floppy recoil pad

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

floppy recoil pad

Post by FLINT »

Hi all,

i bought a slip on winchester/limbmaster recoil pad at walmart for my shotgun project. I removed 1 1/2 inch from the stock on my gun to compensate for the one inch thick pad and because I wanted the LOP a little shorter anyways.

I haven't shot the gun with the pad yet, but when I pull the gun up, if I pull the stock into my shoulder too firmly, the pad kind tips out to the side. its like the slip on part that goes over the stock isn't firm enough to hold the pad in line when you push on it.

has anyone experienced this with this or other slip on pads? is there a fix for this?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: floppy recoil pad

Post by Blaine »

You might have to countersink a couple long wood screws in it.... :?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

Slip-ons come in small, medium and large. You heed the next smaller size so it will be tight on the stock.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Cast Bullet Hunter wrote:Slip-ons come in small, medium and large. You heed the next smaller size so it will be tight on the stock.

I have the correct size - I have size small. the dimensions of the cut end of the stock are the maximum dimensions for the small sized pad. it fits tight, its just the the material is so soft and floppy it won't hold it in place.

I'm wondering if I should glue it on - but then it wouldn't be "slip-on" any more.

I don't think I want to counter sink any wood screws into this recoil pad - its all just super soft rubber. There is no hard material at all in it. I think If I put a screw in it, it would either tear through it or give me some nice screw shaped bruises in my shoulder.
wfo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wfo »

Maybe you could take it back and get something like a Pachmayer White Line Recoil Pad that screws on.
We the people are the Rightful Masters of both Congress and the Courts. Not to overthrow The Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert The Constitution.

Abraham Lincoln
LAW483
Levergunner

Post by LAW483 »

wfo wrote:Maybe you could take it back and get something like a Pachmayer White Line Recoil Pad that screws on.
I second that thought. As you have already cut the stock, I would think properly installing a recoil pad would be a more satisfying move. Grinding a pad to fit was my "Gateway Drug" to custom stock work.

Take Care,

Tony
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

I use two different brands of slip-on recoil pad, been using 'em for years. Both styles move around a little bit but that does not in any way reduce the effectiveness.

Cheers,

Carl
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I think I might try a little double edged tape to see if that holds it place a little better, and if that doesn't work, I may try a grind to fit pad.

I don't think it would be a big deal if it was on something that kicked less than a 12 ga with slugs - but I'm thinking that I want the pad to really be in the right place all the time for this particular use.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

You can call it what you want but if my "recoil pad" was floppy, I don't think I'd be chattin about it on the internet! Just sayin! :lol:
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

handirifle wrote:You can call it what you want but if my "recoil pad" was floppy, I don't think I'd be chattin about it on the internet! Just sayin! :lol:
haha, you found me out. i was trying to be discrete

but yeah bending to the side when you push too hard on it would definitely be a problem
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Since you've already done the slice n dice on the stock, I would look into something like the Benelli design with some sort of shock absorber system built in. Would work great on a scattergun with no scope eye relief issue to be concerned about.

Not really sure if there are after market versions but worth lookin into.
LAW483
Levergunner

Post by LAW483 »

handirifle wrote:Since you've already done the slice n dice on the stock, I would look into something like the Benelli design with some sort of shock absorber system built in. Would work great on a scattergun with no scope eye relief issue to be concerned about.

Not really sure if there are after market versions but worth lookin into.
There are options like that in Brownells.

Take Care,

Tony