Puma or Marlin .357?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Puma or Marlin .357?

Post by azmark »

How do the Puma and Marlin leverguns compare in .357? They seem to be priced comparably.
Mark Dickinson
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

My answer is going to short and biased. They don't compare, buy a Marlin!
tcomer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by tcomer »

I'll admit I don't own a Marlin, but if you want to put optics on it, go with the Marlin. Otherwise, I love my Pumas in 357 and 44 mag.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

John Browning or John Marlin? I think it's a design preference though if you prefer made in USA you have one choice (Marlin). I love the lines of the Browning classic 1892 (Puma), but the simplicity and ease of maintenance of the Marlin design also scores points. I don't own a 92 yet but have been a Marlin 1894 shooter for 32 years and I highly recommend them.
skinnygun
Levergunner

Post by skinnygun »

My Puma smooth to lever a round no under stock safety to press to shoot.Haven't shot a Marlin yet.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

I have both. You can't scope a Puma, but if that's not an issue then take it off the board.
I like the looks of the Puma better.
The fit & finish of the Marlin is better.
I slicked up the Puma and it cycles much smoother.
I prefer the Marlin sights.
I got a used, pre-safety Puma for about $100 less than the new Marlin.
Similar accuracy.
Because I like the looks better and it cycles more smoothly I prefer the Puma.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

I have a Marlin 94 in both .357 & 45C. I have a Puma in both .357 and 45 C. They are all fine rifles but different. I have been lucky because the fit and finish on the Pumas is great, as I understand some people have had some problem with this. The fit and finish is also great in the Marlins. In the 45C I prefere the Pumas cause I just love the Browning strong design that you can do more hunting loads with. In the .357, the puma actually shoots better groups. I prefere the Marlin in CAS as it is a smoother action. In full disclosure though, I might be a little partial to the Browning/Win. design over the looks of the Marlin.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Had a Marlin 94 in 44 mag.Own two Puma's in 45 Colt.The 92 when well executed (fit&finish&timed)is to me one of the slickest leveractions.The LSI puma octagon barrel version swings like a shotgun and is drilled & tapped in the tang for a flipup peepsight.Have shot on several occasions a friend's Puma 92 in 357 mag and it is a very accurate combo. :D
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Marlin!
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Marlins are Buicks
Pumas are Plymouths

"value" goes to Marlin. I have one I am very happy with... early 80 SN

If I could find a pre safety Puma I dont think I pay quite as much as I would for a pre-safety Marlin

Puma's and Rossis tune up well enough and we see a few here that have nice wood with a little work

Jeff
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

I love my Marlin. Fit an finish are great and it shoots better than I do :D
when your enemy is within range so are you
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

My Rossi 92 ain't quite as slick as my old Winchester 92 32-20 but it is a 92 and just feels good.My grandsons Marlin is a real slick little gun but it ain't a 92. They are both .357's. You try them both and buy what feels good to you.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I tore my hair out for months trying to work that question out.
I eventually settled on the Marlin cowboy with the 20" octagonal barrel, and I am happy with that.
Two things you may want to consider are whether you may want to scope it and how often you will want to take it apart for cleaning and maintainance. The Marlin is easier to scope and easier to strip. I understand the 92 is a real pita to strip, especially in the field.
One point the Puma has over the Marlin is action strength, so if you plan to reload high end type loads or use a lot of those high end type factory loads then go the Puma.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

You can't get a Marlin in Stainless.

You don't have to worry about the "Dreaded Marlin Jam" and replacing/fixing the carrier on a Rossi.

The Rossis are technically Stronger. (ever see a .454 M94?)

OTOH,

You have to use a long-eye relief/scout scope on a Rossi

Rossis are made in Brazil.

Pick & choose. Other than Stainless there is no serious advantage to either IMO.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Easy answer , find a shop that has both , handle them side by side ,and pick the one that feels the best to you. :D
The other things have all been mentioned. I'll opine that in .357 , action strength is a non-issue.
Phil
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Get what you like. Get the Rossi/EMF from Steve's Gunz or a Marlin just about anywhere.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson