Old wanted poster put out by W.L. Wright Texas Ranger.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Old wanted poster put out by W.L. Wright Texas Ranger.

Post by rangerider7 »

This is a nice item. They are hard to find because most were torn up and thrown away. Will Wright was sheriff of Wilson County, Texas when this poster was issued somewhere between 1902-17. It is an original poster. Here is the "Texas Ranger Hall Of Fame" information on him.

http://www.texasranger.org/halloffame/W ... illiam.htm

Captain Will Wright is seated and his brother Milam is standing. Milam is a well known Texas Ranger himself. Will's son Dogie was a Texas Ranger too.

Capt Will Wright is in the middle with the glasses on, Capt. Tom Hickman is on his right. Two man over from Hickman's right is Capt. Frank Hamer.

Here is the poster in my case. Capt. Wright carried a nickel Colt SAA 45 with pearl grips but that one is not it. :D

I thought y'all might like to see the poster, they are rare. I also got a 1917 letter that was sent to Texas Ranger J.W. Schrock from M.M. Duffey asking about how to apply for a State Pension. They were both Texas Rangers in the 1970s. Schrock later opened the COW BOY SALOON in Spanish Fort, Texas. Spanish Fort was the crossing point of the Chisholm Trail into Oklahoma until it moved father east to Doan's crossing. What stories Schrock and his saloon could tell. I don't have a photo it is just a 3 page letter and envelope. RR7
Last edited by rangerider7 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That'll Be The Day"
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Picked up old wanted poster of W.L. Wright Texas Ranger.

Post by 2ndovc »

That's really cool!

$10! Back when $10 meat something!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
1894c

Re: Old wanted poster put out by W.L. Wright Texas Ranger.

Post by 1894c »

rangerider7 -- that is really neat stuff...again, love the history...that poster and info looks similar to paper and computer notices we get on fleeing felons or wanted individuals...Law Enforcement hasn't changed much...although I don't think you'll ever see a Glock 22 in .40S&W with a Blackhawk or Safariland plastic duty holster in a glass display case... :)
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Cool and interesting post as usual.. 8)
RR7 I'm interested in that dagger, was that style of knife common in the old West?
I have a bone handled knife with a similar blade but thought of it more medieval period than Western.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Knife designs don't change much over time, especially for daggers.

There's a common folding Spanish blade used originally by herdsmen and field workers but later just about everyone, name currently escapes me, that is a 'big' knife (5-6" blade I think) not some little penknife, and is still reasonably common over there according to a Spanish Marine (Theirs, not ours) I know. That blade design and construction literally has not changed, pretty much at all, for 400 years.

If the design works, they tend to 'stick'.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That is very cool! :D On another note, I wonder if he is any relation to our very own M.M. Wright, as he had relatives in L.E.----------MM...you there?------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

game keeper, daggers or bowies were carried by most Texas rangers up until well after the "Turn of the Century". They were use for killing as well as camp work and eating. All sizes are seen in old photos. RR7

"That'll Be The Day"
grouse
Levergunner 1.0

Post by grouse »

Rangerider7, I have to thank you for all your posts of vintage western pics. I truely enjoy them. They inspired enough to make a stop at the Ranger muesum in Waco this past Oct. the wife & I really enjoyed it as we enjoyed the great state of Texas!

Keep up the good work!