ammo shortage..&..how much r u shooting now?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

ammo shortage..&..how much r u shooting now?

Post by RIHMFIRE »

the only ammo that i buy is.... 22 and 30-06
everything else i shoot, i reload...
but over that last couple of years...
my trips to the range have dropped dramatically...
Most of my shooting was skeet, trap and 5 stand...
I used to hit the range every weekend unless i was hunting...
but now,... with the crappy economy...the price of lead shot...
I am lucky if i go once a month...
and now with the ammo shortage....and component shortage
I am not slinging a bunch of lead at targets much either..
Went out last weekend with the leverguns..
and maybe shot 20 rounds each of... 357, 44, & 45, and 50 of 22LR...
slow shooting....loading 1 at a time..and taking my time....

So...how much shooting are you guys doing.....or are you saving your ammo?
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: ammo shortage..&..how much r u shooting now?

Post by Shasta »

I haven't had to change my shooting habits because I have always maintained good stocks of .22 Long Rifle ammo, primers and powders, and I cast my own extensive array of bullets. I shoot NRA Cowboy Lever Action Rifle Silhouette, Cowboy Pistol Cartridge Silhouette, and Cowboy Lever Action Smallbore Silhouette each month all year long. In the summer months I add Muzzleloader matches, Black Powder Cartridge rifle matches, .22 Long range matches, and some High Power Rifle Silhouette matches.
I am low on some of my preferred powders, but have others I can substitute. The worst for me is the high price of diesel fuel, as I have to drive 66 miles one way to the rifle range. :(

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

My shooting is way down, but not for recent reasons.
The gold operation is eating up a lot of my time and energy.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My shooting is about the same as always... a cowboy match every few months. 120 rounds of 45 Colt and 24 rounds of 12ga. Every so often I plink a few rounds. Sometimes I even seriously work on a load. I still need to buy a Chrony™.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

shooting .22 cal every Friday with my friend...had horded 30,000 rnds ahead of time... :)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

RIHMFIRE wrote:slow shooting....loading 1 at a time..and taking my time....

So...how much shooting are you guys doing.....or are you saving your ammo?

I always shoot one at a time and semi slowly !

But then about all I do is shoot paper from the bench off the bags as afr as rifles are concerned .

I've been oughtta the country for the last 3 weeks so I've not fired a gun in about a month .

I do however have a bunch of 444 loads I wanna get shot up . As well as a Savage Axis 308 I need to sight in for a friend !

Hopefully if my sinus's will let up a bit I can get out the end of this week or early next week .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

My shooting habits have not changed at all :D :D
I go to a range on average about twice a week :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Gas price has affected my shooting more than ammo shortage. My closest rifle range is 30 miles away. 60 RT at 15 mpg at 3.65/ gallon

I broke out a box of .22s to shoot the TD10-22 I recently bought though. I can get away with 22's at my house if I shoot slow. Center fire, not so much. If I had to take a potshot at a rogue coyote no one would be concerned but multiple shots of center fire would probably bring questions :)
----- Doug
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

I have shot 820 rounds year to date maybe slightly higher than last year. Most of that was rimfire but 1/2 or so center fire, no .223 out of a black gun.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I still shoot 22cal weekly, but can't find any powder for big bore CF. I'm good, for pistol calibers, with lots of 2400. There is no W748 to found in the state of OR>
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I have only shot 40 rounds of .223 this year so far. Working up a load for my evil black rifle(NEF single shot)
30 rounds of 300 Savage, working up a load for a model 99 TD I traded for.
20 rounds of 30-06 out of my 1917
50 rounds of 22 hornet
10 rounds of 6.5 x55 just to verifiy zero on rifle I will be shooting in a match this weekend.
100 rounds of 45 acp, 41 mag, and 44 mag
200 rounds of 22 lr, just for fun
Supplies haven't slowed me up, available time has.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I'm shooting as much as I did before all this crazy stuff started, since I cast and load my own for 90% of what I shoot. Can't get any 22 rimfire for my lady's Ruger so what little bit I have on hand is being conserved for the time being.
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I don't just shoot for myself much lately, but I STILL try to have a 'newbie' session every couple of weeks, where I orient someone who has never shot at all.

Those sessions typically require a couple hundred rounds of 22 LR, then maybe fifty 9mm, 38 Special, and 357 Magnums. Then a half-dozen each of 44 Mag, 30-06, 308 Win or whatever.

It has caused me to gather together all the ammo and odds and ends so I can see just what I actually have; had more of some stuff than I realized and sadly less of some others.

I found a couple hundred rounds of 'leftovers' - the shooters equivalent of 'pocket change' leftover after shopping, and got them all together in an ammo can, so before I go out to shoot, I dig through that for the appropriate cartridges, instead of using up more of stuff still in boxes.

Need to get some time to do some reloading.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Same as usual here, but slow 'cause of rain/cold. I've been reloadng and shooting a bunch of 200 gr SWC in my 45ACPs lately looking for a reliable load (I just received an order from Rim Rock bullets 'cause I don't have a mold for 200 gr. SWC). Kinda hard shooting in 38-40 degree weather, hands get too cold...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

No change here. I shoot at least twice a month. :D
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Shootin about every week------.223 and .40S&W(handloads)
Also .22 & .25 pellets from Nitro Piston Airguns(almost daily at something) :wink:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

No change for me at all. I hit the gunclub every couple of weeks and shoot 350-450 rds of centerfire out of the 5 guns I usually bring. Last year I logged exactly 8,000 rds and plan on topping that this year as me and "The Gunny" are planning on attending more matches at different clubs.

The only componets I use up are primers and powder and by Lordy, I got LOTS. :D ----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I've got enough ammo stashed back that I feel comfortable with it, but then I'm not going out and burning it up either. The past couple of months, all the shooting I've done has been sighting in a project Marlin 1894C and the occasional something that needs to be shot around here.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I slow down alot in the winter, mostly cuz of the wind & working 6 days a week, now back to 5 days
a week & shorter days :D Now if the wind would stop, I could go shooting
I feel for you guys that have to drive a long ways to shoot, sometimes I have to put on my boots
to step out on the porch to shoot cuz it snowed a bit
No ammo shortage here, or any component, could use some more lead

ollogger
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Nothing has changed for me, I'm stocked up well before Clinton was elected and the first scare happened and have updated and replentished and added to every since. This scare doesn't affect me at all unless it lasts longer than say 75-80 years. :lol:

I shoot almost every day. I have a bench rest on the front porch and also a place to shoot up on the hill a couple miles from where I live (right where Blaine likes to elk hunt :wink: ) Plenty of powder, primers, lead, brass, shot, wads, etc. For instance, I am in the middle of reloading 900 rounds of .44's and some odds and ends like .35 Whelen, .444, 45-70, etc that I shot up over the past few weeks.

I need to get back to it right now :lol:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Wow...
I am very surprised to hear you guys are still blasting away...
now that we have a great trap and skeet fields about 3 miles away
it just erks me that i cant go as much as i want too...

just came back from a premier gun shop in the area...
and they had ammo...mostly for handgun...and mostly in 25 round boxes..

they had a nice 32 win sp take down, 26 octo barrel for 1100 smackers
and a boy scout 9422 lr for 15 benjamins :shock:

a rossi large loop model 92 trapper 45 lc got my attention...459
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

My shooting is down to almost nothing. I don't have much time because of work right now, and I got caught a little low on primers when this shortage started. I don't buy ammo, I cast and reload just about everything, so I wasn't stocked up on loaded ammo either. It pays to be prepared! I have learned my lesson the hard way, and if things ever settle down I won't get caught short again.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I still go to the indoor range every week and shoot some 22 lr. I generally shoot about 20 rounds a trip. I've come up with a new game that saves ammo - I put 1/4" yellow dots (cut out with a hole puncher) on a black background. I shoot until the dot disappears - sort of the opposite of "Shoot-n-See". Sometimes that happens on the first shot, or the second - no need to shoot groups of 5. Aiming is more accurate because if I miss, I still have the original aim point. With Shoot-n-See the groups grow because each hit expands the size a little and it's hard to decide exactly where to aim. And it's a nice little kick when the dot disappears.
dots.jpg
Here's a pic with one untouched target, and two examples. I think the most shots it took me was six, but several are first shot and most are 2 or 3. Even so the groups are smaller than they have been with the Shoot-n-See. When I really get this down I'll be able to do it in 5 shots. I have a membership so the range visit doesn't cost anything.

I haven't been to the silhouette range or outdoor range in some time - I have plenty of components but not the time or energy to load them.

A comment about this hole puncher - I went to Staples to buy smaller aiming dots. I was using 3/4" dots and was floating around inside them. I wanted smaller dots. They had them, but four 2 1/2" x5" pages of dots was about seven bucks. Four little pages. Lots of dots, yes, but... then I saw the hole puncher was $1.99, and I could punch all the dots I wanted. I was also thinking about punching a small hole in white paper and shooting at the hole. But this disappearing dot thing is fun - like shooting silhouette or flopping swingers that disappear when you hit them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

Not shooting anything at this time of year. I hate shooting in cold weather and I live in Northern WI so waiting for spring to sight in a couple of rifles that got new scopes on them last fall and have not been shot yet.
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

If anything my late winter shooting is heavier than ever before. I've got a couple rimfire Rugers I'm playing with, even went out and practiced field position shooting in the snow last weekend. Both days. Centerfires have taken a back burner but not for lack of supplies. I'd rather shoot than reload so while my supply of .22lr is holding up I doubt the centerfires will get shot more than about once a month till fall gets here. Now I will admit I'm not a high volume shooter. Most of my shooting would be called practice instead or plinkin and 50 rounds per range session is about average, 100 is a lot.

I timed some .22lr ammo just right. After x-mas I saw things getting bad and ordered up about 3200 .22lr to add to the 2000 I had. The day after I placed my Cabelas order both types of ammo I bought were listed as "sold out". Also stocked up on SP primers and powder just in a nick of time.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I haven't shot anything since mid-December. Think i'm gonna have a sore trigger finger by Sunday nite. Mostly 22LR and 223.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!