such as you might encounter in the field. Shooting off the bench does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for your markmanship abilities.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jnyork is giving very good advice. Also consider a suppressor; it won't make the gun 'silent' but it could help during range practice, and be removed for hunting. Less-than-maximum loads can help also.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Mark have you tried the low recoil or managed recoil loadings from Remington and Federal
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Leaning into a stout chambering like yours as a feller can when bench shooting can give you a good whalloping!

Good ear protection is a must, noise can cause a pre firing repulsive reaction.

A folded newspaper down yer jacket can spread recoil whilst at a bench.

Consider lifting the gun high off the bench so your back is more verticle thus allowing your upper body to rock back some.

Don't be upset about struggling with recoil, I go through phases about it too. Interestingly, I use to have a 308 that kicked the snot out of me and I promised I would never go back to a 308. Well I did and it is no where near as bad! Different rifle though!! :wink:

Best wishes.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Get back out there with your .270, but don't shoot so many in 1 session.

20 max, or get a better recoil pad so that you can be comfortable and concentrate.

The recoil is going to happen. Relax.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Honestly, I don't consider the .223 more than a varmint rifle. If you didn't have any problem with the 30-30, go back to that.....it's WAY better for big game than a .223.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

If you reload, try some making some reduced loads, or at least go with the lightweight bullets in your 270 to bring the recoil down. Using a 22 to get your basic marksmanship down and then work on the 270.
If you don't reload then you may want to think about trading your 270 in on a 260 rem or 7mm08. Work on your marksmanship(killing the flinch) with a 22 and then go with just a few rounds from the highpower. Not over 10 at a time.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Excellent advise thus far. What it boils down to is, mind over matter. You simply must train yourself to ignore the recoil and blast, and the way to do it is begin with none (dryfiring) and gradually move up the scale. A .22 is good, an airgun even better, and from there the reduced loads available from the big companies are excellent, both mild to shoot and very effective on deer out to more than reasonable ranges. Don't fret over it -- everyone, practically, has been there, and with patience and systematic practice you can beat it.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I agree with those who suggest reduced loads for training/practice.
I only shoot 10 -12 shots of heavy recoiling rounds from the bench to confirm zero
and often much less than that.
A .22 or pellet rifle is great for practice. Practice follow through. Keeping both eyes open during
and after the shot is very important to accuracy.
Lastly, The .270 is a fairly hard kicking round. are you shooting 130 gr. bullets. Find some reduced
recoil ammo to practice with and it is good for hunting also. It don`t give up that much energy wise.

The .223 is NOT a big game round as others have said.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I have a savage 110 in 270 that willmget your attention right quick. A browning. 270 (ported) is a real cream puff. The 30-30 in a 26 in barrel will kill everything you want.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

243WCF will work on elk if you put the bullet in the vitals. So will a 30WCF.,If a 270WCF causes you to flinch. A shot in the heart with the 243 trumps a rump shot with a 270. Spend the year shooting it every chance you get, and your gonna fill your tag next year :wink: Good hunting.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Try a kick-eze ( getting harder to find ) or a limb saver.
But do yourself a favor, find a good stock guy who understands the angle of installation of a recoil pad.
I used to shoot .458 Win. Mag every saturday for five years straight.
When I found a good stock guy who understood my body shape and how it related to the gun, life got a lot more pleasent.
.270 rises to the peak of the pressure curve very quickly, this is probably what you are feeling.
You can shoot this gun, you need to learn how.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

jnyork wrote:Hey, Mark, get yourself a GOOD air rifle and practice EVERY DAY with it until you can shoot without flinching. Then get a .22 and practice until you can shoot without flinching. Then practice standing with the .22 until you can shoot without flinching. THEN, go to the range with your buddy and your .270 and two or three rounds of ammo that have no powder or primer in them, you can easily make these up at the reloading bench or have someone make them for you. Then, get your buddy to load the magazine of your rifle for you , with him loading some live rounds and dummy rounds at random. Then, try shooting. If you give a mighty flinch on a "click", you buddy will laugh his butt off at you . Repeat as necessary until you quit flinching.

FWIW, I got a .270 when I was about 16, 72 now and still have it. It kicks me over the moon. I never shoot it. Got a .257 Roberts and have hunted with it forever.

.223 is NOT an elk cartridge. OTOH, a miss with a 20mm cannon is still a miss. Dont even think about going hunting until you can shoot accurately from a variety of positions such as you might encounter in the field. Shooting off the bench does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for your markmanship abilities.

Great answer, with all the info given you so far should have no problem that practice won't fix.
It is not the critic who counts
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

Does anyone have any suggestions for a reduced load to try?
Mark Dickinson
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

If you load your own you can use the Hogdons youth load data, use 60% of maximum for 4895
guntar
Levergunner 1.0

Post by guntar »

I agree with most of what has been said here. The suggestions about an airgun and/or a 22 rimfire to work on your marksmanship are dead on.

Before you do anything else, weigh your 270 and see what you are dealing with. The trend for the last thirty years has been to go to lighter and lighter on gun weight. The 270 is the quintessential "mountain rifle" caliber and has probably suffered from this treatment as much as any caliber out there. The light weight makes them wonderful to carry and a complete bear to shoot.

The laws of physics are still in force and every action still generates an equal and opposite reaction. Plainly speaking, an air-weight rifle results in a high recoil velocity. The felt recoil can be mitigated somewhat by a good-fitting stock design and one of the better polymer recoil pads. A muzzle brake also reduces felt recoil substantially; which is great if your flinch is induced by pain from the rifle hitting you, but will make it even worse if it is the result of muzzle blast.

Bottom line, if you are shooting one of the lighter weight rifles you may want to either add some weight (very difficult to do without destroying the balance of the rifle) or go to a heavier rifle. My own recommendation for someone who is recoil sensitive would be a 7x57 Mauser tipping the scale at about 8.5 lbs. scoped, loaded and ready to go. The recoil is mild, and you really are elk-capable out to a pretty fair distance, especially with the use of a premium hunting bullet.

But that is just my opinion.
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

Don McDowell wrote:If you load your own you can use the Hogdons youth load data, use 60% of maximum for 4895
What's a good source for inexpensive bullets for practice?
Mark Dickinson
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Because of your caliber, the bore size is a different size from any other; I think your options are limited.
I have taken interest in your case because of your honesty in presenting the problem.
I urge you to not give up on this rifle, I think you can do it, with some coaching.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Probably the best bet for "inexpensive" bullets is to watch for sales on the Remington and Winchester bulk bullets. Sometimes Midway, Grafs and MidSouth will have a sale on blemished bullets from the major manufacturers.
Might be an off chance you could find someone casting bullets for the 270, but that can open a whole nudder can of worms with bullet size, lubes etc....
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Like others have said, you are shooting way too much in one day. I think my .270 is a cream puff, but I doubt I could shoot it accurately for 80 rounds. The recoil and noise is cumlative and wears you out over time.

I also think you need to spend time on a rimfire or airgun until your flinch is gone.

Please do not shoot a elk with a .223. Even the .270 is on the light side. Choose heavy and/or well constructed bullets.

Sometimes Midway sells blemished bullets at highly discounted prices. These should be good for practice, maybe hunting too.

Don't be discouraged. You can handle that rifle. You just have to learn how.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I have a PAST recoil shield I wear on my shoulder when shooting sometimes. It basically spreads the recoil over a broader surface in the chest/shoulder area. Also, a quality pad on the rifle helps a lot. I like Pachmayr Decelerator. Limbsaver and Kickeez are well reputed too.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Many good comments.

I'll reiterate a few.

DON'T lean way in to the gun on the bench, sit with your back as straight as you can, it lessens the felt recoil. I shoot my 338 comfortably that way. Not so much if the gun is low and I have to lean way into it. Sitting (on the ground) and kneeling are good also.

Reduced loads are good to get familiar with the gun, as is a good 22 if similar action type. The standard 130's at about 200-300 fps less velocity should be fine for practice and familiarity.
Less recol, and less muzzle blast.

A good recoil pad makes a difference. I've been happy with Pachmayer Decelerators. I have them set with the toe about 1/8 short of square, as it tends to keep the muzzle from rising as much when fired.

Don't shoot too many rounds at once, have fun with other things, maybe shoot 5-10 rds with the 270 per range session until it doesn't bother you.

One not mentioned, use GOOD hearing protection! Much flinching and trepidation is caused by muzzle blast as much as recoil. I use plugs and muffs on higher intensity rounds. I also use plugs when hunting. After having hearing damage for years, and losing more hearing on a couple game shots, I decided NO game animal was worth losing any more hearing over. When I'm about to shoot, I put them in. Sometimes if I think I'm about to shoot, but still need to hear, I put the left one in and have the right one ready to stick in.

Elk is good eating! Take your time, and dont get flustered. Focus on the animal and the shot. stay cool.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

44 shooter, don't worry. I had no intention of trying to shoot an elk with a .223. I was being a bit facetious, I suppose. My reason for considering the .223 was to have a low-recoil practice rifle. Also, I've been assured that the 100 lb Coues Whitetails we have here can be taken cleanly with a proper .223 load at close distance. I would not make a shot on an animal that I was not completely confident about no matter what caliber I had. I'd feel bad if I wounded an animal and it ran off somewhere to die. Shooting vermin is one thing, a game animal is something else.

I'm thinking I should get a Lee Loader and load practice rounds. It's cheaper than buying a die set and I've had good luck with the one I have for .38s. IMR has recipes using Trail Boss that would be ideal. I'd have to save a bit to get a decent .22 and I think it would be better to use the same rifle for practice that I would use for hunting. Am I right?
Mark Dickinson
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

azmark wrote: I'd have to save a bit to get a decent .22 and I think it would be better to use the same rifle for practice that I would use for hunting. Am I right?
Yes it's best to practice with the same rifle you'll be hunting with, but you need to break bad habits first. A 22 LR will allow you to practice smooth trigger control without flinching. An old trick is to have someone else load each round for you. Every so often they'll load an empty round without you knowing it. If your flinching, it will be pretty darn obvious when a round doesn't go off, but you and/or the rifle does.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Malamute wrote: Elk is good eating! Take your time, and dont get flustered. Focus on the animal and the shot. stay cool.
Truth.

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Lots of good advice.

I agree with the 22 or air rifle approach, too.
If you can shoot a spring-piston air rifle well,
you'll shoot a conventional rifle beautifully.

Watch your front sight or scope crosshairs very
carefully, and try to see any muzzle flash. This little trick
will help you follow through with the shot and help
to eliminate any flinching.

Don't try too many shots in a string, either! Concentrate
on sight picture, follow through, and allowing the trigger
break to surprise you. Accuracy will follow.

Good luck!

-Stretch
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

azmark wrote:I decided to start hunting this year. Work made me miss my hunt, but it's probably just as well. I got myself a .270 and had real trouble shooting it. I can't help flinching every time the durn thing goes off. The recoil doesn't bother me physically, it's actually kind of fun but I couldn't even zero the scope on the bench. I shot 80 rounds and concentrated as hard as I could, but it didn't get any better. Maybe a little worse.

I'm seriously thinking about trading it for a .243 or even a .223 (legal in AZ) so I can get used to shooting a centerfire rifle without jumping and blinking so much. I had a 30-30 briefly but sold it to get a 1911. I only just plinked with the 30-30 at close range and didn't shoot it much before I sold it although it was a blast. I want to hunt deer and hogs but would like to try for an elk if I can get a tag next year. It would be legal to use the .223 for the elk if I hunt in AZ, but I'm guessing I would have to get REALLY close.

Should I go to a lighter caliber to work on marksmanship and go heavier if I hunt elk?
I would start with a 22 rimfire and work up. I frankly would not use a .223 on anything larger than coyotes. It is not even legal for deer in the states I hunt in. I would even think the .270 would be light for elk. Many elk absolutely have been cleanly killed with a .270, but I prefer something much heavier for elk.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

buckeyeshooter wrote:
azmark wrote:I decided to start hunting this year. Work made me miss my hunt, but it's probably just as well. I got myself a .270 and had real trouble shooting it. I can't help flinching every time the durn thing goes off. The recoil doesn't bother me physically, it's actually kind of fun but I couldn't even zero the scope on the bench. I shot 80 rounds and concentrated as hard as I could, but it didn't get any better. Maybe a little worse.

I would start with a 22 rimfire and work up. I frankly would not use a .223 on anything larger than coyotes. It is not even legal for deer in the states I hunt in. I would even think the .270 would be light for elk. Many elk absolutely have been cleanly killed with a .270, but I prefer something much heavier for elk.
A .270, light for elk :shock:
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

[quote=" the .270 would be light for elk. quote]

When you get to heaven, Jack O'Connor is going to have a word with you!! :shock:
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:roll: 270 lite for elk, or any version thereof, spells , Pilgrim :lol:
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I have never done the reduced load thing. But, it does seem to have merit in that you will be using the same rifle in your practice. Just be aware that point of impact and trajectory will not be the same as full power loads and will require a different sight in.

As for the .270...When you grow up reading and hearing that the 270, or something close to it, is about perfect for 150 lb deer; it is hard to imagine that it is fully adequate for 800 lb trophy bull elk. I don't know. I have only seen a live elk at the zoo in Asheboro. He was a lot bigger than any whitetail I have ever seen, but I expect a a 140 grain TBBC would take him out.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Didnt Elmer Keith ay the 270 was a decent varmint cartridge, or was it the 264 he was talking about. I have a set of 270 dies if you want them. Jus pay the shipping.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

44shooter wrote:I have never done the reduced load thing. But, it does seem to have merit in that you will be using the same rifle in your practice. Just be aware that point of impact and trajectory will not be the same as full power loads and will require a different sight in.

As for the .270...When you grow up reading and hearing that the 270, or something close to it, is about perfect for 150 lb deer; it is hard to imagine that it is fully adequate for 800 lb trophy bull elk. I don't know. I have only seen a live elk at the zoo in Asheboro. He was a lot bigger than any whitetail I have ever seen, but I expect a a 140 grain TBBC would take him out.
The cartridge made its reputation with 130 or 150 gr cup and core bullets, dropping elk like thors hammer.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

You have a lot of good suggestions here to effectively resolve your flinching problem. Here are a couple more:

1. Get yourself a LimbSaver strap on shoulder recoil pad. You can find them new on eBay for around $20.

2. Instead of buying an air rifle then buying a 22 LR, just buy a good non-semi auto 22 and start out with low velocity 22ammo. I forget the brand at this hour (the name starts with "C") but it's so low velocity and quiet guys shoot squirrels in their subdivision back yards. As I recall, the low velocity ammo is in the range of 200-300 fps as opposed to 1200 fps for standard velocity 22 LR. (I think I have those fps about right.) The low velocity 22 ammo shoots accurately up to 10 to 15 yards depending on which cartridge you shoot...standard low velocity or Super.

3. If you have a quality .270 you like, consider getting it Magna-Ported to reduce perceived recoil. This is a much better way to go than a muzzle brake. http://www.magnaport.com/

4. If you don't like your rifle but like the .270 Win cartridge...I do...consider a newer Winchester Model 70 Classic which comes with a pachmyer decellorato buttpad.

Good luck! You are well along on the right path.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

the caliber you picked is on the charts as being just in the range of what most people find to be too high recoil. I've stayed away from it for that reason. I don't like recoil or noise. I have gotten nauseous from shooting 35 Rem and 12 gauge on the bench - but in the field it's a different story. I've fired each of those at game and not even noticed it, and got off good shots. Wearing a vest or jacket helps, holding the gun standing up helps, and the adrenaline you get when you see game helps.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Think about this. Buy a H&R single shot with the late model Frame(SB2) in 223, 204, or 22 hornet. Practice up with one of these light recoil rounds, then send the reciever to H&R and get the caliber of your choice for about $100. That way you can practice with the actual rifle you will be using, at least the stock and trigger will be the same. Some times you can find the Rossi single shots in a set up with a .22 barrel,shotgun, barrel, and center fire rifle barrel.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The way the stock fits you is certainly a factor to look into. 80 rounds of centerfire in a range session is more than most people that I talk to will usually fire. You might want to take a .22 and shoot a few, pick up the .270 and shoot 3, shoot the .22 some more while the .270 cools back to ambient temperature, then shoot 3 more. Besides, switching off at the range can be fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Lot of good advice here.

80 rounds of .270 is about 50 rounds too much for most people.

I've shot 80 rounds of .30-06 in one session off the bench and kept it under minute of angle, but I've also got 20+ years experience with large caliber rifles and at the time, I was a 22 year old masochist shooting free rounds. :) My shoulder did not thank me later. I once loaded four not five rounds about 60 into the session on accident and my spotter (providing both the rifle and ammo, which I was fireforming into .30 Gibb) said I had effectively perfect form since when I got a click instead of a boom the gun didn't even twitch. Using a couple snap caps and someone else loading your mag will help there.

Things to think about: Are you shooting under a covered bench? That amplifies the muzzle blast considerably, having done a lot of shooting under covered benches and indoors with rifles.

Are you using muffs, plugs, or both? In your case, I would suggest 'both' as it'll seal the noise off better.

Using a .22 rifle as a de-flincher and trainer helps. Another trick is one I did to a friend who had the same issue with .308. His groups were excellent and he knew how to shoot fine, but he flinched. So I had him bag the gun, aim, do everything BUT pull the trigger. Which I did. He nailed the target three for three quite nicely, which proved to him it was the recoil flinch, not anything else messing him up. Some work with a .22 got him over it.

If you're going for a .22 trainer, the Savage Mark II is cheap (around $100-150ish I think) and a full size 'man gun' not a kid sized version. Stick a basic $100 scope on there and blast away all day long practicing the basics at 50-100 yards. Shooting a .22 WELL at 100m is as hard as shooting a .270 at 300.

A non-factory recoil pad is definitely an option and some of the other advice is solid. The .270 is an excellent caliber capable of taking nearly any North African game. It's overkill on prairie dogs and coyotes and light for bear, but otherwise, it'll get it done.

I use a 7mm Mauser myself because the deal was excellent (free is free) and it's in the same class, since the 7mm Mauser inspired the U.S Army to adopt the .30-06 (the .270 is a necked down .30-06).

This last weekend a coyote decided one round was enough, though we finished it off with a .45 ACP, the 7mm literally dropped it in it's tracks.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Bag the stock when you shoot from the bench.

You would be surprised as to how much energy is absorbed by the 2# weight of the bag.

I used to place a shot bag on top of the wrist, behind the bolt allowing for full use of the sights/scope for my kids. They learned to never having to blink due to recoil.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Don McDowell wrote::roll: 270 lite for elk, or any version thereof, spells , Pilgrim :lol:
Sorry guys. I went to the Elmer Keith school of cartridge selection. Notice I said many use the .270---- but its not my choice. :lol:
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

buckeyeshooter wrote:
Don McDowell wrote::roll: 270 lite for elk, or any version thereof, spells , Pilgrim :lol:
Sorry guys. I went to the Elmer Keith school of cartridge selection. Notice I said many use the .270---- but its not my choice. :lol:
Watch out for the gunwriters or you be busting squirrels with a 416 rem magnum as a minimum. :lol:
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

azmark wrote:...I shot 80 rounds...

You've been given excellent advice. I would say that session was about 60-65 rounds too much. I have a Marlin 375, it's a thumper, not nearly into the class of magnums, but... a 220grain bullet clockin' 2200fps is still much for an old guy, who doesn't shoot a lot, and has bursitis(sp?) in his right shoulder from shooting all kinds of rifles, but lever, bolt, single-shot, semi- and full auto in his life. I'd taken the scope off this rifle to get some idea of what was possible with different ammo in the AR. So, it needed to be re-sighted in. So at 50 yards, I shot 2 shots with the cross-hairs on the same POA. From that 2-round group I was able to make an adjustment that allowed me to get the next 2 centered. Unfortunately I over adjusted and had to redo that centering adjustment That 2 confirmed that was correct. Another adjustment to lower the POI, was confirmed with the following 2 about halfway to the bull and still centered. Another 2 shots got me into the top of the '7' ring, with another 2 shots to get down into the 9 ring, just about right to put me into the 'X' ring at 100 yards. Total shots: 12. Quite enough for one shooting session. My shoulder feels it today. I also shot some 30 rounds of .223 thru the AR to get the RedDot back on target after removing it and putting it back. Plus a little one on one competition with my son. I won one, he won one!

And even if my should is a little sore today, I won't be shooting again today... unless another coyote makes an appearance! I might shoot some more tomorrow. But, since my reloading bench still needs rebuilding, I'll start on that tomorrow. Today will be cleaning brass and maybe reloading some of that I shot yesterday.

I did load up 10 rounds of mixed brass with WSR primers, 26 grains of BL-C(2) and 60 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip® Varmints for an estimated 3050fps. I probably need to bump those up another ½-¾ grain to get them into the same 2" circle the 55 grain factory loads are landing in. But, knowing my shooting, 100 yards will be a long shot on coyotes, so until I get a day with less wind to develop some more loads, I'll call that good. All I need is the shellplate for the 550B.

Now... where's them coyotes? :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!