Wild hog hunting in central Florida

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Wild hog hunting in central Florida

Post by t.r. »

Last week we enjoyed a vacation time near Sebring with my wife's family. One evening I went out with Uncle Jerry for some hog hunting at night over baited areas. He uses shelled corn as bait. My rifle was a borrowed 303 Enfield with duct-tapped flashlight in place. But Uncle Jerry hunted with his Marlin 336 in 30-30 fitted with an illuminated scope. We set up with folding lawn chairs about 75 yards from the bait.

About 9PM we heard hog activity. Uncle Jerry shot a medium sized boar pig through the head but I missed. The iron sights were difficult to see. We quickly buried the boar in sandy soil. Then we moved to another location. About 10:15PM we heard activity and again Uncle Jerry took down a hog with a well placed head shot. This one was a sow. We dressed out the sow future BBQ.

In summary, central Florida has a lot of wild hogs and permission is easy to get I'm told. I had a great time even though I didn't score. Sorry for no photos; I left our camera at home in Pennsylvania.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Wild hog hunting in central Florida

Post by RIHMFIRE »

:D :D :D
whens the BBQ? :wink:

all the hogs in east central florida have been bbq'd
have not seen any for quite some time!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

t.r. wrote:

In summary, central Florida has a lot of wild hogs and permission is easy to get I'm told.

TR
From what I understand, most of the farm and ranch land is leased out to clubs and outfitters. Unless someting has changed in recent times.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Why did you bury one and keep the other?
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

bigbore442001 wrote:
t.r. wrote:

In summary, central Florida has a lot of wild hogs and permission is easy to get I'm told.

TR
From what I understand, most of the farm and ranch land is leased out to clubs and outfitters. Unless someting has changed in recent times.
thats correct...
if its not federal state or county land...its leased by hunters..
theres a 12000 acre lease right across the highway...and dues are $3000/year
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS