Any Turkey Hunters?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Any Turkey Hunters?

Post by ohwin94_61 »

Well about time to hit the woods in search of the thunder chicken any others out there done any scouting or pattern you guns :?:
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I've been wanting to go, but due to a family crisis I haven't.

"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

First time turkey hunter

Post by rjohns94 »

I am giving it a try for the first time this year. Scouted alot during the previous hunting seasons and I will be in the woods over the next few weeks to check them out. Season starts here in 4/26 for a month. I will be using my hammer Midland round body SXS in 12ga for the hunt.

Good luck to all who venture afield this spring. Wishing you safety and success.

blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I don't really need to do any scouting. Our turkeys are always found in the same places year after year. Don't need to pattern my shotgun either. I've been working on the same box of shells for several years. They last a while when you only use one or two a year. :wink: I am very much looking forward to getting in the woods. This winter has been too long!
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

I've gone 2-2 when I've applied for turkey tags. One turkey I shot with a Vaquero .44 and the other with a Super Blackhawk .44.
My wife is due with our first baby in about 6 weeks, smack in the middle of turkey season, so I didn't apply for a tag this year.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

season doesn't start here until late april. extral full choke,#4 2/3 magnums pattern well and have worked in the past for me.
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

TedH wrote:I don't really need to do any scouting. Our turkeys are always found in the same places year after year. Don't need to pattern my shotgun either. I've been working on the same box of shells for several years. They last a while when you only use one or two a year. :wink: I am very much looking forward to getting in the woods. This winter has been too long!
Sounds kinda dull
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

ohwin94_61 wrote:
TedH wrote:I don't really need to do any scouting. Our turkeys are always found in the same places year after year. Don't need to pattern my shotgun either. I've been working on the same box of shells for several years. They last a while when you only use one or two a year. :wink: I am very much looking forward to getting in the woods. This winter has been too long!
Sounds kinda dull
No, not really. I still get all the excitement of the chase and hunt, I just skip the pre-season stuff that I don't have time for anyway. I'm usually lucky if I get to hunt a couple weekends during the season.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Not much action in and around Whitney, Texas yet. They started the season a little early this year and I don't think the turkeys knew it! I saw quite a few in west Texas but the season had not opened yet. The hogs and coyotes were plentiful though. My buddy is supposed to send some photos of the hunt. We'll see!
"That'll Be The Day"
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

Yep, I was up to my farm lease this past week end. Scouted to flocks each with about 20 birds. One flock had about 6 polts (spelling) which is way early, but they were there. I got my Mossburg 12 ga. 3 1/2mags ready to go. The season doesn't start here 'till April 12 though.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

These Easterns here don't make much vocalization which make them tuff Lets here about what subspecies your hunting there quite difficult to get a fix on there roost :o
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

TedH wrote:
ohwin94_61 wrote:
Sounds kinda dull
No, not really. I still get all the excitement of the chase and hunt, I just skip the pre-season stuff that I don't have time for anyway. I'm usually lucky if I get to hunt a couple weekends during the season.
I hear what your saying Bro :shock:
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Got mine 2 weeks ago.....
and may go again this weekend...
Good luck.....bust a big thunder chicken
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

RIHMFIRE wrote:Got mine 2 weeks ago.....
I love that picture and the colors in that bird. That should be on a calendar somewhere.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

I will be in the woods with my hunting buddies for "THEE" big bird on May 15th. Can't hardly wait. It's fun time again. I am 3 for 3 so far.Hope my luck continues !!!!!!!!!
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Our season opened Saturday, 29 Mar and I was all pumped up to go. Well, there is still a LOT of snow on the ground and the temps in the morning are down around 10º. Too cold for my old bones. Were suppose to get a warming trend next week so I'll go then.

RIHMFIRE -

Got to agree with Rimfire McNutjob that that picture is absolutely gorgeous. Very, very nice.
ED
Yer never too old
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

The turkey on our place come by fairly often in .38-55 range.
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

Our season opened Saturday. I called up a nice gobbler for my 17 year old son. His first mature bird. 10 inch beard and 1 inch spurs. Tennessee is shotgun only and the fun is in callin 'em in close. I'll post a picture tomorrow.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

At least everyone one here can hunt Thunder Chickens that are vocal I wish these birds here where that's why I'm having a hard time :(
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Season doesn't start until later in April here. I'll do my scouting the last two weeks before opening day to see where this years birds are patterning. By opening day I'll have an idea of where the roosting spots are for particular birds and know which way to walk to listen for them. I can hear birds from my front porch sometimes and then it's easy to figure which way to go. Nothing gets my blood going more than to hear a roaring gobble in the dark.
I may walk more by 8am than most folks will all day. Bring on the spring. Wheeeee!
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
RIHMFIRE wrote:Got mine 2 weeks ago.....
I love that picture and the colors in that bird. That should be on a calendar somewhere.
HE WAS MIGHTY TASTY TOO!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Yes...the only thing I hunt back here. I will use either of my Grandfather's two single shots: the H and R on Left or the Winchester Mod. 37(3rd from left). Just depends on how I feel. I use a Penns Woods box call....never been able to master the diaphram calls.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8