336 sights- Farm Use Tough? Skinner? Williams? XS?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JcJ78

336 sights- Farm Use Tough? Skinner? Williams? XS?

Post by JcJ78 »

I am leaning Skinner cause I think they look toughest. Anyone's experience run counter? Thanks.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 336 sights- Farm Use Tough? Skinner? Williams? XS?

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
I have one set of Skinners and I do not see them breaking witout one real hard impact.
I have numerous rifles with Williams receiver sites. Been using them for at least 35 years. Have never had one break. But I try to be reasonably careful not to throw my rifles or drop them. But they get bumped, nudged and plopped a bit here and there. So far no williams sight has broke. I did bend a steel sight on a Krag. It got wapped somehow I guess by a tree trunk while I was out "scouting" the river bottoms. When I finally saw it bent I unbent it as straight as I thought it needed. Never leave home without a good sturdy multi'tool. Next time I shot it it was within minute of groundhog at 30 yards.
Would a Skinner have bent... I do not think so. But then they cost at least 3x what I pay for good used Williams sights. But even the used williams are going up.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

hi--i've use all three, and have used all three in tough conditions--if i had to pick one for a farm 336 i would go with "skinner", simply because i like the choice of the apertures (not a big fan of the ghost ring). as for me i presently use a williams reciever and a XS-Sights front sight... :)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Never had a Williams, Lyman or Redfield break. Of course I don't throw my rifles into the bed of the farm truck as I've seen several farmers do.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Any of the above mentioned sights will serve you well.
That said I would chose the Skinner for hard use just because they are simple.
No need for adjustments after initial sight in. :wink:
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Willaims is an exceptionally sturdy sight.

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

They are all pretty tough. I have Williams FP's on everything just about, and never a problem, even with 'rough service' rifles.

Consider the Williams WGRS, too - more streamlined than either the Williams FP (which is the best-adjustable) or the Skinner (which would be nice to be more streamlined like the WGRS or to have protective 'ears' on it like the Brockman).

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/572708 ... ubv1681364

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/681364 ... inum-black

I keep the aperture out for a faster-shoooting 'ghost ring' effect...

If you don't mind a barrel-mounted sight, the Marble's Bullseye's are tough as nails; I've TRIED to bend one when doing a modification project, and they are springy tough steel. Also FAST to use and once sighted in won't go out of adjustment.

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JcJ78

Post by JcJ78 »

Thanks y'all. I ordered a set of Fire Sights Peeps. I would've bought Skinner's XA, but I got the Williams for half the price, and free shipping. Since nobody warned me away from them I figured i'd give em a whirl. I am not THAT hard on stuff but when you carry a rifle on the farm you do bump it into stuff sometimes while you get on and off equipment and it seems like every other day it falls over from whatever it leaned against while I was using a hammer or a shovel.
Anyhow thanks for the advice.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

JcJ78 wrote: I am not THAT hard on stuff but when you carry a rifle on the farm you do bump it into stuff sometimes while you get on and off equipment and it seems like every other day it falls over from whatever it leaned against while I was using a hammer or a shovel.
Anyhow thanks for the advice.
Glad to hear you follow safe gun handling rules, I would suppose you have one chambered and the hammer back at all times right?

Never know when you are going to be attacked by a wild grizz on the farm, so you need that 336 ready to go, right?

Steve
JcJ78

Post by JcJ78 »

I tend not to have to load for bear here. The .30-30 is now my truck gun, so it'll probably have 4 in the tube. I almost never keep a round in the chamber of a levergun, cause it loads so fast. Really the only time I carry it hot is when I'm sitting in a deer blind. But I will use it on the farm. I grow soybeans, and I usually get a nuisance kill permit and shoot deer all year as needed to keep em from eating me broke.
You sound kinda sore that my rifle falls over sometimes. You're more than welcome to come follow me around and tote it for me. I'll even let you ride on a tractor with me, like my old bulldog does.

Like you said, no griz, just big coons. That's why the first two in my Judge are #6. Mostly its rats that fall to my sidearm. Probably the most common shot I fire on the farm is a #6 that gets sent up in the air, with the report used to get someone across the field's attention when we're on a farm that don't get good cell reception.

Thanks again for all th help
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

JcJ78 wrote:Probably the most common shot I fire on the farm is a #6 that gets sent up in the air, with the report used to get someone across the field's attention when we're on a farm that don't get good cell reception.
:roll:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
JcJ78

Post by JcJ78 »

sore shoulder wrote:
JcJ78 wrote:Probably the most common shot I fire on the farm is a #6 that gets sent up in the air, with the report used to get someone across the field's attention when we're on a farm that don't get good cell reception.
:roll:
Thanks for the advice. What kind of grown man doesn't have anything better to do than stalk General Discussion posts and try to instigate arguments.

Last I checked this was a levergun forum, not AR15.com. I dare say there is not a single person here who carries their gun more than me, and I doubt any of them are shooting a lot of rougr grizzlies or renegade comanches.

Grow up. Stop embarassing that cute little sister of yours.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

JcJ78 wrote: What kind of grown man doesn't have anything better to do than stalk General Discussion posts and try to instigate arguments.

Grow up. Stop embarassing that cute little sister of yours.
Same could be said of you, coming to a nice place and start arguments, albeit in the political section, and take cheap shots at fellow board members.

You have proved you Obama credentials over at the politics section, and you prove you utter lack of firearm safety on the General Discussion side, so I will call you out now, Troll.

Steve
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Rifles, by their very nature, Need and Deserve more meticulous care than, say, a round-mouth shovel, or a handyman jack... Safety and common courtesy demand that you Not just lean a rifle up against the nearest prop, without making sure that it will not fall over at the slightest provocation..

As far as "signaling" goes -- what happened to the notion of a good ol' CB radio, both mobile and pocket varieties..?
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Golly, fellas, I encounter this kind of bickering on other sites, but not here, generally. Sorry to see it.
Back to the OP's subject, I am leaning toward the Skinner for my new Sears/Marlin in .35 Remington. But I would go with an old steel Lyman if I could find one reasonable.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

IMO, there are better sights, but, for Tough, I'd opine that the factory leaf sight is the best.. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV