OT - TX Teen Silver Star (2nd Female Since WWII)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

OT - TX Teen Silver Star (2nd Female Since WWII)

Post by don Tomás »

Thought this was pretty cool. Thank you Spc. Monica!
Tom
(Don't mess with Texas...:D )

Lake Jackson teen awarded Silver Star for gallantry in Afghanistan
Proud grandmother says she 'just did what she was trained to do'

Army Spc. Monica Lin Brown is the second woman since World War II to be awarded the Silver Star.
The Silver Star

• CRITERIA: Awarded to a person who, while serving in any capacity with the U.S. Army, is cited for gallantry in action.

• DESCRIPTION: A gold star, 1.5 inches in circumscribing diameter with a laurel wreath encircling rays from the center and a 3/16 inch diameter silver star superimposed in the center. The pendant is suspended from a rectangular shaped metal loop with rounded corners. The reverse has the inscription "For gallantry in action"

• BACKGROUND: The Citation Star was established by Congress on July 9, 1918. On July 19, 1932, the Secretary of War approved the Silver Star medal to replace the Citation Star. Authorization for the Silver Star was placed into law by an Act of Congress for the Navy on August 7, 1942 and an Act of Congress for the Army on December 15, 1942.

Source: The Institute of Heraldry

Dodging insurgent gunfire, a 19-year-old Lake Jackson soldier used her body to shield five injured comrades after a roadside bomb struck her convoy in Afghanistan last spring. That act of bravery has earned her the Silver Star.

Army Spc. Monica Lin Brown is only the second woman since World War II to receive the medal, one of the nation's highest military awards given for gallantry in combat.

''She just did what she was trained to do," her 74-year-old grandmother, Katy Brown, said from her Lake Jackson home on Sunday.

Monica Brown, a medic, was part of a four-vehicle convoy patrolling near Jani Kheil in the eastern province of Paktia when a bomb struck one of the Humvees on April 25, military officials said.

After the explosion, she braved insurgent gunfire and mortars to reach five wounded soldiers. She shielded them as she administered aid and helped drag them to safety, the military said.

"I did not really think about anything except for getting the guys to a safer location and getting them taken care of and getting them out of there," Monica Brown told The Associated Press on Saturday from a U.S. base in the province of Khowst.

Katy Brown said her granddaughter graduated from Brazos River Charter School in Morgan at 15. She joined the Army with her brother, Justin Brown, in November 2006 to get a college education, Katy Brown said.

She said she is not surprised by her granddaughter's heroics.

''She's just a strong, strong young woman, and she's very caring," Katy Brown said.

Monica Brown told her grandmother she didn't have time to be scared.

She just jumped into action and ''made medics out of those infantry men," Katy Brown said.

Monica Brown, of the 4th Squadron, 73rd Cavalry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, said ammunition going off inside the burning Humvee was sending shrapnel in all directions. She said they were sitting in a dangerous spot.

"So, we dragged them for 100 or 200 meters, got them away from the Humvee a little bit," she said. "I was in a kind of a robot-mode, did not think about much but getting the guys taken care of."

Might leave in April

Monica Brown knew all five wounded soldiers. She said they eventually moved the wounded about 500 yards away and treated them on site before putting them on a helicopter for evacuation.

She is expected to leave Afghanistan on April 15, but Katy Brown didn't know when her granddaughter would arrive home or where she would receive the medal.

Mary Moreno, founder of Military Moms in Lake Jackson, said Monica Brown deserves the medal because she is a giving person.

''When she came home last April, she was an inspiration to all of us," Moreno said. "She became one of us and said, 'What can I do?' "

Made care packages

Monica Brown helped the group pack care packages for soldiers, Moreno said. She also helped them tie yellow ribbons on trees along Oyster Creek Drive in Lake Jackson in honor of the soldiers, she said.

''She is just an amazing young woman who is very down to earth and full of life," Moreno said.

The military said Brown's "bravery, unselfish actions and medical aid rendered under fire saved the lives of her comrades and represents the finest traditions of heroism in combat."

Sgt. Leigh Ann Hester, of Nashville, Tenn., received the Silver Star in 2005 for gallantry during an insurgent ambush on a convoy in Iraq. Two men from Hester's unit, the 617th Military Police Company of Richmond, Ky., also received the Silver Star for their roles in the same action. [/img]
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

A wonderfuly role model for America's youth. Here's a salute to her!!
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

jnyork wrote:A wonderfuly role model for America's youth. Here's a salute to her!!
Can you imagine a 19 year old Spc with a Silver Star? Pretty hard for one of you old crusty NCO's to yell at her for her shoes being unshined... :D

BTW - I was at Travis AFB on Saturday visiting my youngest. He's assigned to avionics on KC-10's. He loves the AF. I did too (late 60's - RC-135's Combat Apple). Welcome home, brother.
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

What a wonderful, brave soldier!!!! Congratulations, and a hearty salute to her. And she is beautiful too!!!!!!! God Bless Her!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Hooah!
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

Sure wish the youth in America would use her as a role model instead of Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lowhan. Thanks and a hardy salute.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Outstanding. OORAH!
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent! :D

There is hope after all (trust me, after spending the last 3 days with 4th graders, I was beginning to wonder!!!) :shock:
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Ahemm! Another Texan to be proud of!